Why I Am a Cessationist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
He posted some information, you don't have to read it.

Much love!
I believe this is civic from BAM brother-a wolf in sheep's clothing, strong words, but it's the truth and I have given the link.

Should you wish to read it from Grace Ambassadors.

God bless marks
Johann.

[That sly fox is very busy, I noticed]

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
His judgements and statutes are written in His word.
You need to know His Living word in your spirit...Born Of The Spirit...only Gods Living Witness can give heart/ spirit revelation...when he makes our spirit Born Again.

The written word is not God..God is a Living powerful Spirit..his power is beyond our comprehension.
When we accept Jesus, we become new creatures--we lose our stony heart. We want to do His Will. Everyonr who is saved is given the Holy Spirit. I don't have a problem with that.. The Bible shows us all about Jesus, and what He has done for us, and how we are to treat one another, and obey Him.It also tells us what is going to happen in the future. And the counsel is given to us is clear :

Rev 1:3 View attachment 46720
That’s your opinion.

Jesus doesn’t say that...those are your words.

We are Born Again by Gods Living Witness His Living Holy Spirit...our spirit is Born Again.

The Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are Gods children / Born Again.

That’s exactly how I was Born Again, plus how he explained to Nicodemus how we are Born Again.

It is a Living Spirit Birth..I am a spirit child of God.

The natural man/ woman would have no understanding of this.

You are reading the Bible imo in your own human understanding..

I am taught to understand God’s word by my helper and teacher, the Living Holy Spirit..in spirit and truth..as I know God in my spirit...hence you must be Born Again to see the Kingdom Of God.

Born Again in our spirit..not by Biblical reading.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
did you read the mocking of the gifts of the spirit ?
Go back to the hole you came out from-or keep wasting time playing golf you sly fox.

Context (Matthew 23:27-28, ESV):
Verse 27-28:
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness. So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."

Exegesis:
Whitewashed Tombs: In Jewish culture, whitewashing tombs was a practice to make them visually clean and avoid ceremonial defilement. Jesus uses this imagery to illustrate how the Pharisees and scribes outwardly appeared righteous and holy but were spiritually corrupt.

Dead People's Bones and Uncleanness: The metaphorical use of "dead people's bones" symbolizes spiritual death and impurity. Despite their external display of piety and adherence to religious rituals, internally they were filled with moral decay, hypocrisy, and moral impurity.

Hypocrisy and Lawlessness: Jesus exposes the disconnect between their outward religious observance and their inward spiritual condition. Their actions did not align with the true heart of God's law, which emphasizes love, justice, and mercy.

Application:
Internal vs. External: This passage challenges believers to examine their own hearts and motivations. It warns against superficial religiosity or outward appearances that mask inner spiritual decay.

Authenticity and Integrity: Christians are called to live with authenticity and integrity, aligning their outward actions with genuine faith and a transformed heart.

Honest Self-Reflection: It encourages believers to engage in honest self-reflection and repentance, seeking genuine spiritual renewal and transformation through Christ.

Conclusion:
The phrase "dead inside, full of dead man's bones" from Matthew 23:27 serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of genuine faith and integrity in Christian life. It calls us to examine our hearts, ensuring that our outward actions are a reflection of our inner transformation through Christ, rather than mere appearances that mask spiritual emptiness or hypocrisy.

You have haunted and persecuted me relentlessly on BAM, and now you are playing the devil's advocate here.
May God have Chen upon you!

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
why do we have Bibles? Why did God have all of that written down?
Why did Jesus say "It is written"?Jesus quotes extensively from the OT. It is all over the NT.

Also this 2Tim 3:14-16 from Paul:
View attachment 46717
Listen my lovely.

I am Born Again a spirit child of God..I don’t need to keep reading a Bible to know God in my spirit, I am Born Of The Spirit..

I was chosen and predestined to become a child of God, to be used by him according to his purpose and plan...you read the history of the Bible, that scripture is not meant for me, i am led by Gods Living witness His Living Holy Spirit ..to bring whatever truth he decides to bring to my understanding in the spirit.

You don’t seem to understand scripture of spiritual matters...I understand in the spirit and completely disagree with what I believe to be “ religious talk” from you.

I am Alive in Christ and my Faith is Alive And Active..I ask again do you know God in your spirit or do you only know the God of the Bible?

Gods Living witness His Living Holy Spirit..he is the witness and he has the power to bring non - believers to become Born Again by “ HIS” Spirit........ not Born Again by “ your”spirit.

I pray that you receive heart / spirit revelation in that area, in Jesus Name...Amen!

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
why do we have Bibles? Why did God have all of that written down?
Why did Jesus say "It is written"?Jesus quotes extensively from the OT. It is all over the NT.
Do you know God in your spirit?

Or do you know God Of The Bible...by reading His written word?

Are you a spirit child of God?

I grow and mature in the SPIRIT!

I don’t grow from reading the history of the Bible..

I am led by Gods Witness His Living Holy Spirit..to understand spirit talk not religious dogma.

1 Corinthians 2

King James Version

2 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this is civic from BAM brother-a wolf in sheep's clothing, strong words, but it's the truth and I have given the link.

Should you wish to read it from Grace Ambassadors.

God bless marks
Johann.

[That sly fox is very busy, I noticed]
Something that Justin says here is very on point I think.

"A failure to rightly divide is the reason many still pursue the power of spiritual gifts disregarding the more excellent things God is doing today."

I think the mistake is to pursue the power of spiritual gifts, disregarding the heart of the matter, that being, again, that we would have our trust completely in God, and our focus on serving others out of love for them. Let God determine how that happens.

My thinking is, just put your hand to the plow and don't turn back. God will make it happen the way He intends. For me its a foolish thing to divide over whether we call our service this name or that name.

Much love!

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Something that Justin says here is very on point I think.

"A failure to rightly divide is the reason many still pursue the power of spiritual gifts disregarding the more excellent things God is doing today."

I think the mistake is to pursue the power of spiritual gifts, disregarding the heart of the matter, that being, again, that we would have are trust completely in God, and our focus on serving others out of love for them. Let God determine how that happens.

My thinking is, just put your hand to the plow and don't turn back. God will make it happen the way He intends. For me its a foolish thing to divide over whether we call our service this name or that name.

Much love!
1 Corinthians 12:4-7 (ESV):
"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good."

Explanation: This passage emphasizes that spiritual gifts are given by the Holy Spirit according to God's will for the purpose of benefiting the entire church community. It highlights that our trust should be in God who determines how these gifts are distributed and used.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (ESV):
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing."

Explanation: This passage underscores that love is paramount in the exercise of spiritual gifts. It teaches that gifts used without love are meaningless. Therefore, our pursuit should not be for the sake of power or recognition but motivated by love for others.

Philippians 2:3-4 (ESV):
"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."

Explanation: This verse encourages believers to approach the use of spiritual gifts with humility and a focus on serving others. It discourages selfish ambition and emphasizes the importance of considering others' needs and interests.
Application:
Trust in God's Sovereignty: Believers should trust in God's wisdom and sovereignty in the distribution and use of spiritual gifts. This involves surrendering personal desires and ambitions to God's will and timing.

Focus on Love: The primary motivation for using spiritual gifts should be love for others. Gifts are meant to build up the church and demonstrate God's love in practical ways.

Humility and Service: Practicing humility and serving others selflessly aligns with biblical teachings on spiritual gifts. It reflects Christ's example of sacrificial love and prioritizing the needs of others.

By aligning our pursuit of spiritual gifts with these biblical principles, we honor God, build up the church, and demonstrate His love effectively to the world.

I guess this makes a lot of sense-without love nothing matters.
J.

• Love
Reactions: marks

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go back to the hole you came out from-or keep wasting time playing golf you sly fox.

Context (Matthew 23:27-28, ESV):
Verse 27-28:
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness. So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."

Exegesis:
Whitewashed Tombs: In Jewish culture, whitewashing tombs was a practice to make them visually clean and avoid ceremonial defilement. Jesus uses this imagery to illustrate how the Pharisees and scribes outwardly appeared righteous and holy but were spiritually corrupt.

Dead People's Bones and Uncleanness: The metaphorical use of "dead people's bones" symbolizes spiritual death and impurity. Despite their external display of piety and adherence to religious rituals, internally they were filled with moral decay, hypocrisy, and moral impurity.

Hypocrisy and Lawlessness: Jesus exposes the disconnect between their outward religious observance and their inward spiritual condition. Their actions did not align with the true heart of God's law, which emphasizes love, justice, and mercy.

Application:
Internal vs. External: This passage challenges believers to examine their own hearts and motivations. It warns against superficial religiosity or outward appearances that mask inner spiritual decay.

Authenticity and Integrity: Christians are called to live with authenticity and integrity, aligning their outward actions with genuine faith and a transformed heart.

Honest Self-Reflection: It encourages believers to engage in honest self-reflection and repentance, seeking genuine spiritual renewal and transformation through Christ.

Conclusion:
The phrase "dead inside, full of dead man's bones" from Matthew 23:27 serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of genuine faith and integrity in Christian life. It calls us to examine our hearts, ensuring that our outward actions are a reflection of our inner transformation through Christ, rather than mere appearances that mask spiritual emptiness or hypocrisy.

You have haunted and persecuted me relentlessly on BAM, and now you are playing the devil's advocate here.
May God have Chen upon you!
Jesus says to love your enemies . You are just like Calvin and Luther your reformed heroes.

Those who are proud refuse correction.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus says to love your enemies . You are just like Calvin and Luther your reformed heroes.

Yup!!...that was revealed to my heart / spirit last night.

Thanks for the reminder, Brother.

I am not beyond correction as long as it’s the Holy Spirit who does the correcting....just like he corrected me through you.

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:4-7 (ESV):
"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good."

Explanation: This passage emphasizes that spiritual gifts are given by the Holy Spirit according to God's will for the purpose of benefiting the entire church community. It highlights that our trust should be in God who determines how these gifts are distributed and used.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (ESV):
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing."

Explanation: This passage underscores that love is paramount in the exercise of spiritual gifts. It teaches that gifts used without love are meaningless. Therefore, our pursuit should not be for the sake of power or recognition but motivated by love for others.

Philippians 2:3-4 (ESV):
"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."

Explanation: This verse encourages believers to approach the use of spiritual gifts with humility and a focus on serving others. It discourages selfish ambition and emphasizes the importance of considering others' needs and interests.
Application:
Trust in God's Sovereignty: Believers should trust in God's wisdom and sovereignty in the distribution and use of spiritual gifts. This involves surrendering personal desires and ambitions to God's will and timing.

Focus on Love: The primary motivation for using spiritual gifts should be love for others. Gifts are meant to build up the church and demonstrate God's love in practical ways.

Humility and Service: Practicing humility and serving others selflessly aligns with biblical teachings on spiritual gifts. It reflects Christ's example of sacrificial love and prioritizing the needs of others.

By aligning our pursuit of spiritual gifts with these biblical principles, we honor God, build up the church, and demonstrate His love effectively to the world.

I guess this makes a lot of sense-without love nothing matters.
J.
Is it loving to accuse the charismatic brothers and sisters in Christ that their gifts are from Satan ?

You quoted MacArthur whom you agree with and declared it’s from the devil .

Reactions: Ritajanice

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What does it mean, "love your enemies"? What does this say concerning how we are to both think of our enemies, and act towards them?

Much love!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you know the difference between Dokimazo and Peiradzo?
Don't think you do and the "commentary" is none other than The Profit of Spiritual Giftswhich you askew!

Do take note-I'm the one staying in control, you are over reacting.
J.
No idea what you are talking about with over-reacting and staying in control. Not to mention that this isn't any kind of competition, not to me at least.

“The gifts of the Spirit were given to “profit” them spiritually. But it must not be assumed that when God caused spiritual gifts to cease that He left the Body of Christ without a resource for our continued spiritual profit. In II Timothy 3:16, Paul tells us that “all Scripture…is profitable.” The “profit” afforded to the Corinthians by their spiritual gifts is now provided to believers by the Word of God. This is why the cessation of spiritual gifts coincided with the completion of the perfect Word of God.”

Yikes, the above is faulty all by itself. When Paul wrote that all scripture is profitable, they had all the old testament scriptures, which is what the Bereans would have been looking into at the time as well.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No idea what you are talking about with over-reacting and staying in control. Not to mention that this isn't any kind of competition, not to me at least.

“The gifts of the Spirit were given to “profit” them spiritually. But it must not be assumed that when God caused spiritual gifts to cease that He left the Body of Christ without a resource for our continued spiritual profit. In II Timothy 3:16, Paul tells us that “all Scripture…is profitable.” The “profit” afforded to the Corinthians by their spiritual gifts is now provided to believers by the Word of God. This is why the cessation of spiritual gifts coincided with the completion of the perfect Word of God.”

Yikes, the above is faulty all by itself. When Paul wrote that all scripture is profitable, they had all the old testament scriptures, which is what the Bereans would have been looking into at the time as well.

0:00
well speaking of getting things right
0:01
let's talk a little bit about cessation
0:04
and the position we've talked a bit
0:06
already about that it is a negative term
0:08
already it's an unfortunate term to put
0:10
a negative tense but some of the