It Was Hard For Me To Understand Christian Modesty for Women

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Working for 8 hours outside in the single digit(Fahrenheit)cold...no escape into someplace warm....you really need to spend the money on good clothes.
This is an area I don't mind spending money on quality clothing with a good purpose. I don't enjoy spending money, but when I do, it needs to serve a good purpose and not be frivolous. Some good Carhartt clothing or similar brands that will last years on a farm or homestead is a wise choice.

To me, spending money on clothes just for looks and status is frivolous and unwise. I like to look nice and modest, yet feminine ....but that can be done within a budget.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an area I don't mind spending money on quality clothing with a good purpose. I don't enjoy spending money, but when I do, it needs to serve a good purpose and not be frivolous. Some good Carhartt clothing or similar brands that will last years on a farm or homestead is a wise choice.

To me, spending money on clothes just for looks and status is frivolous and unwise. I like to look nice and modest, yet feminine ....but that can be done within a budget.
Nothing like those YouTube preaching couples that wear extremely expensive clothing to look outdoorsy or relaxed....
A $400 T-shirt? It's just a freaking T-shirt....but they make some that sell for that much.

My favorite was this lady on YouTube showcasing her "Homesteading" lifestyle where they have a huge garden and raise horses....but she shows how she cooks and preserves food in her kitchen. Her "modest" stove that looks old timey has a retail cost of $38,000.

And I thought that I was buying luxury when I spent $2,000 for a gas convection stove. (I cook constantly for ourselves and others daily...recovering chef who has problems with the first step)

A used bread oven for commercial bakeries I spent $60,000 on but it held 16 18"×26" sheetpans....sealed chambers with steam generators and injectors and 3 zone heating for each stone hearth deck.

Her oven wouldn't hold one sheet pan.

LadyVirgy

May 11, 2024
Soroca
Faith
Christian
Country
Moldova, Republic Of
I'm curious: is it common where you're from for Christian women to cover their hair as part of modesty? Here in Moldova it's expected of highly practicing Christian women to do so. We cover our head with something called "batic / broboadă".

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm curious: is it common where you're from for Christian women to cover their hair as part of modesty? Here in Moldova it's expected of highly practicing Christian women to do so. We cover our head with something called "batic / broboadă".
In the United States, its no longer common, except for the bride during weddings. I still wear head coverings for prayer and worship settings. I only started doing this a few years ago.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where that's a fairly common thing in Moldovan culture....it's extremely uncommon in the USA. (Except for Muslims)
In fact hair styling, color, and cut are usually very much a significant part of a daily routine for women here....especially the single women.

The braids and braiding aren't as popular here as there. Almost a lost art here. Guys love it when women have those intricate braids for their long hair and other women are usually envious....but women aren't doing it as it usually requires someone else to do it for them.

LadyVirgy

May 11, 2024
Soroca
Faith
Christian
Country
Moldova, Republic Of
Where that's a fairly common thing in Moldovan culture....it's extremely uncommon in the USA. (Except for Muslims)
In fact hair styling, color, and cut are usually very much a significant part of a daily routine for women here....especially the single women.

The braids and braiding aren't as popular here as there. Almost a lost art here. Guys love it when women have those intricate braids for their long hair and other women are usually envious....but women aren't doing it as it usually requires someone else to do it for them.
Braids are indeed very popular here. Long hair is the norm, especially for young women. I personally wear a headscarf most of the day and all the time in public. I feel naked without one.

Reactions: Wynona

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Braids are indeed very popular here. Long hair is the norm, especially for young women. I personally wear a headscarf most of the day and all the time in public. I feel naked without one.
I visited next door in Slovakia....
That's how I know what I know.

Church membership and Baptism have no real requirements in the USA like they do there....the effects of the iron curtain still are around there.

It was a real pleasure to visit Slovakia for me. And I kept looking for Streudel but had a difficult time finding any. Poppyseed and apple strudel was supposed to be a thing there and our guides were saying that it should be everywhere....but when we went to the square it was nowhere to be found. Nobody had any for sale. Finally we had fancy dinner at a castle and I got some there.
I really fell in love with the brown bread and sausages....they were over the top better than anything we have in America.

Reactions: Wynona