Understanding : Acts 2:38

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible scholars are leaving Christianity in droves. Why?
Not because they don't understand the Bible, obviously. (they're Bible scholars)
It is precisely the reason these so-called Bible scholars are leaving Christianity is that they Do Not Understand Bible Doctrines and its Interpretations!!! Had these "obviously Bible scholars" have known the truth, they would never leave.

We read in 1John 2:19-21

19) They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
20) But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
21) I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

To God Be The Glory
:

Reactions: Ritajanice

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree with your interpretation of Jesus' reference. Jesus was commissioning outreach to the Gentiles worldwide.

Mark 13:10 tells us that before the end arrives “The gospel must first be preached to all the nations,” while Mark 14:9 concludes the story of the anointing at Bethany with “Wherever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, what this woman hath done shall be also told, in memory of her,” and it seems unlikely in the extreme that the author intended only a world-wide outreach to Jews. By the time of John’s gospel, the issue is settled: John 1:29 has the Baptist saying “Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world;” John 3:16 admonishes that “God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son;” John 10:16 quotes Jesus as desiring to bring the “other sheep” into the one flock; John 12:20-21 has Greeks asking after Jesus; and so on.

What God said via His Old Testament prophets gives more detail of what would happen with His scattering of the ten lost tribes of Israel. Most of my Christian brethren don't read those prophecies that are in the Old Testament prophets, like Hosea.

Some churches even wrongly teach that the Old Testament is dead history when it contains many prophecies still not yet fulfilled to this day. By their wrongly doing that they actually are creating a different religion with only teaching The New Testament.

The following is God declaring what He would do to the ten northern tribe kingdom. The final verse here in Hosea 2 Apostle Paul quoted in Romans 9:25-26 to Roman Gentile believers on Jesus Christ. Yet the Book of Hosea was originally given only to the ten northern tribes of Israel when God was getting ready to end their northern kingdom for their continuing to do false worship.

Hos 2:14-23
14 Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her.

In the previous Hosea 1 Chapter and earlier Hosea 2 verses, God had established the northern ten tribe "house of Israel" as having fallen away from Him into Baal worship, and He determined to scatter them.

The above verse is God proclaiming what He would do to the ten tribes after scattering them "into the wilderness", which historically was to the West, in Asia Minor and Europe where The Gospel was preached after it was rejected in Jerusalem by the Jews.

15 And I will give her her vineyards from thence, and the valley of Achor for a door of hope: and she shall sing there, as in the days of her youth, and as in the day when she came up out of the land of Egypt.

16 And it shall be at that day, saith the LORD, that thou shalt call Me Ishi; and shalt call me no more Baali.
17 For I will take away the names of Baalim out of her mouth, and they shall no more be remembered by their name.

The ten tribes of Israel had fallen into Baal worship. But at this point, once God scattered them, He would take the names of Baali out of their mouths, and they would begin to call Him "Ishi" (i.e, my husband - see 2 Cor.11).

18 And in that day will I make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven, and with the creeping things of the ground: and I will break the bow and the sword and the battle out of the earth, and will make them to lie down safely.

19 And I will betroth thee unto Me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto Me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies.

20 I will even betroth thee unto Me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD.

That is about the scattered ten tribes of Israel here eventually being scattered among the Gentiles and along with believing Gentiles, and likewise receiving The Gospel of Jesus Christ with them. A small remnant of scattered Jews would also receive The Gospel with them, and they all would become Christ's Church.

21 And it shall come to pass in that day, I will hear, saith the LORD, I will hear the heavens, and they shall hear the earth;
22 And the earth shall hear the corn, and the wine, and the oil; and they shall hear Jezreel.

And I will sow her unto Me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not My people, "Thou art My people; and they shall say, 'Thou art my God.'"
KJV

Apostle Paul quoted the above verse in 'red' in Romans 9 when he was speaking to Gentile Roman believers on Christ. That meant Paul was including the ten northern tribes of Israel in with the Gentiles in the West with accepting The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even in the Scottish Declaration of Arbroath those Scots proclaimed their heritage from old Israel.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we do not obey Acts 2:38, we are not in the first century Church. We’re in another brand of Christendom.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we do not obey Acts 2:38, we are not in the first century Church. We’re in another brand of Christendom.

Those who claim a 'gibberish' unknown tongue is the cloven tongue of Pentecost are NOT following the evidence of Acts 2 of what the Apostles spoke and what the multitude present heard (in their own dialects of their languages of birth).

Even in the Greek of Acts 2, the subject of the text about what tongue was spoken is outlined by Holy Spirit markings like the following, thus sealing in what was actually spoken at Pentecost...

Greek Acts 2:
'glossa' (known languages) - Acts 2:3
'glossa' -- Acts 2:4
....'dialektos' (dialects) -- Acts 2:6
....'dialektos' -- Acts 2:8
'glossa' -- Acts 2:11
'glossa' -- Acts 2:26

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who claim a 'gibberish' unknown tongue is the cloven tongue of Pentecost are NOT following the evidence of Acts 2 of what the Apostles spoke and what the multitude present heard (in their own dialects of their languages of birth).

Even in the Greek of Acts 2, the subject of the text about what tongue was spoken is outlined by Holy Spirit markings like the following, thus sealing in what was actually spoken at Pentecost...

Greek Acts 2:
I am speaking specifically that those that do not obey this...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,...

Are not in the early church, but in another brand of Christendom.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Nor is taught as salvation.

"The cult of the Virgin" has a "bible".. the Douay Rheims, and in John 3, it teaches "baptismal regeneration".

It reads..

"Born again......BY Water"

"By Water" are you :"born again".

And that is a LIE., as no one is born again BY WATER.., as water is just water.

The CHRISTian is born again by the : HOLY SPIRIT....

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church of christ told me that I was not saved even if water baptized. Because it was only to be performed by them.
So I walked out.
They were not able to pull me out of the ditch I was in in 1974.
Then Jesus came in 1976. Saved by a real live savior ' with no church and no evangelist

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Greek Acts 2:
Paul said by spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet Peter was not water baptized that Day, and neither were those in the "upper room"< yet the "Gift of Tongues" was GIVEN TO THEM...

That's interesting, isn't it..
That's how you see Acts 2:38?

"Rules for thee but not for me"?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
That's how you see Acts 2:38?

"Rules for thee but not for me"?

Notice..

You have "water cults" that teach that you receive the Holy Spirit, and the Gift of Tongues, when you are "water baptized".

Now, if you read John 20:22... you find that Jesus gives the Holy Spirit, to the 11 Apostles, and none of them are water baptized, and none of them "speak in Tongues".

LATER, you have Acts 2:38, that happened LATER., and Peter was not water baptized then, and yet he and the upper room believers, who were also not water baptized.... received the #9 Spiritual Gift that you will find on Paul The Apostle's List of "Spiritual Gifts".

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice..

You have "water cults" that teach that you receive the Holy Spirit, and the Gift of Tongues, when you are "water baptized".

Now, if you read John 20:22... you find that Jesus gives the Holy Spirit, to the 11 Apostles, and none of them are water baptized, and none of them "speak in Tongues".

LATER, you have Acts 2:38, that happened LATER., and Peter was not water baptized then, and yet he and the upper room believers, who were also not water baptized.... received the #9 Spiritual Gift that you will find on Paul The Apostle's List of "Spiritual Gifts".
Water cults?

What is that?

You talking about this "cult"?...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,...

Since when is doing something to obtain remission of sins "cultic"?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said by spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful

No such word as "unknown" in the 1 Corinthians 14 chapter. The KJV translators ADDED that word "unknown" in the phrase "unknown tongue".

Apostle Paul explained about spiritual gifts early in the 1 Cor.12 chapter...

1 Cor 12:7-11
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits;
to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
KJV

Paul's idea, "divers kinds of tongues" means VARIOUS KNOWN LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD. It is not about an unknown tongue.

Furthermore, Paul says the spiritual gifts are divided among Christ's body of believers. Not everyone will manifest the same gifts. Yet Pentecostals claim that if one doesn't speak in an 'unknown tongue' then they don't have evidence of The Holy Spirit, which is an idea Paul did not teach!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Yet Peter didnt do that himself when he received the Holy Spirit, in John 20:22, or in Acts 2:38.

Also, Paul's Gospel is NOT.. ."repent and get dunked"..

You should find that out, and not wait too long.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet Peter didnt do that himself when he received the Holy Spirit, in John 20:22, or in Acts 2:38.

Also, Paul's Gospel is NOT.. ."repent and get dunked"..

You should find that out, and not wait too long.
Again, "rules for thee and not for me"?

Paul ordered baptism in the name of Jesus.

Did you know that?

If Paul ordered you to be baptized in the name of Jesus, would you do it too?

Like the jailer and the 12 in acts were ordered to?

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church of christ told me that I was not saved even if water baptized. Because it was only to be performed by them.
So I walked out.
They were not able to pull me out of the ditch I was in in 1974.
Then Jesus came in 1976. Saved by a real live savior ' with no church and no evangelist
Yes, but they believe they are the only ones that will be saved.

Because of my baby baptism and they convincing me I had to get baptised anew I spoke with two of their people.. different churches. Had one meeting and a week later was told they would not.

They are a strange "cult" in my opinion.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but they believe they are the only ones that will be saved.

Because of my baby baptism and they convincing me I had to get baptised anew I spoke with two of their people.. different churches. Had one meeting and a week later was told they would not.

They are a strange "cult" in my opinion.
Regardless of all the crazy religions that we are surrounded by, the best thing to do is to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of our sins. Let’s get back to the original. Don’t look at the other religions because they are a mirage.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmm... Baby Baptised here. Yet I can pray and sing in tongues....:dusted:

AND... The Holy Spirit lives in me. :Happy:
The Holy Spirit has been given to you to lead you to water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No such word as "unknown" in the 1 Corinthians 14 chapter. The KJV translators ADDED that word "unknown" in the phrase "unknown tongue".

Apostle Paul explained about spiritual gifts early in the 1 Cor.12 chapter...

1 Cor 12:7-11
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits;
to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
KJV

Paul's idea, "divers kinds of tongues" means VARIOUS KNOWN LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD. It is not about an unknown tongue.

Furthermore, Paul says the spiritual gifts are divided among Christ's body of believers. Not everyone will manifest the same gifts. Yet Pentecostals claim that if one doesn't speak in an 'unknown tongue' then they don't have evidence of The Holy Spirit, which is an idea Paul did not teach!
This is all man's mental understanding.
Not a thing of the spirit.
Like a mechanic guiding an accountant.
You have zero idea what you are talking about.
The slightest miracle or term you can not pigeon hole in some made up cessationist doctrinel sends you into a supposed "biblical" "understanding" while leaving out verses that blow your deal to pieces.

Reactions: Truther