Is Santa Claus a fraud?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Santa Claus a fraud?

• Total voters

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When my son was a little boy of eight he asked if Jesus is real to which his dad told him yes. Then he asked if Father Christmas was real and his dad had to say no. He still says it spoiled Christmas for him forever. I think the mystery of Father Christmas isn't fraud anymore than fairies are fraudulent. or mermaids or unicorns. Father Christmas/Santa Claus is a legend. Some might call it fraud but I like to believe that he is figure who embraces the spirit of Christmas.
@Pearl In Copenhagen harbour there is a statue of the Little Mermaid.

I wonder how many youngsters think that mermaids are real.........

Reactions: Pearl

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you taking about? You not even making any sense
You gave the definition of "fraud" claiming that it was "intent to deceive" and "unjustifiability." But parents do not ring their hands contemplating evil to tell their children tales of Santa Claus. They do it out of love, like a nursery rhyme, and then give them gifts. It is a parable story of a loving Father Christmas who comes for above to shower good little boys and girls with gifts. And they do not hide the truth from them when they are ready to hear it.

That is not the definition of fraud.
What does God do with parables? Lie? You are sorely mistaken my friend... Satan is the father of lies, not God...
You failed to give even one example of a Santa Claus type parable in the bible

I explained how Santa is a fraud by definition and how you are actually saying his real and fell for a trick question.
You failed to address that... You have been refuted
By the same measure that you have applied to parents and Santa Claus: lying and evil, you have done the same to God who has done similar to his children, even Jesus. That would make the stories of the prodigal son, treasure in a field, etc., all lies, all deceiving and evil tales, when He could have just told the truth.

But you are correct to say that Satan is the father of lies, not God. It's just that it makes you wrong with your whole line of accusations.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
here's a quarter call someone wo cares grown adults fussing over something that brings joy to the Children

Something must be really wrong with you! The question is not, ‘does Santa bring joy to children?’ The question is, ‘is Santa a fraud?’

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This makes absolutely no sense. Jesus said He would build His church on the foundation of Himself. Catholicism isn't built on Jesus Christ. It is a Jesuit creation to get people worshipping a false trinity ...Nimrod, Semiramis (the "queen of heaven"), and Tammuz. You're deceived if you think God endorses that mess.
I didn't say all that--you did, exaggerating your accusations.

All I said, even giving examples, is that His strength is made perfect in weakness. The point is: None are perfect, except One, Jesus Christ.

Meanwhile, you point out the speck (however big) in the Catholics eye, because I have pointed to the good. You show your own hypocrisy.

As for the church, it is built upon the same means by which Peter came to the knowledge of who Jesus was, that is: Not by flesh and blood...but by our Father who is in heaven.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You gave the definition of "fraud" claiming that it was "intent to deceive" and "unjustifiability." But parents do not ring their hands contemplating evil to tell their children tales of Santa Claus. They do it out of love, like a nursery rhyme, and then give them gifts. It is a parable story of a loving Father Christmas who comes for above to shower good little boys and girls with gifts. And they do not hide the truth from them when they are ready to hear it.

That is not the definition of fraud.
By the same measure that you have applied to parents and Santa Claus: lying and evil, you have done the same to God who has done similar to his children, even Jesus. That would make the stories of the prodigal son, treasure in a field, etc., all lies, all deceiving and evil tales, when He could have just told the truth.

But you are correct to say that Satan is the father of lies, not God. It's just that it makes you wrong with your whole line of accusations.

Your funny... LoL
True is an antonym of fraud...
Your claiming Santa is true...:eek:

Mama Etna

Oct 28, 2019
The Twin Cites - Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your input...
I rejected God as a teenager and roamed around in darkness for over 20 years like the prodigal son before returning...
I don't know for sure if Santa had anything to do with it but he probably did...
I know he had a hand in sending many people away from God because of what i saw in the atheist forum i was in for many years...
Even now, that forum has a live thread titled "God, santa and the tooth fairy"
The child is the one that is defrauded spiritually when he is taught something that is make believe is real. He then is set up for skepticism in his adult years.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Apparently you have not considered that a principle of truth told in parable, is not a lie, but truth.

Again, "fraud" is not the correct word. It does not apply here.

Too bad. Its the way the question is worded that caught you out...
I basically asked if you think Santa is real and you fell for it... LoL.

I can understand the argument to bring joy to the child but that's not the question here

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The child is the one that is defrauded spiritually when he is taught something that is make believe is real. He then is set up for skepticism in his adult years.

And @ScottA . But seriously

That lie of Santa can stay with a kid and drive them away from God... When I was a teen I left God and wondered around aimlessly in the darkness deep behind enemy lines for 20 years as a prodigal before returning... The Santa lie would not have helped... And there are heaps more like that which I met on the atheist forum when I was on there... Even now they have a thread going titled "God, Santa and the tooth fairy" as they make fun of us

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That didn't happen to me.
Honestly, I was just smarter than that....and I'm not very smart!
By my senior year in High School I was pretty sure that Santa was a fable......pretty sure.

And when it came to the gospel, God told me that was true. There was no blind faith guessing with that. The testimony of the Holy Spirit convinces everyone that the gospel is true. That's why he can condemn those who reject it. They are knowingly rejecting it. While believers are knowingly accepting it. There is no correlation between believing there's a Santa, and believing the gospel. Santa does not testify on his own behalf. God does.

If a person is rejecting the gospel because they found out the Santa story mom and dad told them was a lie, and so they can't know if the gospel they were told is true either, then they have either not heard the testimony of the Holy Spirit, of they have rejected it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That lie of Santa can stay with a kid and drive them away from God...
I just think kids are smarter than that.
There are other factors that would cause the Santa 'lie' to make a young person go to the dark side.

I grew up with the Santa 'lie', but I can see now the love of God I received through my parents was the far more influential factor in my youth.
Meanwhile, my wife resented the Santa 'lie' and did not want to have our kids grow up with the Santa fantasy, and it should be no surprise that she came from a godless, loveless upbringing of alcoholism, divorce, step families, and hatred and strife. IMO, the correlation is unmistakable. Of course, I'm speaking generally here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently you have not considered that a principle of truth told in parable, is not a lie, but truth.
I have to agree with this completely.
The example of love expressed to a kid through the fantasy of Christmas and it's traditions can be valuable.
I think, often, all through the year, of my mom and dad's and grandmother's love expressed to me through the traditions of Christmas in years past (meals, presents, decorations, music, family gatherings...). And I thank God for them to this day, even though they have all passed away. I often pray that He would tell them I'm thinking about them and thanking Him for the good memories and joy they brought to us in my youth at the holidays and how much I appreciate it and what it means to me today. I used to thank them, but now I thank God for them.

Reactions: Rita and ScottA

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would make the stories of the prodigal son, treasure in a field, etc., all lies, all deceiving and evil tales, when He could have just told the truth.
Although I think it's an actual account, the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus would be a good example.
Even if it's not historically true, or not totally accurate, being more analogous, the 'lie' still has value and in no way would cause a person to say, "well, since you lied about that..."

Reactions: ScottA

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The example of love expressed to a kid through the fantasy of Christmas and it's traditions can be valuable.
Fair enough. But the primary issue is whether Santa Claus is a fraud. And by any objective measure he is a great fraud. Nothing about Santa Claus matches reality. Even the real Saint Nicholas would call him a fraud since everything about him is imaginary.

"Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra* while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships."
Who is St. Nicholas? - St. Nicholas Center

*Myra was in Turkey.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the primary issue is whether Santa Claus in a fraud. And by any objective measure he is a great fraud.
If a person thinks it's not a historical, factual account, is Lazarus and the Rich Man a fraud, then? Or does it have value above and beyond the literal truth of the story?