No Condemnation For Those In Christ, But... Sinning Believers Are Condemned Ro 14:23?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I am not. The people in vs 10 have already been saved by grace through faith minus works Vs 10 is a result of vs 8-9
Agreed.

That’s not the point of our discussion
Well, what is the point??

So are you saying their continued salvation is dependent on it? Let’s get to the point ok?
Yes. We are saved by grace through faith and that not of ourselves.
ONCE WE ARE SAVED,,,we are REQUIRED to do good works.
This I've shown using scripture.

Do you not agree that we're made in Christ Jesus for good works as in Ephessians 2:10?

I do not think so. But you appear to be saying this. That is why I am questioning you

I am not arguing

I am proving a point. Can you stick to it and focus?

So tell us. How do I miss the point

Nooe

My point is we will do good works

We will do good works.
OK
So, where's our difference?

You still prove you have a comprehension problem.

To be saved? No
To stay saved? No

A saved person WILL do good works

You’re trying to make it required when in reality it is a natural thing. We are created for good works and we will (not
Might) do them

Why is this hard for you to understand ?

Do you think work is required to stay saved

I have asked you this multiple times. Will you answer?
I've stated very clearly that WORKS ARE NECESSARY TO STAY SAVED.

If God give a COMMAND, and we do NOT obey Him, will we be continually saved forever or will He run out of patience at some point?

So, are we really discussing OSAS here?

Yawn

Answer the question. I can’t help unless you let us all know what you believe concerning how we are saved

Your all over the place
I think I've been very clear.
We are saved by God's grace through our faith.
Ephesians 2:8-9

Created in Christ Jesus for good works ...
Ephesians 2:10

Reactions: GracePeace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
James

What does it prophit a person if the CLAIM to have faith but has no works. Can that faith save them?

If you think heaters of the word and not doers are saved. Then you are already off to a bad start

Already did it

That’s what you appear to be oreaching
OK
I'm not here to preach or to teach.
I'm here to discuss .... that's all.

lol you appear to be saying it and grace peace defiantly believes it as many others di

Do you think speaking in all caps will make you right?
I know that speaking in caps these days means one is shouting.
I'm a professional typist and using caps is for EMPHASIS.

That's why I use it.
Guess I'm old-fashioned...
Your decieved if you think no o e teaches it

I've never heard this.
The OT and the NT state clearly that FAITH SAVES.
Paul said that if it is of works then it cannot be OF FAITH.

This can all stop if you just answer

Are works required to be saved. Stay saved and or keep from losing salvation
Yes.
And herein is the problem.
We're really discussing if it's necessary to obey God....
??
God demands that we do good works.
We're really discussing OSAS.
Bingo.

A simple yes or no will
Suffice

I will say your pride is getting on my nerve either show you understand what I am asking or prove your just another know it all who is unable to
Comprehend what others are trying to show you
Certainly am not a know it all.
Is anyone???
Paul did not preach with fancy words...
1 Cor 2:1
Let's keep it simple.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The Bible clearly states in many passages of scripture that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (Luke 7:50; 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 11:17; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-9, 26; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..).

Now you don't need to add the word "alone" next to "belief/faith" in each of these passages of scripture in order to figure out that the words, "belief/faith" stand alone in connection with receiving eternal life/salvation. Hence, FAITH ALONE. Do these many passages of scripture say belief/faith "plus something else?" Plus, works? NO. *So, then it's faith (rightly understood) in Christ alone.

Not to be confused with an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains "alone" - barren of works. (James 2:14-24)

In regard to James 2:24, James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is shown to be righteous. James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)

Not by an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains "alone" - barren of works. (James 2:14) Hence, faith alone.

Yes, faith that remains alone (barren of works) is not genuine faith but a bare profession of faith, dead faith.
Interesting....I'm just seeing this.
No alert....

Have you been reading my posts to EG?
Are you and I having the same misunderstanding?

Are we really discussing OSAS here?

IOW, are you saying that you don't believe works KEEP US SAVED...

Dinner time.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting....I'm just seeing this.
No alert....

Have you been reading my posts to EG?
Are you and I having the same misunderstanding?

Are we really discussing OSAS here?

IOW, are you saying that you don't believe works KEEP US SAVED...

Dinner time.
OSAS is a misnomer. Most people argue against calvinism, since they think it is a calvinist term

I prefer eternal security

Is our faith in christ, or how good we are.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@mailmandan

I saw 2 or 3 posts of yours to which I received no alert.
Will try to get to them later....

The not being Christian is a general conclusion I've come to....
If a person believes God requires nothing from him and he could continue in his old life,
then I doubt he should be called a Christian.

This does not mean he's not saved.
Only God can know that.
But it CAN mean that he's following a different religion.
Christianity teaches a transformation in a person which encompasses good works.

No insult intended toward you.
Sorry.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK
I'm not here to preach or to teach.
I'm here to discuss .... that's all.

I know that speaking in caps these days means one is shouting.
I'm a professional typist and using caps is for EMPHASIS.

That's why I use it.
Guess I'm old-fashioned...

I've never heard this.
The OT and the NT state clearly that FAITH SAVES.
Paul said that if it is of works then it cannot be OF FAITH.
Have you read @GracePeace posts?

He definalty believes it
Yes.
And herein is the problem.
We're really discussing if it's necessary to obey God....
??
God demands that we do good works.
We're really discussing OSAS.
Bingo.
I have been discussing those who claim we keep saved by works, vs those who teach works are a result of salvation

Not OSAS..
Certainly am not a know it all.
Is anyone???
Paul did not preach with fancy words...
1 Cor 2:1
Let's keep it simple.
So lets discuss works.

works used to stay saved

vs works due to being saved

one is required works, while the others are empowered works.

Does God change us, or does he fail

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@mailmandan

I saw 2 or 3 posts of yours to which I received no alert.
Will try to get to them later....

The not being Christian is a general conclusion I've come to....
If a person believes God requires nothing from him and he could continue in his old life,
then I doubt he should be called a Christian.
Again, it comes to what is the root of the question

Is it required to stay saved?

Otherwise. We know that those born of God WILL WORK. So its not really a requirment is it?

A licentious gospel is no gospel at all. But neither is a legalistic gospel of works.

Reactions: mailmandan

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Have you read @GracePeace posts?

He definalty believes it

I have been discussing those who claim we keep saved by works, vs those who teach works are a result of salvation

Not OSAS..

So lets discuss works.

works used to stay saved

vs works due to being saved

one is required works, while the others are empowered works.

Does God change us, or does he fail
I have to go for a while....
but it's like this:

A SLAVE WORKS BECAUSE HE HAS TO.
A FRIEND WORKS BECAUSE HE WANTS TO.

We're the second.

I worry a lot about cheap grace and easy believism which is incorrrect doctrine.

Maybe we should move ahead in the discussion?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, it's about Christ, and it has implications for what it means for His disciples to be abiding in Him--and 1 Jn 3:23,24 says if we keep His commands we abide in Him (also Jn 15). Keeping commands is not sinning.
Okay, but committing a sin does not necessarily indicate that one is no longer abiding in Christ. In 1 John 5, he draws a distinction between sins leading to death and sins not leading to death. Only those who commit a sin leading to death are no longer abiding in Christ.

Next, John frames the Christian walk in terms of walking in the light. And those who are walking in the light have fellowship with God.

1 John 1:7-10 If we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Fellowship with God and walking in the light requires that a man admit that he sins, never deny that he sins, confesses his sins and he trusts that Jesus will forgive his sins and cleanse him from all unrighteousness.

So then, according to John, those who are abiding in Christ will never say that they have no sins. And there are sins that don't lead unto death. Therefore, it is not true that a sin indicates a falling away from Christ.

Paul says something similar in Romans 8, where he says that we have been freed from the Law of sin and death. That principle is no longer viable in the life of those in Christ.

When Peter sinned, "he stood condemned"--but there's "no condemnation for those in Christ".
There is no scriptural support for your view that Peter stood condemned.
Yes, we can be forgiven--that is obedience to the first part of the Law of Faith
Sorry. I have never read anything in the Bible about a Law of faith.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to go for a while....
but it's like this:

A SLAVE WORKS BECAUSE HE HAS TO.
A FRIEND WORKS BECAUSE HE WANTS TO.

We're the second.

I worry a lot about cheap grace and easy believism which is incorrrect doctrine.

Maybe we should move ahead in the discussion?
I agree about licentiousness or what you call easy believing. But legalism is not the answer. We must go against both.

Legalism is a far more prevalent false gospel than easy believing. I have never met a licentious person but have met many a legalist

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but committing a sin does not necessarily indicate that one is no longer abiding in Christ. In 1 John 5, he draws a distinction between sins leading to death and sins not leading to death. Only those who commit a sin leading to death are no longer abiding in Christ.
So, now we agree that there are some who abide in Christ who cease to abide, and that it's because they go away to chase sin?
Next, John frames the Christian walk in terms of walking in the light. And those who are walking in the light have fellowship with God.

1 John 1:7-10 If we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Fellowship with God and walking in the light requires that a man admit that he sins, never deny that he sins, confesses his sins and he trusts that Jesus will forgive his sins and cleanse him from all unrighteousness.

So then, according to John, those who are abiding in Christ will never say that they have no sins. And there are sins that don't lead unto death. Therefore, it is not true that a sin indicates a falling away from Christ.
1. I want to come back to this in a bit because it is a good objection, which may assist in arriving at a better understanding for me, but I have a couple things to do quickly.
2. I never said every instance of not remaining was equal to "falling away from Christ" ("'My soul will have no pleasure in him'... unto destruction").
Paul says something similar in Romans 8, where he says that we have been freed from the Law of sin and death. That principle is no longer viable in the life of those in Christ.
There is no "principle" being spoken of--Paul is juxtaposing Sin against God, and both rulers issue decrees.
There is no scriptural support for your view that Peter stood condemned.
Paul literally uses those words.
Sorry. I have never read anything in the Bible about a Law of faith.
Romans 3:27 literally uses those words.
How could faith be counted as righteousness unless it was the fulfillment of what God wanted, thus commanded (eg, "God commands all men everywhere repent...") which is also called a "law".

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If being "in Christ" were about baptism, in particular, then wouldn't "not remaining" have to involve getting "un-baptized"? "Remaining" "in Christ", rather, is about keeping God's command to i) believe and ii) walk in love/faith (1 Jn 3:23,24)--that's the only way to reconcile Ro 8:1 with Ro 14:23.
I pointed you to Acts chapter 19 so that you might see how people spoke about being "in" a teacher or "into his teaching." I can see now that it is helpful to be more specific.

Acts 19:1-7 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. There were in all about twelve men.

Notice the terminology here. Paul wants the disciples to identify their teacher and what he taught. Here, the term "baptism" means "immersed." Paul asks the disciples, "Into what teaching were you immersed?" They answered, "Into John's baptism," meaning they were immersed in John's teaching. They were John's disciples, and they studied under John.

Before Paul, no one talked about being "in Christ" or "into Christ." Paul is the first to mention it. Why? Because Christ only baptized a few people himself. Rather, the Twelve apostles were his proxy, and they were to baptize "in my name." (Matthew 28:19-20) For this reason, Acts 19 records, "When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."

The point is, Paul coined the term "in Christ" in Romans 8 to discuss the elect of God who were without condemnation, being sanctified by/with the Spirit of God and having the spirit of Christ.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I agree about licentiousness or what you call easy believing. But legalism is not the answer. We must go against both.
Do you mean licentiousness?

wanton disregard or transgression of laws, rules, or moral norms:
Legalism is a far more prevalent false gospel than easy believing. I have never met a licentious person but have met many a legalist
How do you define legalism?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you mean licentiousness?

wanton disregard or transgression of laws, rules, or moral norms:
I am thinking of what Jude said. They turn the grace of God to licentiousness.
A legalistic code. We achieve salvation by this code of works.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pointed you to Acts chapter 19 so that you might see how people spoke about being "in" a teacher or "into his teaching." I can see now that it is helpful to be more specific.

Acts 19:1-7 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. There were in all about twelve men.

Notice the terminology here. Paul wants the disciples to identify their teacher and what he taught. Here, the term "baptism" means "immersed." Paul asks the disciples, "Into what teaching were you immersed?" They answered, "Into John's baptism," meaning they were immersed in John's teaching. They were John's disciples, and they studied under John.

Before Paul, no one talked about being "in Christ" or "into Christ." Paul is the first to mention it. Why? Because Christ only baptized a few people himself. Rather, the Twelve apostles were his proxy, and they were to baptize "in my name." (Matthew 28:19-20) For this reason, Acts 19 records, "When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."

The point is, Paul coined the term "in Christ" in Romans 8 to discuss the elect of God who were without condemnation, being sanctified by/with the Spirit of God and having the spirit of Christ.
1. Paul couldn't figure out whar Apollos could've been baptized into, because for him it was synonymous, at that point, with being baptized in the Name of Jesus for the remission of sins and receiving the Holy Spirit, so, it turned out that that message had not yet reached Apollos, but he had only been baptized confessing his sins with John (this, to me, actually, explains why Jesus was able to say "Behold, an Israelite, indeed, in whom is no guile"--he had partaken in John's baptism, confessing his sins).

2. Nevertheless, since your point is really about "the elect of God who were without condemnation, being sanctified by/with the Spirit of God and having the spirit of Christ" : you already admitted that some do not remain, but, sinning sins unto death, are separated from the fellowship with God (eternal life is to know God (Jn 17:3)).

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Its believing that you can lose your salvation.

As once you have developed that type of broken faith, your faith is no longer trusting that Christ alone is going to get you into heaven, as otherwise, you would not believe that you can lose your salvation.

So, a person who believes that they can lose their salvation is putting more trust in themselves to lose it, then they will put in Christ to keep them saved.

This person has to ask themselves this question...

= I believe that Christ does not keep me saved.........which is why i believe that i can lose my salvation... so... ....if i dont trust in Christ to KEEP ME SAVED.. then .. who do i trust?

And right there, they will find is their FAITH issue....

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, now we agree that there are some who abide in Christ who cease to abide, and that it's because they go away to chase sin?
I believe that once a person is genuinely being saved they are always in fellowship with God. Their sins are forgiven, and they remain in a permanent relationship with Him.

You believe that sin can disrupt fellowship with God. When a believer sins, they need to confess and seek forgiveness to restore that fellowship.

If you insist that "abiding in Christ" involves a dynamic relationship where sin can disrupt fellowship, then we don't share common ground on which to progress in our discussion. Everything I have said so far is predicated on the idea that "abiding in Christ" is a steady state. Even those who sin, John says, are in fellowship with God because they confess their sins and place their trust in their advocate.

2. I never said every instance of not remaining was equal to "falling away from Christ" ("'My soul will have no pleasure in him'... unto destruction").
Well, that wasn't very clear to me because I don't know anyone who believes that sin can disrupt fellowship, who hasn't given up on Christianity altogether, or hasn't committed suicide. Eventually, they all figure out that "Christianity" doesn't work. It is virtually impossible to maintain a relationship with God if it requires ongoing repentance and confession. How can one know for certain if one has confessed all their sins? What if they forgot one or two? Your theology doesn't work in real life.

There is no "principle" being spoken of--Paul is juxtaposing Sin against God, and both rulers issue decrees.
I think you may not understand Paul's terminology again.

In the following passage, Paul uses the same Greek word three times, which the translator has translated as "Law."

Romans 8:2-3 For the law [ νόμος ] of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law [ νόμου ] of sin and of death. 3 For what the Law [ νόμου ] could not do, weak as it was through the flesh . . .

In verse 3, Paul refers to the Jewish Law, which is the Torah. The English meaning of the word Torah is "instruction." Thus, our understanding of verse 2 comes from Paul's reference to "the instruction" in verse 3. In these two verses, Paul identifies a new and different source of teaching and education: the Spirit of God. In Paul's words, "The Torah of the Spirit of God has set us free from the Torah of sin and death."

In other words, those in Christ are being instructed by the Holy Spirit now, which has freed us from being taught by a system of sin and death. Those in Christ have found pardon and forgiveness, and if a follower of Christ should "misstep" the follower has an advocate with the Father.

The point is, sinning does not indicate that a person in Christ has left Christ.

Paul literally uses those words.
Okay, but my point was concerning Peter's betrayal of Jesus. I suppose one could argue that Peter wasn't in fellowship with Christ when he betrayed him. But Christ knew what would happen and prayed to the Father that Peter wouldn't fall. And Peter didn't fall.
Romans 3:27 literally uses those words.
You are right. I forgot about that passage because I don't think Paul was speaking about a "law of faith" in the literal sense. In that context the "νόμου πίστεως" refers to the new covenant (law) which is based on belief in the Son of God.
How could faith be counted as righteousness unless it was the fulfillment of what God wanted, thus commanded (eg, "God commands all men everywhere repent...") which is also called a "law".
Please remember the following text:
"Our translations read, 'Abraham was accounted as righteous in light of his faith.' (or something like that.) In that context, the talk is not about being virtuous, honorable, or morally right. Instead, Abraham was accounted as justified, which refers to his having a right standing before God. Abraham was declared 'in the right' concerning his belief in what God promised."