Church Bashing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you . . . I think!

I'm speaking of humanity in general.

I don't care to try to determine Christian doctrine based on how I feel about things, or my own opinions of things. I try as much as I can to learn what the Bible says, and then accept that as reality.

Much love!
This seems a little like feelings and opinions. Just sayin'. :)

Reactions: marks

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Call me crazy, say I'm just repeated what I've been told if that gives you some relief. I just believe what I read in the Bible.

Much love!
Believing what you read in the Bible... Now, is that any way to get to the truth about God?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So again it comes out we have different ideas about God.

Is this one of those verses which you think God put there to trap the hypocrits?

I believe God is telling us to do what He intends for us to do, and what He's made possible for us to do. Not dishonest.

Much love!

And I believe it is impossible for men to do. But with God all things are possible.
Walk in the Spirit so you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh is a command that I can’t do. That was your question. I tried for over a decade to not murder continually but the harder I tried the more I saw my righteousness did not exceed the righteousness of anyone else I knew. Where was the power to DO what He commanded??

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if you were to find that the Bible actually does teach that people last forever, and sinners will be in eternal torment, then you would be OK with it?

Much love!

Yes. If the Bible taught that all men are born immortal I could accept it.

Reactions: BarneyFife

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where was the power to DO what He commanded??
This deserves it's own thread.

Our lives are not, I don't think, supposed to be about "forcing ourselves to not do what we shouldn't", because that will never work.

Instead, we are to be forcing ourselves to do the things we should, and in so doing, we will leave undone what we shouldn't do.

The one who can control their tongue can control their whole body.

Consider the tongue. It moves constantly, like it has a mind of it's own. Medical science says that's not far from the truth.

I know that when I have a sore tooth, or a chip, or anything different, my tongue is all over it. I get bruised gums, and pushing my tongue against them makes it worse. But the tongue just goes there no matter what. Is that just me? OR are others like that?

Anyway, I've come to realize that just trying to hold my tongue in place doesn't work. I quickly forget what I'm doing, and it starts to make it's rounds again. But I've learned what does work, and that's when I'm actively doing something different with my tongue. Instead of poking there, I'll push it against another place.

Actively using it for something else appears to me to be the only way to control my tongue and prevent it from doing what I don't want.

If you walk in the Spirit, you will not do the works of the flesh. The one who can control their tongue can control their whole body.

And do you see how literally I take these things? And how literally true they are?

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's very insightful!!

Much love!

Thanks! :)

I replied, ‘You don’t have to know WHY in order to respect WHAT.’

And I think this goes back to my opposition to Church Bashing.

I don't have to know WHY the 30,000 denominations have different doctrines to respect the WHAT, they are Christ followers who are doing their level best to advance the kingdom of God with the light that God gave them to see the light. That I may not agree with every jot & iota of doctrine pales in comparison.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh his book is expensive for my wallet right now. :(But I found him speaking on YouTube! I’m off to listen. Thank you so much BF!! I’m very excited! :)

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I believe it is impossible for men to do. But with God all things are possible.
Walk in the Spirit so you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh is a command that I can’t do. That was your question. I tried for over a decade to not murder continually but the harder I tried the more I saw my righteousness did not exceed the righteousness of anyone else I knew. Where was the power to DO what He commanded??
You are absolutely right and your experience is both common and understandable. Most people don't have the courage to admit that their spiritual growth is not proceeding in a manner that is satisfactory to them. The truth is we should all feel that way to some degree. Otherwise, no hungering and thirsting for righteousness are likely to occur.

The best, organized lesson book on righteousness by faith I have ever encountered is here:

Lesson 02 – Lessons on Faith

(The actual instruction begins in Lesson #2.)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it really a zero-sum equation or could there be varying degrees of this understanding? And if so, couldn't it be that some understand it better than others? I mean, if you think there's nothing for us to talk about, why not just say so? :)
So for me, I prefer to discuss what the Bible says. Having determined what it does and does not say, I don't go on to make some kind of moral judgment over what I believe it says.

When someone suggests to me that even though this certain thing is said, we "know" that's "bad", therefore it can't be true, one of my responses is to acknowledge that the gap in understanding between man and God is infinite, and we shouldn't expect to see everything the way He does.

When someone victimized someone else, they are taking the place of God in that person's life, and the damage can go way beyond the simplicity of the act itself.

Let's take for example the man who molested me. He did it for the purpose of turning me into a child molester. He told me all about it over the course of the two weeks or so it was going on. It was done to him, and that's what he became. So now he was going to do that to me.

My understanding is that if he was successful at making me into a child molester, it would validate his choice, proving that the act had the power to change a person, and the person is helpless against it. It's not true, and I'm not a child molester. No thanks to him! Not that he would have had the chance to see the validation! But this was what he told himself. He had damage and this alleviated his pain for a short time. But his momentary "fix" ruins entire lives.

And that's the point. If he had his way, he would have not only ruined my life in the world, but he would have destroyed me from being able to have eternal life with God.

And even so . . . what has been the impact on my life? My fruitfulness? My eternal rewards? Just how much did he steal from me? I can tell you, the loss is incalculable.

He would have destroyed me forever! And rest assured I'm not his only victim! How many did he do that do?

What is God's righteous judgment? I understand his pain and suffering, and I understand the drives that produce such evil behavior. Physical damage to the brain happens, producing terrible results in the mind, I get that. Maybe like a lot of people don't.

There's another side to the coin . . . that even this works for my good. I suspect that had I not been destroyed in such a fashion, maybe I'd have been so self sufficient as to never come to God. This was likely for my salvation.

I hope somehow God reached him. I expect by this time he's likely dead. What about the ones who did that to him? What is the righteous judgment of God?

Sorry to just blat this out for you . . . but I wanted to illustrate better the considerations I have in mind.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people don't have the courage to admit that their spiritual growth is not proceeding in a manner that is satisfactory to them.
I'll be satisfied when I awake in His likeness.

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is another way to say it says so in one place, but other places contradict it?

Much love!

Or another way of saying, yes but God has ALSO said, and working out from there. Even if you don’t understand every verse at first, you can go with the preponderance of evidence first.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes. It was essentially. Because to be tormented forever you have to live forever.
That's a given. But it is living in torment -- eternal separation from God. That is exactly what the Bible says. "Oh, we believe the Bible is the Word of God, but we do not believe this. We pick and choose what to believe and what not to believe".