Is anyone else a Seer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? - 1 Corinthians 12

I believe that folks can pick up the same gifts and callings even in this very day. Including being a so-called seer. We must be discerning, though, that the gift comes from the Holy Spirit and not by some other way...

16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour. - Acts 16

Reactions: GTW27

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I believe that folks can pick up the same gifts and callings even in this very day. Including being a so-called seer.

The 9 Spiritual Gifts that are listed by Paul, do not contain a "seer".... on the List.

However, a slight argument could be made that a Prophet, could be defined as a "seer", if we are talking about prophetic visions... etc.

The problem tho.. is that a Sorcerer is the same "gift".... but its a demonic version.

And here is the main issue...
When a person starts trying to pursue spiritual Gifts, they dont realize that The Devil will give you one, and if He does, you wont know its from Him.
See, Demonic Power counterfeits Gifts of the Spirit, just like Ministers of the Devil, (counterfeit)... behave and "sound like". real Christians.

So, if anyone here is going to chase the Gifts of the Spirit, for personal gain, or to come to a forum and have this compulsion to tell everyone .. I have this "gift". (look at me)... . .then there could be a problem.

The best thing to do, is serve God faithfully,, and if God needs you to have a Spiritual Gift, for a particular work, then He'll provide it to you reader., you won't even have to ask.., exactly as Peter didnt have to ask for Gift #9, on the day of Pentecost, as God provided it, as NEEDED, to Peter.

Reactions: rockytopva

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 9 Spiritual Gifts that are listed by Paul, do not contain a "seer".... on the List.

However, a slight argument could be made that a Prophet, could be defined as a "seer", if we are talking about prophetic visions... etc.

The problem tho.. is that a Sorcerer is the same "gift".... but its a demonic version.

When a person starts trying to pursue spiritual Gifts, they dont realize that The Devil will give you one, and if He does, you wont know its from Him.
See, Demonic Power counterfeits Gifts of the Spirit, just like Ministers of the Devil, (counterfeit)... behave and "sound like". real Christians.

So, if anyone here is going to chase the Gifts of the Spirit, for personal gain, or to come to a forum and have this compulsion to tell everyone .. I have this "gift". (look at me)... . .then there could be a problem.

The best thing to do, is serve God faithfully,, and if God needs you to have a Spiritual Gift, for a particular work, then He'll provide it to you reader., you won't even have to ask.., exactly as Peter didnt have to ask for Gift #9, on the day of Pentecost, as God provided it, as NEEDED, to Peter.
And too many personal pronouns ought to raise a flag as well.

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey - isn't it funny how we view one another - I have had a high regard for you ever since your posts on CF

Rejoice with those who rejoice...
Sadly my last role under a new EVANGELIST who was hired on as our PASTOR 3 years ago, lead to me to the place of being more of a spiritual 'past, story teller', than a 'current, story maker'. He has controlled that church into a place of spiritual implosion. Those leaving, like we did 8 months ago is still continuing. We, are waiting along with some faithful others, as to what the 'spiritual leading' will be. Most of us are in agreement that it is to something that has not been attained in the last 1700 years.....In Our Opinion.

It is all about Him - remember the hymn "you in your small corner, and I in mine ?
I don't remember that hymn. So I looked it up, and played it. For the first time.....simply true and sweet. From Him, through Him and To Him be all things.

I Just remembered, some time back, you were talking about a new 'startup company' with new and wild technology. If there's a story, might PM me, unless it's short. Don't want to derail anything. :hmhehm

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, a more sure test of a prophet is not to predict the likely, but rather the impossible or very unlikely.

Introducing a Prophet should induce a feeling of being uncomfortable...

This is the reverse of what is common today - the introduction is designed to promote feeling good.
Now we agree on what you just said 100 percent.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A gentle question...

In the light of your leaning on the writings of others, how do you respond to the scripture that states God hating the prophets who steal one another's words???
You lost me. Are you saying I cannot quote others and that it would be considered stealing to learn from others?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would comment on what you just said if I understood what you just said.
The revelation I received was to tell my doctor not to go on a mission trip to Haiti. I wasn't going to tell him. Then I received a vision of what would happen if we went. That's what I ended up sharing with the doctor.

6 months later I asked him what happened. He said he received another unsolicited message to delay his trip.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You lost me. Are you saying I cannot quote others and that it would be considered stealing to learn from others?

This raises a bigger issue - Paul prayed for the Spirit of Revelation to be strong among his flocks. Further they were expected to feast upon the inspiration he presented. This is because Scripture alone has been set apart by God as our supreme source of Truth.

They prayerfully studied his letters, and when they were given the revelation and understanding from the Holy Spirit, it produced an authoritative and truthful confidence in the reader.

The transition that was taking place was from gnosis the epi-gnosis. From common knowledge to revelation knowledge.

This process is available to us also.

This is why I took more than 5 years out to devotionally read the Scripture alone, no other input.

Sadly, second hand opinions are rife and the culture of argument in forums such as this are testament to this.

There is a thriving industry of second hand opinions that is not serving the Body of Christ well.

Teachers today should be encouraging individuals to hear Him and receive revelation from Scripture for themselves. Sure, cross check what is received with mature believers, but feasting on the inspiration of Scripture should be considered the primary and essential diet.

So I quoted Jeremiah 23:30

“Therefore behold,” declares the LORD, “I am against the prophets who steal from one another words they attribute to Me.”

There is a lot of 'word stealing' going on.

Reactions: Hillsage

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18:22

Presumptuously (Strongs)- zood; or (by permutation) זִיד zîyd; a primitive root; to seethe; figuratively, to be insolent: (boldly rude)—be proud, deal proudly, presume, (come) presumptuously, sod.

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This raises a bigger issue - Paul prayed for the Spirit of Revelation to be strong among his flocks. Further they were expected to feast upon the inspiration he presented. This is because Scripture alone has been set apart by God as our supreme source of Truth.

They prayerfully studied his letters, and when they were given the revelation and understanding from the Holy Spirit, it produced an authoritative and truthful confidence in the reader.

The transition that was taking place was from gnosis the epi-gnosis. From common knowledge to revelation knowledge.

This process is available to us also.

This is why I took more than 5 years out to devotionally read the Scripture alone, no other input.

Sadly, second hand opinions are rife and the culture of argument in forums such as this are testament to this.

There is a thriving industry of second hand opinions that is not serving the Body of Christ well.

Teachers today should be encouraging individuals to hear Him and receive revelation from Scripture for themselves. Sure, cross check what is received with mature believers, but feasting on the inspiration of Scripture should be considered the primary and essential diet.

So I quoted Jeremiah 23:30

“Therefore behold,” declares the LORD, “I am against the prophets who steal from one another words they attribute to Me.”

There is a lot of 'word stealing' going on.
Most if not just about all of the churches today teach the Catholic doctrine. A guy like me has a book out to try to help people to walk by the spirit since nobody seems to even know what that is because the churches teach it means doing the Word or trying to live their life to be more like Jesus. Most of this group on here believe in the following Catholic doctrine that in my opinion is not biblical.

Much of the Roman Catholic doctrine was assimilated into Protestantism and is still being passed along as Christian groups continue to split off from one another. In a nutshell that is why even the independent church in your neighborhood today most probably believes that there is a trinity, dead people are alive, God is in control of everything that happens, the Four Gospels are written to Christians, and water baptism is relevant. And then there's everything that you know about our sin nature was taught to you by them.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The revelation I received was to tell my doctor not to go on a mission trip to Haiti. I wasn't going to tell him. Then I received a vision of what would happen if we went. That's what I ended up sharing with the doctor.

6 months later I asked him what happened. He said he received another unsolicited message to delay his trip.
When you received your vision you received the Lord's spirit giving you information.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of: face to face.

When I looked up the word it seems to be used In a condemning way? Am I reading the wrong applications?
This is one of applications provided by my Strongs. Perhaps for a moment, the moment when the Seer sees something, he is in effect close to being face to face with God. Is that not what the "then" is here?

1co 13:12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
The Seer [or Prophet] would "then" for moment be where all of us want to be finally? Consider Solomon's word here:
Pr 29:18Where there is no vision, the people perish...
All of us need to have a vision... and if we are really serving God, I believe that we do.

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of applications provided by my Strongs. Perhaps for a moment, the moment when the Seer sees something, he is in effect close to being face to face with God. Is that not what the "then" is here?

1co 13:12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
The Seer [or Prophet] would "then" for moment be where all of us want to be finally? Consider Solomon's word here:
Pr 29:18Where there is no vision, the people perish...
All of us need to have a vision... and if we are really serving God, I believe that we do.

That is what I was thinking too. Thank you. It was all helpful. That one really stood out. It’s beautiful! ❤️ it didn’t appear a good or positive thing when I looked it up. But I did think about it like you mentioned “face to face”. It’s reminds me too of where Moses put a vail over his face so they could not look directly on it. I do think (just an opinion) what you shared goes well with the topic of seers or prophets.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what I was thinking too. Thank you. It was all helpful. That one really stood out. It’s beautiful! ❤️ it didn’t appear a good or positive thing when I looked it up. But I did think about it like you mentioned “face to face”. It’s reminds me too of where Moses put a vail over his face so they could not look directly on it. I do think (just an opinion) what you shared goes well with the topic of seers or prophets.
Aye... the prophets or seers we read about in the OT had a special vision for the moment of something of God to help or advise people seeking it. Now, the Holy Spirit in us provides us with "ear to hear" and "eyes to see" if we are not too often or even regularly quenching the Spirit. Paul admonishes:

1th 5:19Quench not the Spirit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2co 3:14But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same veil untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which veil is done away in Christ.
2co 3:15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil is upon their heart.
2co 3:16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the veil shall be taken away.
2co 3:17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never thought about this!!!!
he best thing to do, is serve God faithfully,, and if God needs you to have a Spiritual Gift, for a particular work, then He'll provide it to you reader., you won't even have to ask.., exactly as Peter didnt have to ask for Gift #9, on the day of Pentecost, as God provided it, as NEEDED, to Peter.
This is excellent!!! He provides, you receive without asking!!!!!!! thanks!