What will happen to Christians who reject the Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What will happen to Christians who reject the Sabbath?

The Sabbath was given to the Hebrews, ISRAEL, Tribes of Israel…to Remember, to Celebrate.

When were Christians…given the Sabbath,
To Remember, to Celebrate?

Pss 118:[24] This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath was given to the Hebrews, ISRAEL, Tribes of Israel…to Remember, to Celebrate.

When were Christians…given the Sabbath,
To Remember, to Celebrate?

Matthew 21:43 — “Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.

Galatians 3:29 — And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

• Love
Reactions: Taken

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Matthew 21:43 — “Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.
Which other nation was this?
Galatians 3:29 — And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
My friend

I think you can’t use this verse to support the observance of Sabbath among Christians. Please look:
If Christians must keep the Sabbath because they are now Abraham’s seed, then, under the dame reasoning, Christians must also be circumcised, because God established circumsicion as an everlasting covenant with Abraham

He who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money must be circumcised, and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.” (Genesis 17:13)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which other nation was this?

Are we to assume, then, that Matthew 21:43 was included in Scripture by mistake or, worse yet, that Christ was a false prophet?

My friend

I think you can’t use this verse to support the observance of Sabbath among Christians. Please look:
If Christians must keep the Sabbath because they are now Abraham’s seed, then, under the dame reasoning, Christians must also be circumcised, because God established circumsicion as an everlasting covenant with Abraham

He who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money must be circumcised, and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.” (Genesis 17:13)

1 Corinthians 7:19 — Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

Paul is here trying to help us out of this mess into which we've ensnared ourselves but we like it too much.

40 years ago, no one in Christendom likened Sabbath-keeping to circumcision. And there are still Blue Laws on the books everywhere to prove it. "Christian" Anti-Sabbatarianism, as a general principle, is new.

And it's just smoke-filled, coffeehouse, Almighty Internet theology. No one minded the concept of a day (or two) off every week before the 24/7, drive-thru culture took over.

Even the pope seems to know it won't work. The deception is doing its masterful work. Every year, chronic degenerative diseases play leapfrog with one another to reach the top spot on cause-of-death lists.

We're killing ourselves in the name of religious entitlement. Instead of championing the liberty to be loosed from the bands of Satan's wickedness to do as God bids us, we choose to exploit His contingent mercy in order to do as we please.

Last edited:

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Are we to assume, then, that Matthew 21:43 was included in Scripture by mistake or, worse yet, that Christ was a false prophet?
Hi BarneyFife.

Of course not. Why do you ask that? :D
I am interested in knowing your view of which other nation is this, that would take the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 7:19 — Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
That's my point.
The circumcision status is not a valid criterion to judge a person as keeper or not keeper of the commandments of God.
Same thing with sabbaths.
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day" (Col 2:16)

This is applicable both ways: nobody should judge if a person as compliant or not to the commandments of God if he chooses to get circumcised and/or keep the Sabbath, and/or abstain from pork, etc.

We're killing ourselves in the name of religious entitlement. Instead of championing the liberty to be loosed from the bands of Satan's wickedness to do as God bids us, we choose to exploit His contingent mercy in order to do as we please.
I agree, BarneyFife.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course not. Why do you ask that?

It's rhetorical—intended to provoke thought in the minds of any who might be reading.

I am interested in knowing your view of which other nation is this, that would take the kingdom of God.

Sorry, but I'd rather not derail the thread by entertaining questionable curiosity.

This is applicable both ways: nobody should judge if a person as compliant or not to the commandments of God if he chooses to get circumcised and/or keep the Sabbath, and/or abstain from pork, etc.

Paul seems to be making a clear distinction in 1 Corinthians 7:19.

And I'm not interested in "judging" anyone, although I'm well past being affected by the endless accusations.

My duty in this case, as I see it, is to make people aware of the dangers of disregarding any of God's commandments, and no amount of sophistry or equivocation is likely to distract me very much. :)

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Sorry, but I'd rather not derail the thread by entertaining questionable curiosity.
Well, you were the one to quote Matthew 21:43, and you did it as part of your reply to the question made by @Taken: "When were Christians…given the Sabbath, To Remember, to Celebrate?"

Since you think that the words of Jesus in that verse may help to clarify whether Christians were given the Sabbath to remember or celebrate, I suppose that your opinion on that verse is pertinent to this thread.

Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken away from you, and shall be given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you think that the words of Jesus in that verse may help to clarify whether Christians were given the Sabbath to remember or celebrate, I suppose that your opinion on that verse is pertinent to this thread.

I think your opinion as to what it means would be more pertinent to why you're pressing the question.

Sorry, but my Poker face is pretty lousy, and if you're playing the ex-Adventist card, the gloves are off, my friend.

Reactions: Pancho Frijoles

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was asked the question on another forum, "What will happen to all those Christians who don't worship on the Sabbath?" I gave the following answer... there are some verses that give a clear answer. Here is what best applies....
Acts 17:24-30
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

When we unknowingly make a honest mistake, Gods grace is sufficient and He winks at our ignorance. But when we in all fullness of understanding knowingly do it.......
Sabbath keeping isn't about worship; it's about resting.

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
And I'm not interested in "judging" anyone, although I'm well past being affected by the endless accusations.

My duty in this case, as I see it, is to make people aware of the dangers of disregarding any of God's commandments, and no amount of sophistry or equivocation is likely to distract me very much. :)

This is a very common way in which we, religious people, feel free to make judgements while evading the accountability for making them.
I have run into this mistake.
Please don't take me bad on this: I do believe in your sincerity of "not being interested in judging anyone"... I just want to call your attention, and the attention of our readers, to this frequent practice because it can go subconscious. Look:

• With one arm we wield the sword and stick it into persons ("Those who knowingly choose not to keep the Sabbath are not obedient to God ", or, in the case of those who accuse you, "Those who knowingly choose to keep the Sabbath are fallen from grace").
  • With the other arm, we try to hide under the shield of "Only God can judge them. I'm not here to judge anyone: I'm just saying what the Bible says. It is my duty to do it".

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
I think your opinion as to what it means would be more pertinent to why you're pressing the question.

Sorry, but my Poker face is pretty lousy, and if you're playing the ex-Adventist card, the gloves are off, my friend.
Are your gloves off now?
Good.

I thought your gloves were on when you equaled answering my simple question to "entertaining a questionable curiosity".
I thought your gloves were on when you asked if I thought the Scripture was mistaken, or Jesus was a false prophet.

Now that your gloves are off, let me tell you that I am not sure which nation Jesus was referring to. This is the first time I reflect on this verse. I don't think it was Christianity, as people in those times considered "nations" big ethnic groups, generally with their own language, culture, religion and social organization.
Christians were going to belong to many nations, not to any nation in particular. There are several references in the Bible about "nations".

This is the first time I reflect on this verse, and I am biased because of my religious context. So the first thing that came to my mind was the Arabs. The Arabs could be considered a nation, for the people who were listening to Jesus, or reading Matthew.

However, it was your opinion what interested me, because I thought you were deducing that, since Christians had inherited the Kingdom from the Jews, they had inherited along the commitment to keep the Ten Commandments and/or other applicable Jewish laws.

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Sabbath keeping isn't about worship; it's about resting.
I respectfully disagree.

You could go on vacations to Puerto Vallarta and rest a lot. That wouldn't be necessarily worship.
Israelits were called to rest with one specific rationale: for in six days Jehovah made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore Jehovah blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I respectfully disagree.

You could go on vacations to Puerto Vallarta and rest a lot. That wouldn't be necessarily worship.
Israelits were called to rest with one specific rationale: for in six days Jehovah made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore Jehovah blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

I rather look at the Sabbath being given ISRAEL, being a day of REST and Remembrance, Reflection on the Lord God.

Moving forward in Time, opening the door unto the Gentiles…(so to speak)….
So also came broader information…for a man (Israel or Gentiles) committing in acceptance of the Lords Offering…24-7 “spiritual REST being WITH -IN Christ, and He “IN” the man”….THAT…ANY DAY, Every Day, ANY Place…
IS suitable, To Remember, Reflect, Pray, Learn, Study, About the Lord God… Continually.

God Bless you,

Glory to God,
Taken

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
I rather look at the Sabbath being given ISRAEL, being a day of REST and Remembrance, Reflection on the Lord God.

Moving forward in Time, opening the door unto the Gentiles…(so to speak)….
So also came broader information…for a man (Israel or Gentiles) committing in acceptance of the Lords Offering…24-7 “spiritual REST being WITH -IN Christ, and He “IN” the man”….THAT…ANY DAY, Every Day, ANY Place…
IS suitable, To Remember, Reflect, Pray, Learn, Study, About the Lord God… Continually.

God Bless you,

Glory to God,
Taken
Thank you very much for your insight.
I agree with what you say... and entering that rest in Christ is wonderful.
God bless you too, Taken.

• Love

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you very much for your insight.
I agree with what you say... and entering that rest in Christ is wonderful.
God bless you too, Taken.

Thank you…
Amen…Wonderful Indeed… Otherwise a person could go utterly bonkers, having to share this planet with utterly, greedy, power grabbing, oppressive, liberty raping, fear mongering, threatening, endless tribulation instigating of anti-godly men…

Glory to God,
Taken

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I respectfully disagree.

Where do we disagree?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In that Sabbath keeping is not about worship.
I believe it was a form of worship.
And for those who keep it nowadays, can be a form of worship.
Does the Bible describe that day? What did people do on that day?

Exodus 20:10
but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.

The verse above doesn't rule out worship, but it strongly emphasizes the idea of rest. What aspect of the Seventh day of Creation is to be remembered? God rested.

Yes? Come back at me if you like. Maybe I missed something.

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Does the Bible describe that day? What did people do on that day?

Exodus 20:10
but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.

The verse above doesn't rule out worship, but it strongly emphasizes the idea of rest. What aspect of the Seventh day of Creation is to be remembered? God rested.

Yes? Come back at me if you like. Maybe I missed something.

Yes, my brother, I agree it emphasizes the idea of rest.
But not any rest. A holy rest.
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." (Exodus 20:8)

When you treat as sacred something that God has established as holy, you are worshiping God, not the object made holy.
For example, if an Israelite mentioned the Name of God with reverence, he was worshiping God, because He has made his Name holy.
If he participated in the ritual sacrifices, he was worshiping God, as those rituals were sacred.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, my brother, I agree it emphasizes the idea of rest.
But not any rest. A holy rest.
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." (Exodus 20:8)

When you treat as sacred something that God has established as holy, you are worshiping God, not the object made holy.
For example, if an Israelite mentioned the Name of God with reverence, he was worshiping God, because He has made his Name holy.
If he participated in the ritual sacrifices, he was worshiping God, as those rituals were sacred.
Okay, I agree if you define "worship" as treating holy things as sacred.

Any thoughts on what it means to "remember" the Sabbath day? What is it specifically that I am to remember? I have some ideas but I would love to hear yours.