Understanding : Acts 2:38

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that there will be a catching away of the Saints prior to the great tribulation?
I believe there will be one resurrection.

John 5:28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice
John 5:29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe there will be one resurrection.

John 5:28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice
John 5:29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.
Is that the same same resurrection as the one depicted in first Thessalonians chapter 4?

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need a new Bible...or concentrate on the one you have'

Baptism is Required

Peter 3: 21.... whereunto even baptism doth also now save us...

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 10;47-48...
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Quote from Billy Graham that is note worthy;
....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Also two other books of th boble)
If baptism and not Jesus removes sin, how many times a day do you dunk?

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, in a sense, that baptism as zero to do with the removal of sin. Such can only be accomplished by God, Himself. However, it seems clear enough from passages such as Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16, Col 2:11-13, etc. that baptism is the occasion, the time in the life of the repentant believer, that God as promised that He will forgive sin.

I would plead with you and all who reject any connection between salvation and baptism as clearly indicated in the Bible to rethink it. Whether or not God can and will forgive the sins of the unbaptized can be a serious topic of discussion. However, to reject the promise that God has given with respect to the obvious connection of salvation with baptism is terribly, terribly foolish. Why anyone would even consider that just makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I connect it to salvation directly.
But I know what it is.
It is what Paul explained it to be.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,...

I showed you.
Yes we see all over the epistles where people sinned, and were told they needed to go get baptized ? Nope ....nothing at all.

You Quoted Peter.
You came up with ONE VERSE.
That is the stuff error is made from.
One verse wonders.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we see all over the epistles where people sinned, and were told they needed to go get baptized ? Nope ....nothing at all.

You Quoted Peter.
You came up with ONE VERSE.
That is the stuff error is made from.
One verse wonders.
Does this…
Then Peter said unto them repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins… Bother you? Should this verse be ignored? If you ask Peter “what shall I do””?”, Would you want a different answer than this?

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If baptism and not Jesus removes sin, how many times a day do you dunk?
Nothing removes sin. If you murder someone, he stays murdered. If you steal from someone, even if you returned what you stole, the sin would not go away. Our sin does not go away, God forgives the repentant believer when he is baptized.

And being forgiven, i.e., being justified, is not an on-again-off-again operation by God. Being forgiven, i.e., being justified, is a state of being for the one in Christ.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there is only one. It occurs when Jesus returns.
1 Thessalonians 4 speaks of a catching away prior to the second coming of Jesus. It is the same depiction that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 24 with one taken and the other left.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing removes sin. If you murder someone, he stays murdered. If you steal from someone, even if you returned what you stole, the sin would not go away. Our sin does not go away, God forgives the repentant believer when he is baptized.

And being forgiven, i.e., being justified, is not an on-again-off-again operation by God. Being forgiven, i.e., being justified, is a state of being for the one in Christ.
May I add… Forgives the repentant believer when he is baptized in the name of Jesus Christ specifically

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will leave it to you to research the issue. But Zwingli's view seems clear enough for me. He rejected the RCC's view of infant baptism and the more general view of baptismal regeneration as the RCC proclaimed it.

Yes, that is Cross's opinion which he references in his text.

However, in all of this, I think you are misreading me. I believe that NT biblical baptism is not the source nor the basis for salvation. I do believe however that NT biblical baptism is the point in time for the repentant believer when salvation is received, God being the source for salvation.
I fail to understand your distinguishing/separating the effects.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not said anything different. But are you suggesting that God cannot save anyone who has not been baptized?
P S..you inferred...Christ saved the thief without baptism....but no where in the Bible does it say He was or was not baptized.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to limit this to apostles. EVERYONE who does not yet know something cannot yet teach it. Duh!

Well, Peter did not understand the need to reach out to Gentiles until the Cornelius incident (not learned from Paul). That doesn't render every word he preached prior to that incident worthless! It doesn't render his Pentecost speech in Acts 2 false in any respect, nor indicate that he didn't understand a single element of "the Gospel of the Grace of God" at that time.

If you want to attack water baptism, have at it -- but this argument limps badly. Although not as badly as

If this is an argument against water baptism, it just doesn't float!
Behold doesn't arrive at thought through study, he just rattles off whatever nonsense he's been told--no need to point out what Scripture says.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fail to understand your distinguishing/separating the effects.
We are not saved by the act of being baptized. We are saved by God at the occasion, the instant, of being baptized. I do not see why that seems to be so difficult for some to understand. It is an important distinction.