No Condemnation For Those In Christ, But... Sinning Believers Are Condemned Ro 14:23?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Condemnation For Those In Christ, But... Sinning Believers Are Condemned Ro 14:23?

No condemnation For Those IN Christ…
True.

Sinning Believers Are Condemned?
False.

“Sinning Believer”….oxymoron

“Doubter” is not a believer.

Rom 14:23 IS a Warning to Doubters.
Rom 14:23 IS a Revealed Means to Overcome their Doubts, their Sin, their path to damnation..

“Doubter” WHO, fails to (Hear, Eat, Consume) the WORD of God, Will Continue Doubting, Continue Being Against God…
And shall end up being Damned.

Rom 14:
[23] And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
His action was not from faith, breaking the rule "each man should be fully convinced in his own mind", which is a rule for believers..

Why would Paul declare an unbeliever who ate without faith Condemned for eating without faith? He knows the unbeliever is already condemned.

Ro 14:23 says "he who wavers", but that assumes they already have their bearings, and then begin to lose their bearings (waver).

No, rather, this refers to a believer who is harmed/destroyed by being caused to do something that he does not actually have the faith to do, as in 1 Co 8, the brother who sees his brother eating food offered to idols in a temple.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course.

God describes that as stubborn and stiffed-necked.
Jesus elaborated to that being ever hearing but failing to come to the understanding.

Then arises the Conundrum…

Rather than disagreeing and having a discussion of different point of views and WHY…

The gaslighting, negative accusations, name-calling trickles in… when the gaslighter has not the where-with-all…to state the WHY and valid application of his own point of view.

So far…his WHY, is an others’ view “doesn’t make sense to him”…

Views based ON Spiritual Understanding…
IS NOT SUPPOSED TO, CAN NOT, MAKE SENSE TO A CARNAL MINDED UNDERSTANDING!

Remaining on the merry-go-round, has ceased to benefit him, but rather may be a benefit to others who are NOT stiff-necked.

As Jesus spoke things to one, for the benefit of others standing by, to hear…

John 11:
[42] And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

Glory to God,
Taken
Stop being carnal, stop disagreeing with my Spiritual view.

• Wow
Reactions: mailmandan

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, rather, this refers to a believer who is harmed/destroyed by being caused to do something that he does not actually have the faith to do, as in 1 Co 8, the brother who sees his brother eating food offered to idols in a temple.
This can be in the negative or in the positive--he may be caused to think he must do something that he does not believe in, that does not proceed from his heart, which is actually contrary to his faith in and love for God, or he may be caused to think that he may do something he doesn't actually believe in.

On one hand, this is the error of the Judaizers, of legalism, because "the law is not of faith", the righteousness it demands does not proceed from "looking away unto Jesus", but proceeds from "flesh" (Gal 3:1-3); on the other hand, it's the pitfall of practicing your liberty in a way that your brother misinterprets, and, his mind, being tempted, takes the opportunity of your doing it as a precedent to make an excuse for why it is OK, but his heart not actually having the faith, but actually retaining the conviction against the act, he does the act without faith. Why? Why do people do things they do not believe? "All that is in the world--the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and boasting pride of life..." : one of these three was what made him go against his conviction.

Whatever does not proceed from faith is sin, because it is not God's righteousness, thus it is not love for God, and it is not love for others, because "faith works through love".

Even "good" things are sins if they do not proceed from faith.

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IF by the spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh you will live is a contingency, and IF you walk after the flesh you will die is a contingency--parallel with the command not to submit your members to sin unto death but to God unto life in Ro 6--so "no dice".
Unfortunately, you introduce the concept of contingent salvation to the text. I find it unfortunate because in Romans chapter 8, Paul eliminates all contingency from salvation.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in Galatians does Paul talk about falling away?
That's already been described to you.
They were "deserting God" through another Gospel (ie, unbelief) Gal 1:6.
This was after they'd already believed the Gospel and received the Spirit Gal 3:1-3.
Paul had to form Christ in them again, bring then back to faith Gal 4:19.
They were severed from Christ Gal 5:4.
They HAD held the faith but had been hindered thereafter Gal 5:7.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still, they're told they'll live IF and die IF, just as Romans 6, so your view is not sensical.
It might seem confusing to you, but it's important to remember that we may not share the same beliefs. For instance, while we both agree that God is ultimately the source of salvation, you believe that human action also plays a part in achieving salvation. You think that God does his part and we do ours. However, I don't share that view. According to the scriptures, salvation is not dependent on human action, but rather eternal life is given to individuals based on their relationship with the Spirit.

That's been debunked.
Saying something is debunked doesn't make it so.

No, Paul doesn't say that, as explained.
Asserting something isn't the same thing as explaining something.
He says to mortify... just as in Ro 8:12,13, debunking your view that it's about identity.
I firmly stand by my viewpoint. I have been explaining the common technique of Bible interpretation, which involves understanding the author's perspective. This means paying attention to how an author uses a specific term, like "flesh," and also noting when the author uses a different term, such as "body."

Consider the verse in question.

Romans 8:12-13 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Have you noticed when Paul changed his terminology? According to Paul, are we putting to death the deeds of the flesh, or are we putting to death the deeds of the body? He says we are putting to death the deeds of the Body.

In this passage, the Apostle discusses two methods for overcoming the sinful tendencies of the body: 1) living according to the flesh, and 2) living according to the spirit. In both cases, the goal is to suppress the sinful behavior of the body. This suggests that the "flesh" doesn't represent our sin nature. If someone lives in accordance with their sin nature, they would produce more sinful behavior rather than less.

Believers are free from the legalistic requirements of Jewish Law. Living according to the Spirit means being led by the Spirit and involving moral reasoning guided by the Spirit. Those who attempt to mortify the deeds of the body "according to the flesh" are attempting to live by keeping all the rules.

How we go about mortifying the deeds of the body is at issue here.
What translation?
You're addressing the METHOD of mortifying the deeds of the flesh, you're not addressing the fact that deeds of the flesh refers to sin, as I stated, and that there're contingencies Paul presents. It's really simple.
Take note of Paul's change in terminology. He speaks about the deeds of the "soma" not the deeds of the "sarx".
Nope, the Law of Faith regards convictions.
But not all "condemnation" is a death sentence.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure how that's relevant.
It relates to how we understand each other. To my ears, the term "Christian" means different things in different contexts.

Earlier you asked me, "So, you believe Romans 7 describes the life he lived BEFORE Christ, it doesn't describe his Christian life, right?"

Many people associate Christianity with church attendance, but it's important to remember that our faith is a shared journey. When Paul describes his conversion experience in Romans 7, he's speaking to all of us who have experienced spiritual enlightenment brought about by the Spirit of God.

In a previous post, you mentioned, "There is no sin in Christ," which seemed to imply that a person "in Christ" cannot or will not sin. However, I prefer to avoid oversimplifying things with slogans and strive for clarity and accuracy. While it is indeed true that Christ never sinned, it is not true that his followers never experienced moral failure.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's already been described to you.
They were "deserting God" through another Gospel (ie, unbelief) Gal 1:6.
This was after they'd already believed the Gospel and received the Spirit Gal 3:1-3.
Paul had to form Christ in them again, bring then back to faith Gal 4:19.
They were severed from Christ Gal 5:4.
They HAD held the faith but had been hindered thereafter Gal 5:7.
Okay, if you say you described it to me before, I must have forgotten or missed it. My apologies.

I hesitate to accuse the Galatians of deserting God for another gospel since Paul writes, "I have confidence in you in the Lord that you will adopt no other view; but the one who is disturbing you will bear his judgment, whoever he is." In light of this, I think accusing the Galatians of deserting God or the true gospel would be unfair.

I must admit, even after your summary, I can't understand what your objection was to my answer to @Ritajanice concerning Paul's mention of "the deeds of the flesh."

Reactions: Ritajanice

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It might seem confusing to you
It's not "confusing" to me, I am certain that your view is incoherent and inconsistent with the Scriptures.
For instance, while we both agree that God is ultimately the source of salvation, you believe that human action also plays a part in achieving salvation. You think that God does his part and we do ours.
You are not acquainted with the Scripture, so you define any activity at all as "work":
a. Again, when the land has its Sabbath, it is still active, but that activity is not "work". If it "works", it breaks its Sabbath. It only "works" if it is tilled, if its vines are pruned, or if someone performs a harvest on it. That is, it only "works" if someone establishes a Master-Slave relationship with it. Otherwise, it is resting. However, that does not mean it is completely inactive. It produces fruit and people may still eat. Its activity is not "work". Activity that is done while resting does not qualify as "work".
Jesus says "come to Me and you will find rest"--He doesn't mean "you will be inactive", but that the works we produce while resting in Him do not qualify as a righteousness of our own from the Law, works, but God's righteousness (Ro 1:17. 3:27, 14:5, 23), a gift (Ro 5:15-17, 6:20-23).
b. When we walk in faith, that is not "works". Again, you think any activity falls under the category of "work". "Works" pertain to our own righteousness, but walking in faith is God's righteousness--so much so that Paul defines the preacher preaching the Gospel as "Christ came and preached to you", and "I was abundant in labors above them all, yet, not I, but the grace with me", and "I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ". Thus, walking in faith is, categorically, not "works", since that would pertain to "a righteousness of my own", but "God's righteousness is revealed from faith to faith".
c. Judges 7:2+ shows a precedent for God alone being the Savior, and, yet, man still being involved in God alone being the Savior. Men obey God, and God alone is the Savior.
Notably, however, which I think is near the core of our disagreement, in Judges 7:2+, when God solves the problem of men boasting when He alone saves, the fearful must not involve themselves. Why? Somehow, it is entangled with boasting. In God being Savior, no flesh may boast, but this also means that fear is not to be involved--to fear is inexorably entangled with the idea that self is performing (Ro 8:15)--so my contentions about remaining in Christ by walking in faith cannot be to arouse fear in people. Indeed, Paul describes the manner of living as "giving thanks" (Ro 14).
d. "Each man has his gift"--therefore, walking in faith is classified as a "gift".

Conclusion : When we walk in faith, that is considered a "gift"--the "gift" of righteousness whereby we are justified as a "gift" in the future Judgment (Ro 2:6-16).
According to the scriptures, salvation is not dependent on human action, but rather eternal life is given to individuals based on their relationship with the Spirit.
You don't know the Scriptures.
Saying something is debunked doesn't make it so.
Yeah, the debunking debunks it--you opt to disagree with the debunking, but your mere opting, contrary to Scripture and logic, to disagree does not make it un-debunked. It just means you disagree.
Asserting something isn't the same thing as explaining something.
I said "as explained" : you are free to interact with the explanation, I do not have to keep repeating myself.
I firmly stand by my viewpoint. I have been explaining the common technique of Bible interpretation, which involves understanding the author's perspective. This means paying attention to how an author uses a specific term, like "flesh," and also noting when the author uses a different term, such as "body."

Consider the verse in question.

Romans 8:12-13 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Have you noticed when Paul changed his terminology? According to Paul, are we putting to death the deeds of the flesh, or are we putting to death the deeds of the body? He says we are putting to death the deeds of the Body.

In this passage, the Apostle discusses two methods for overcoming the sinful tendencies of the body: 1) living according to the flesh, and 2) living according to the spirit. In both cases, the goal is to suppress the sinful behavior of the body. This suggests that the "flesh" doesn't represent our sin nature. If someone lives in accordance with their sin nature, they would produce more sinful behavior rather than less.
You will die if you live according to the flesh because the flesh has sinful desires, and sin leads to death. This is in accord with his instruction in Romans 6.
Believers are free from the legalistic requirements of Jewish Law. Living according to the Spirit means being led by the Spirit and involving moral reasoning guided by the Spirit. Those who attempt to mortify the deeds of the body "according to the flesh" are attempting to live by keeping all the rules.
I could see why you would see it that way--and, preliminarily, I will agree--but, again, all this does is prove there is a contingency, which would be my point. Clearly, they had not been so doing, because he indicted them as "hypocrites", who were "storing up wrath", for their boasting in their Jewishness, part of which was their knowledge of good and evil from the Law, without actually performing the righteousness they espoused (Ro 2), for this very reason of, contrary to their Gentile Christian brothers, not relying on grace.
How we go about mortifying the deeds of the body is at issue here.
Still, it's a contingency. They will die if they do not mortify the deeds of the flesh.
What translation?
I looked it up in the Greek, and, indeed, it does say "according to the flesh". You were correct. I was incorrect.
Take note of Paul's change in terminology. He speaks about the deeds of the "soma" not the deeds of the "sarx".
The deeds of the soma, sins, must be mortified--IF the audience does not do that, they will be "condemned" and die, not be "justified" and live. Contingency.
But not all "condemnation" is a death sentence.
1. So, now, you concede "each man must be fully convinced in his own mind" is a Law (the Law of Faith), but, still, you deny the "condemnation" is a "death sentence". I never said he would be condemned to wrath for a single instance of sin by breaking the Law of Faith.
That said, sin leads to death--what ever is not of faith is sin, unto condemnation.
Death will result without correction--as both James (James 2) and Paul (Ro 2:6-16) say, his justification is at stake, and, as Paul says, he is condemned.
2. You, now, admit there is "condemnation"--good. There is "no condemnation" for those "in Christ". We know that remaining "in Christ" is by obeying His command to i. believe in the Name of God's Son, and ii. love one another (Jn 15; 1 Jn 3:23,24), so, ipso facto, by sinning, he is not remaining "in Christ" where there is "no condemnation".

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It relates to how we understand each other. To my ears, the term "Christian" means different things in different contexts.
To me, because I understand there are good and bad Christians, whereas you would say there are "true believers" and "false believers", I just say "Christian" to refer to all "true believers", and I take into account that not all remain in Christ.
Earlier you asked me, "So, you believe Romans 7 describes the life he lived BEFORE Christ, it doesn't describe his Christian life, right?"

Many people associate Christianity with church attendance, but it's important to remember that our faith is a shared journey. When Paul describes his conversion experience in Romans 7, he's speaking to all of us who have experienced spiritual enlightenment brought about by the Spirit of God.

In a previous post, you mentioned, "There is no sin in Christ," which seemed to imply that a person "in Christ" cannot or will not sin. However, I prefer to avoid oversimplifying things with slogans and strive for clarity and accuracy. While it is indeed true that Christ never sinned, it is not true that his followers never experienced moral failure.
The basic fact is that not all remain "in Christ"--some sin.
In Christ, there is no sin.

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, if you say you described it to me before, I must have forgotten or missed it. My apologies.

I hesitate to accuse the Galatians of deserting God for another gospel since Paul writes, "I have confidence in you in the Lord that you will adopt no other view; but the one who is disturbing you will bear his judgment, whoever he is." In light of this, I think accusing the Galatians of deserting God or the true gospel would be unfair.

I must admit, even after your summary, I can't understand what your objection was to my answer to @Ritajanice concerning Paul's mention of "the deeds of the flesh."
1719513060175.gif

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hesitate to accuse the Galatians of deserting God for another gospel
You hesitate to believe Paul's words, then.
since Paul writes, "I have confidence in you in the Lord that you will adopt no other view; but the one who is disturbing you will bear his judgment, whoever he is." In light of this, I think accusing the Galatians of deserting God or the true gospel would be unfair.
Galatians 1:6, 5:7.
It was proof that not all remain "in Christ", because remaining is by obeying God's command to i. believe in the Name of God's Son, and ii. love one another (ie, walk in faith--faith works by love), and, here, we see the Galatians were not obeying the first part of the Command, but had gone after another Gospel (Gal 1:6), and "HAD run well [had been in faith in the past]" but had been "hindered from obeying the truth" (Gal 5:7).

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me, because I understand there are good and bad Christians, whereas you would say there are "true believers" and "false believers", I just say "Christian" to refer to all "true believers", and I take into account that not all remain in Christ.
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

The basic fact is that not all remain "in Christ"--some sin.
In Christ, there is no sin.
And why do you consider sin to be the marker of someone who is no longer in Christ?

As I read John's gospel, the marker of one who has fallen away is a matter of belief, not a matter of act. To fall away from Jesus is to reject his teaching.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You hesitate to believe Paul's words, then.

Galatians 1:6, 5:7.

It was proof that not all remain "in Christ", because remaining is by obeying God's command to i. believe in the Name of God's Son, and ii. love one another (ie, walk in faith--faith works by love), and, here, we see the Galatians were not obeying the first part of the Command, but had gone after another Gospel (Gal 1:6), and "HAD run well [had been in faith in the past]" but had been "hindered from obeying the truth" (Gal 5:7).
But I see no evidence from the book of Galatians that a person who was once "in Christ" fell away. We should not assume that everyone who reads the letter is a "true believer", a Christian, or someone who is "in Christ." Therefore we can not assume that everyone who disobeyed God in Galatia was formerly "in Christ."

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And why do you consider sin to be the marker of someone who is no longer in Christ?

As I read John's gospel, the marker of one who has fallen away is a matter of belief, not a matter of act. To fall away from Jesus is to reject his teaching.
As already explained to you, over and over and over again, "belief" is a "command" (1 Jn 3:23,24), thus, disobeying that command is, by definition, a sin : even if we granted that "we only need to believe", which I don't, it is a sin to not believe, and when people are led away by a false Gospel, that is breaking God's command, the Law of Faith, which is actually a singular two-staged Law (i. believe in the Name of God's Son, ii. love one another--this is why sinful behavior is termed "denying the Lord").

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I see no evidence from the book of Galatians that a person who was once "in Christ" fell away. We should not assume that everyone who reads the letter is a "true believer", a Christian, or someone who is "in Christ." Therefore we can not assume that everyone who disobeyed God in Galatia was formerly "in Christ."
You can "not see" the evidence all you want.
As already explained to you, Paul says they "HAD run well".
That is an explicit acknowledgement that they HAD had faith.
AFTERWARDS, someone "hindered" them from "obeying the truth" (Gal 5:7).
Together with Galatians 3:1+ there should be no question they'd had faith.
They heard the Gospel, believed, and received the Spirit.
Afterwards, they deserted God, they were severed from Christ.
By definition, you cannot desert something you haven't been with.
By definition, you cannot be severed from something you weren't a part of.