What is the purpose of infant baptism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Overall, the Roman Catholic Church instruct its members not to pray to Jesus, but his mother and his father, and not to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins. You guys better take a hard look at what’s going on here.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you go to confession, the priest forgives your sins, then you are instructed to pray to the father of Jesus, and then the mother of Jesus. Jesus is left out in the cold. This is the mantra of the Roman Catholic Church. We are being scammed.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you go to confession, the priest forgives your sins, then you are instructed to pray to the father of Jesus, and then the mother of Jesus. Jesus is left out in the cold. This is the mantra of the Roman Catholic Church. We are being scammed.
Rather than spread lies, why not find out what the Catholic Church really teaches? You clearly don't know.

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neigbor." (Sound familiar?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jude Thaddeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The proof is in the pudding. We recite Mary’s prayers over and over again on the rosary bead but not a single prayer to Jesus. We pray for Mary to forgive us. Not a peep towards Jesus. They all do that. I did it.
Do they pray for Jesus to obey Mary?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No, it is not. Water and spirit are never separated in Scripture regarding baptism.

"God is A Spirit", and "Christ is THAT Spirit", is what the NT teaches.

Neither of those are related to water baptism, or water cults, or the city water supply.

Then Martin Luther must have been a cult leader, according to you. He taught baptismal regeneration,

Martin Luther was one of the prime authors of the Protestant Revolution, that left the : Cult of the Virgin, Dark ages, Denomination.

What He didn't leave behind was some Catholicism.. .but He was a Champion, regarding understanding "Justification by Faith ALONE".

= This is Salvation... This is God accepting a person, based wholly on the Merits of Christ's Sacrifice and also REGARDING that fact that Christ fulfilled ALL the Law.

Let me show the Reader.... how to defend "Grace through Faith". against the false cult teaching regarding : "water is required".

See, water cults teach that God can't accept someone's Faith in Christ, unless there is some water around.
And of course that is simply hyper religious nonsense, deception.

A.) God is not bound by the city water supply, regarding giving someone His Salvation "In Christ".

Let me show you..

Lets say you are in a Mexican Prison........ and you are going to be executed tomorrow. .....They are going to put you in front of a firing squad. ..... And, fortunately.... they send in a Preacher, the night before.

He says...

"Son, do you want to accept Jesus as your Savior" ?? Do you understand that """"all who call on the Name of Jesus, by faith, shall be saved"?
Do you understand that Jesus told you that "All who believe in Me, i give you eternal life, and you shall never go to Hell (perish)"

"Son,......... would you like for us to both kneel and pray, ? Would you like to give your Heart to Jesus? Are you ready to give God your Faith in Christ and receive God's Salvation""?
"Son do you BELIEVE?""""

"Yes i do......>YES I DO !!!!..... I BELEIVE IN YOU JESUS, I know im a sinner and i need you as my Savior">.. "Im sorry for my sin, and i trust in you Jesus to be my SAVIOR"....

""""Son, Lets Kneel and pray."""

Now, reader, do you see any water baptism in that Jail cell ?....? And you are going to tell God Almighty that this sinner who is trusting in Christ cant be saved because = a WATER CULT told you that water has to be a part of Salvation?

Think again...

Or this one..

Lets say you are 66 yrs old, and you are in the Cancer Ward of your local hospital ......and you are dying of Bone Cancer
And you know that you only have a few minutes left to live. You are coughing up blood..... You are in your DEATH RATTLE, and you decide to reach out to God with heart faith in Christ. You decide to reach out to JESUS for Salvation, on your DEATH BED, and you do......you Trust in Christ.. you BELIEVE..

SEE that? That happens all the time, all over the world, last night and today.... and there is no water baptism available..in the ER or the Hospital Room where you are about to DIE.
So, @Jude Thaddeus ... are you going to Tell God Almighty...>"LISTEN GOD, my water cult says you can't save that person, because there is no BAPTISMAL nearby.. No Sprinkler System available..... Do you hear me God ????.. Listen to my WATER CULT, as they know better then you, """""

Uh huh.
Right.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All these years, and you are still engaging with him? Wow. Obviously you aren't going to convince him that he's wrong. So what's the point? If it's to use him as a foil to make your points to others on this forum, I'd say your tone is a hindrance rather than an aid to that.
My mission here has never been about “convincing” anybody of anything.
It is about exposing anti-Catholic LIES.

I don’t have a problem with people who disagree with Catholic teaching.
However – I have NO tolerance for LIARS and I will expose them every chance I get.

If this upsets you – then don’t LIE – and don’t read my posts

Reactions: Augustin56

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I have previously said...

The forums melt down when asked what the name of the son is per Matt 28:19.

This answer was a typical example of a meltdown.

Factinatingly terrifying.
Nobody “melted down”.
It’s just a stupid and irrelevant question based on YOUR ignorance of an idiom. We all know the name of the Son.

When Jesus - who is GOD commands us to do something, we DO it.
He commanded the Church to Baptize in the name of the FATHER and of the SON and of the HOLY SPIRIT (Matt. 28:19.

Why do YOU disobey Him?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the name of the son per Matthew 28:19, That is if the sons name is not known per that verse?
The Son's name is Jesus - but that is totally irrelevant to the topic.
The REAL question is, "What does 'In the name of' mean?

I've already schooled you about this on numerous occasions - but here's a refresher . . .

Definition of “In the name of” . . .

According to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange/:
Putting all religious contentions aside for the sake of our language, the etymology of name offers a good place to start understanding: Old English nama, noma "name, REPUTATION," from Proto-Germanic *namon

We've all experienced the power of namedropping in our lives. People respect us and our opinions if they believe we are connected to someone with GREATER REPUTATION AND AUTHORITY.

In all cultures, people of authority have always lent their REPUTATION and their AUTHORITY to their delegates. The founders and leaders of religious movements use the same delegation strategies as the founders and leaders of nations. The English phrase in the name of simply asserts the REPUTATION and AUTHORITY of another person.

English Reports Annotated - Pages 1505-2672, 1505, page 2048:

...an action on a board given to trustees of an industrial society before the act may, after registration under the act, be brought in the name of the newly -incorporated body.

Macmillan Dictionary
1. representing someone or something
2. using the authority given by someone or something

Collins Dictionary
1. in appeal or reference to
2. by the authority of; as the representative of

Idioms.TheReferenceDictionary.com

1. Based on the authority of someone or something. We proclaim these things in the name of God. In the name of King John, I command you to halt.
2. With someone or something as a basis, reason, or motivation.

Thesaurus.com
- through - at the hand of
- supported by - through the agency of
- via - with
- through the medium of
- under the aegis of

- with the assistance of

Jude Thaddeus

Apr 27, 2024
ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"God is A Spirit", and "Christ is THAT Spirit", is what the NT teaches.
The NT does not teach your Gnostic dualism. Jesus is fully God and fully man, not spirit alone. That heresy was refuted beginning with the first 3 councils of the Church that is accepted by all, that you reject. That's the cult of "Behold" opposing both Catholics, Orthodox, and most Protestants. Your inventions are just re-packaged heresies refuted long ago.
Neither of those are related to water baptism, or water cults, or the city water supply.
So you insist on insulting 99% of all of Christianity by repeating the same lies over and over again.
Martin Luther was one of the prime authors of the Protestant Revolution,
Yes, and you cover up what he taught about baptismal regeneration. You cover up his devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. You replace Luther's teachings with man made traditions that are less than 200 years old. He also used real, wet physical water when he baptized infants. You cover that up too.
that left the : Cult of the Virgin, Dark ages, Denomination
Your sick, sadistic abuse of a phrase " Cult of the Virgin" has been exposed twice before. The term was first used in 1974, in an apostolic exhortation written to bishops and scholars. It is not the language of every day Catholics. You mock phantoms of your own creation and are scared to death of citing any official church teaching (in context) because you are afraid of the truth.
What He didn't leave behind was some Catholicism.. .but He was a Champion, regarding understanding "Justification by Faith ALONE".
'll just give you a brief sketch of what Catholic teaching actually is on this. The first thing is the Catholic church does not condemn the formula faith alone. In fact, that formula is occasionally used by doctors of the church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. And so, when the Council of Trent met in response to the Protestant Reformation, they did not condemn the formula of faith alone. What they condemned was one understanding of the formula. So, what they said was, if anyone says that man is justified by faith alone so that he understands it this way, then they rejected it. But they didn't reject the formula itself because it had a history in Catholic thought. So, what did they reject? Well, it has to do with the nature of faith. Faith is used, the term faith is used in several different senses, both in theology and in the Bible...

...Well, it's basically that we're saved by intellectual assent alone. That's one of the meanings of the term faith in Scripture. In James chapter two, James says, you believe in God. Well, great. Even the demons believe, but still shudder at the prospects of God's wrath. So, the only kind of faith that they have is intellectual faith. They know the truth of Christian doctrine, but they don't trust God. They don't love God, and so consequently, they're not saved. Well, guess what? Almost all Protestants agree with that. The only people who don't are easy believists or free grace theology people, and even a lot of them would say, you need more than just an intellectual awareness of these truths.

So, actually, the Council of Trent does not condemn justification by faith alone. It condemns justification by intellectual belief alone. And we can actually agree on that. Can Catholics use the formula of faith alone? Well, it's not our custom, because it's actually not the language of Scripture. You know, faith alone is used, the phrase faith alone is used only one time in Scripture, and that's in James 2, where it's rejected. So, this is not the language of the Bible.

But, you know, we don't need to quarrel about words. Is there a sense in which the formula of faith alone can be acceptable from a Catholic point of view? The answer is yes. In fact, Pope Benedict a few years ago gave a speech in which he said, Luther's formula of faith alone is true as long as you don't put it in opposition to loves. Because what Paul says in Galatians 5 is that what counts in Christ is neither circumcision nor uncircumcision, but faith working through love.

So, if you have faith that works through love, you are justified. You are in a state of justification. And if that's what you mean by faith, then you are saved or justified by faith alone. And there are a lot of Protestants who have agreed with that. John Calvin agreed with that. He, in his view, faith needed to include not only intellectual belief, but also trust in God and love for God. And he said, if you try to separate out love for God, it's not worth calling faith anymore. It's not real faith, in his view. And so, Calvin agreed. You're justified. The technical name in theology for this kind of faith is formed faith, meaning it's faith informed by love. And if you have faith informed by love, you are justified. Calvin agreed with that.

And in 1999, the Lutheran World Federation signed a joint declaration with the Catholic Church on the doctrine of justification, where they say, we've cleared away. You know, we have some differences in how we express ourselves, but we're agreed on the core of justification, and we don't need to be condemning each other for it anymore.

And then in 2006, the World Methodist Council joined that same decision.
In 2016, I want to say the Anglican Consultative Council approved it also.
And in 2017, the World Council of Reformed Churches joined the declaration.
https://lutheranworld.org/sites/default/files/2020/documents/joint_declaration_2019_en.pdf

So, you have Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, Reformed, all agreeing that once you clear away the terminological disputes, we're actually agreed in substance here, and we don't need to portray each other as, oh, you guys are preaching a false gospel. As long as we understand these things correctly, we're actually in agreement on the substance.

"Behold" is anti-Protestant. He is a slave to Lavrovism. He will repeat again and again. He needs pastoral counselling, not forums.

Last edited:

Jude Thaddeus

Apr 27, 2024
ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

How liars create the ‘illusion of truth’​

Repetition makes a fact seem more true, regardless of whether it is or not. Understanding this effect can help you avoid falling for propaganda, says psychologist Tom Stafford.

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”, is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels. Among psychologists something like this known as the "illusion of truth" effect. Here's how a typical experiment on the effect works: participants rate how true trivia items are, things like "A prune is a dried plum". Sometimes these items are true (like that one), but sometimes participants see a parallel version which isn't true (something like "A date is a dried plum").
read more on how "Behold" creates the illusion of truth here, post #154, 155.

1719859117511.png
same as "Behold-ism"

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather than spread lies, why not find out what the Catholic Church really teaches? You clearly don't know.

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neigbor." (Sound familiar?)
The priest, not Jesus, told me that my sins were forgiven in the black box. He was my confessor. That’s what you guys taught me. Now, are you denying it?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody “melted down”.
It’s just a stupid and irrelevant question based on YOUR ignorance of an idiom. We all know the name of the Son.

When Jesus - who is GOD commands us to do something, we DO it.
He commanded the Church to Baptize in the name of the FATHER and of the SON and of the HOLY SPIRIT (Matt. 28:19.

Why do YOU disobey Him?
I obeyed Jesus per Matthew 28:19 when I baptized in the name of of the son, which is Jesus.
What do you think the name of the son is per Matthew 28:19?

A…son.

B…Xander.

C…Jesus.

Pick one

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Son's name is Jesus - but that is totally irrelevant to the topic.
The REAL question is, "What does 'In the name of' mean?

I've already schooled you about this on numerous occasions - but here's a refresher . . .

Definition of “In the name of” . . .

According to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange/:
Putting all religious contentions aside for the sake of our language, the etymology of name offers a good place to start understanding: Old English nama, noma "name, REPUTATION," from Proto-Germanic *namon

We've all experienced the power of namedropping in our lives. People respect us and our opinions if they believe we are connected to someone with GREATER REPUTATION AND AUTHORITY.

In all cultures, people of authority have always lent their REPUTATION and their AUTHORITY to their delegates. The founders and leaders of religious movements use the same delegation strategies as the founders and leaders of nations. The English phrase in the name of simply asserts the REPUTATION and AUTHORITY of another person.

English Reports Annotated - Pages 1505-2672, 1505, page 2048:

...an action on a board given to trustees of an industrial society before the act may, after registration under the act, be brought in the name of the newly -incorporated body.

Macmillan Dictionary
1. representing someone or something
2. using the authority given by someone or something

Collins Dictionary
1. in appeal or reference to
2. by the authority of; as the representative of

Idioms.TheReferenceDictionary.com

1. Based on the authority of someone or something. We proclaim these things in the name of God. In the name of King John, I command you to halt.
2. With someone or something as a basis, reason, or motivation.

Thesaurus.com
- through - at the hand of
- supported by - through the agency of
- via - with
- through the medium of
- under the aegis of

- with the assistance of
Egad! You just talked yourself out of obeying Acts 2:38. You are the king of commentary.

The next thing you know, you are going to be baptizing babies for the remission of sins before they repent, and you will omit the name of Jesus… Lol

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptizing babies is the indoctrination of infants.
Slick idea because they grow up believing they are part of their RCC religion.
They have no idea what it’s about but refer to themselves as Catholic on paper.

How do I know, because I was one of them.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The priest, not Jesus, told me that my sins were forgiven in the black box. He was my confessor. That’s what you guys taught me. Now, are you denying it?
That wasn't what I was referring to.

With regard to the Sacrament of Confession, since you brought it up, Jesus established that in John 20:19-23.

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.

First, let's establish who it was Jesus was talking to. The Apostles, in the upper room.

Second, note that Jesus told the Apostles, "As the Father has sent Me, so I send you." How did the Father send Jesus? With ALL heavenly authority, INCLUDING the authority to forgive sins!

Third, Jesus (God) "breathed" on them. Only two times in the entire Bible did God "breathe" on man. Once in Genesis, when He created Adam, and once here. This signifies something very key going on,.

Finally, Jesus tells the Apostles, "Whose sins YOU forgive, ARE forgiven them, and whose sins YOU retain are retained."

Jesus delegated His Godly authority to forgive sins to the heirarchy of His Church. And it doesn't matter if you're in a box or face to face or outside. Authority is authority.

The sad thing is, you were never taught this, or never understood it. What a tremendous gift from Our Lord you are missing out on!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jude Thaddeus

Jude Thaddeus

Apr 27, 2024
ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Baptizing babies is the indoctrination of infants.
Slick idea because they grow up believing they are part of their RCC religion.
They have no idea what it’s about but refer to themselves as Catholic on paper.

How do I know, because I was one of them.

Truther, you will probably ignore this link, but don't goad me into pasting the article into the thread. Not many readers bother with long posts.

You were one of them, a dead Catholic now blaming the Church for your deadness. :goodj:

Last edited:

Jude Thaddeus

Apr 27, 2024
ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That wasn't what I was referring to.

With regard to the Sacrament of Confession, since you brought it up, Jesus established that in John 20:19-23.

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.

First, let's establish who it was Jesus was talking to. The Apostles, in the upper room.

Second, note that Jesus told the Apostles, "As the Father has sent Me, so I send you." How did the Father send Jesus? With ALL heavenly authority, INCLUDING the authority to forgive sins!

Third, Jesus (God) "breathed" on them. Only two times in the entire Bible did God "breathe" on man. Once in Genesis, when He created Adam, and once here. This signifies something very key going on,.

Finally, Jesus tells the Apostles, "Whose sins YOU forgive, ARE forgiven them, and whose sins YOU retain are retained."

Jesus delegated His Godly authority to forgive sins to the heirarchy of His Church. And it doesn't matter if you're in a box or face to face or outside. Authority is authority.

The sad thing is, you were never taught this, or never understood it. What a tremendous gift from Our Lord you are missing out on!
You may confuse Truther with the facts! "Lavrovite", a new term I just invented. Scroll up to post #250 for clarification.

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent assessment.

So why don’t you baptize in the name of Jesus?

You just understood what Peter did in Acts 2,8 and 10.
I don't baptize at all. I am not a priest or a minister. But my understanding is that those who use the formulation "in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy spirit" ARE baptizing in the name of Jesus Christ -- precisely because Son = Jesus Christ. Different word from Peter's. Same reference. It's the reference that matters.