the Olivet Discourse understood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have responded to this already
No, you didn't. You said nothing whatsoever about Ephesians 1:19-23 at any time.

, and I don't see similarity whatsoever, the sister verse to Daniel 7:13 is Matthew 24:30 as I have posted several times, the explanation for Daniel 7:14 is seen in Revelation 11:15-18 when Jesus reigns in the eternal kingdom for ever and ever
No similarity whatsoever. Are you being fully honest here? Did you compare them?

Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

Ephesians 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, 20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

Both of these talk about Jesus being by the Father's side, but you think there's no similarities here? How can you say that?

Daniel 7:14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

Ephesians 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

You honestly think there are no similarities between Jesus being given "dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him" and being given "power, and might, and dominion" over "all principality...and every name that is named"? I don't see how anyone can honestly claim that there are no similarities there. There most certainly are. Why can't you just be honest about that? I'm not asking you to agree with my interpretation of the Daniel 7 passage, I'm just asking you to humble yourself and be honest enough to acknowledge that they have similarities, which is very obvious. I have no trouble acknowledging that there is a similarity between Daniel 7:13 and Matthew 24:30, but that alone doesn't make them about the same event. But, you can't even bring yourself to acknowledge the similarities between Daniel 7:13-14 and Ephesians 1:19-23.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes in 70AD by Roman soldiers

It's not prophesied in Matthew chapter 24 as many claim, tye temple to be destroyed was the Lord's body as I have shown several times

It's not prophesied in Matthew chapter 24 as many claim
Okay, so where do you think the destruction of the temple buildings standing at the time Jesus give the Olivet Discourse IS prophesied in scripture, if anywhere?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you didn't. You said nothing whatsoever about Ephesians 1:19-23 at any time.

No similarity whatsoever. Are you being fully honest here? Did you compare them?

Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

Ephesians 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, 20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

Both of these talk about Jesus being by the Father's side, but you think there's no similarities here? How can you say that?
I disagree, the context is the second coming in the clouds, and Matthew 24:30 is its comparable verse, Daniel 7:21-22 also interprets the verse mentioned, the Ancient of Days "Came"
Daniel 7:14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

Ephesians 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

You honestly think there are no similarities between Jesus being given "dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him" and being given "power, and might, and dominion" over "all principality...and every name that is named"? I don't see how anyone can honestly claim that there are no similarities there. There most certainly are. Why can't you just be honest about that? I'm not asking you to agree with my interpretation of the Daniel 7 passage, I'm just asking you to humble yourself and be honest enough to acknowledge that they have similarities, which is very obvious. I have no trouble acknowledging that there is a similarity between Daniel 7:13 and Matthew 24:30, but that alone doesn't make them about the same event. But, you can't even bring yourself to acknowledge the similarities between Daniel 7:13-14 and Ephesians 1:19-23.
I really can't believe that Daniel 7:9-11 shows the second coming and final judgement, then you believe a few verses later takes tye reader back 2,000 years to the ascension, and don't forget Daniel 7:21-22 giving the simple interpretation "The Ancient Of Days Came"

Douggg

Nov 26, 2020
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so where do you think the destruction of the temple buildings standing at the time Jesus give the Olivet Discourse IS prophesied in scripture, if anywhere?
In the (Near-term) verses column in the table I made. Use this table to know which verses are Near-term, which verses are Long-term, and which verses are End Times

Olivet Discourse11.jpg

Last edited:

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't see that connection with the mention of the gathering of eagles or vultures. This other passage shows the context of the gathering of eagles or vultures and it doesn't have any connection with 70 AD:

Luke 17:33 Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. 34 I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35 Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left.” [36] [e] 37 “Where, Lord?” they asked. He replied, “Where there is a dead body, there the vultures will gather.”

I believe the context of the eagles/vultures gathering is in the sense of them gathering where dead bodies will be when Jesus returns and believers are taken up to meet Him in the air while unbelievers are left to be killed.
Matthew 24
28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Luke 17
35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

Perhaps we have two different carcases.

The Matthew 24 account, which refers to the carcase before the grinding women, would suggest the 70 AD carcase of desolated Israel, while the Luke 17 account, which refers to the grinding women before the carcase, would suggest the second advent carcases.

I can't reconcile those differences.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree, the context is the second coming in the clouds, and Matthew 24:30 is its comparable verse, Daniel 7:21-22 also interprets the verse mentioned, the Ancient of Days "Came"

I really can't believe that Daniel 7:9-11 shows the second coming and final judgement, then you believe a few verses later takes tye reader back 2,000 years to the ascension, and don't forget Daniel 7:21-22 giving the simple interpretation "The Ancient Of Days Came"
Are you reading what I'm saying? I'm not even asking if you agree with my interpretation of Daniel 7:13-14 because I already know you disagree. Okay? Are you with me so far? What I'm asking you is whether you see any similarities between what is written here:

And here:

Ephesians 1:19 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

So, all I'm asking you is whether a description of Jesus being given "dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him" is similar to a description of him being given "power, and might, and dominion" that is "far above all principality...and every name that is named" with "all things under his feet"? Yes or no?

We're never going to agree on this, so you don't have to keep telling me you disagree with my interpretation. All I'm trying to do at this point is get you to see why I believe what I do. It's not as if I'm basing my belief on two scriptures that have no similarities. Can you at least acknowledge that much?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24
28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Luke 17
35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

Perhaps we have two different carcases.

The Matthew 24 account, which refers to the carcase before the grinding women, would suggest the 70 AD carcase of desolated Israel, while the Luke 17 account, which refers to the grinding women before the carcase, would suggest the second advent carcases.

I can't reconcile those differences.
I don't believe those are referring to different events. I'm not sure why you can't reconcile those, but I see no problem with reconciling those. What exactly makes you think that Matthew 24:28;40-41 is not referring to the second advent?

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't believe those are referring to different events. I'm not sure why you can't reconcile those, but I see no problem with reconciling those. What exactly makes you think that Matthew 24:28;40-41 is not referring to the second advent?
Because of the differing order in which the same two events are presented.

And Matthew 24:34: Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the (Near-term) verses column in the table I made. Use this table to know which verses are Near-term, which verses are Long-term, and which verses are End Times

View attachment 46933
Okay, I remember seeing this before, but it was awhile ago at this point and I forgot about it. I appreciate that you at least acknowledge that Jesus's answer to the question about the destruction of the temple can be found in all 3 accounts of the Olivet Discourse. But, I disagree with which verses you think He answered that question.

Anyway, let's look at Matthew 24:4-13.

Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

So, you think these verses are related to things leading up to what happened in 70 AD, including the destruction of the temple. Now, that was a local event in Jerusalem. What Jesus talks about here in this passage are global things. Can you explain why Jesus would refer to things that would be happening globally as evidence of the impending destruction of Jerusalem and its temple? I don't see how that makes any sense.

Also, in verse 13 Jesus refers to "the end". Don't you see that as a reference to "the end of the age" that Jesus was asked about? Would you agree that "the end of the age" will occur at Jesus's second coming in the future? I notice you don't include verse 14 as being related to things leading up to the destruction of the temple. Why would you include verse 13, but not verse 14?

Matthew 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Why would "the end" in verse 14 be something different than "the end" in verse 13? Surely, that would be very confusing if that was the case. If they are referring to different things, why wouldn't Jesus have made it clear that He was referring to a different "end" in verse 14 than "the end" He had just mentioned a few seconds earlier?

Last edited:

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because of the differing order in which the same two events are presented.

And Matthew 24:34: Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
I don't personally think that means they can't be speaking of the same event. But, I also apparently don't interpret Matthew 24:34 the way you do.

I don't believe Jesus was speaking in a chronological sense throughout the Olivet Discourse as many seem to think. I believe He went back and forth between talking about things related to His coming and the end of the age, then about the destruction of the temple and then back to things related to His coming and the end of the age again. And He also made multiple references to the same event. He referenced His second coming specifically several times in the discourse. To me, every time He referred to His second coming it was the same second coming of Christ every time and I do not believe that He came in 70 AD in any sense.

Stash

Mar 26, 2024
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
70 ad the western wall still remains and there is still a lot of stones. Didn’t we just see Trump go to the wailing wall? That’s because the destruction hasn’t happened yet until after the antichrist sets up shop. Don’t get stuck in 70 A.D. or you’ll miss everything

Reactions: ewq1938

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
70 ad the western wall still remains and there is still a lot of stones. Didn’t we just see Trump go to the wailing wall? That’s because the destruction hasn’t happened yet until after the antichrist sets up shop. Don’t get stuck in 70 A.D. or you’ll miss everything
Please look at the scripture again:

Mark 13:1 And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here! 2 And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Do you see any reference to a wall here? There isn't. The disciples were not talking about any wall there, they were talking about the temple buildings. Not retaining walls. The wailing wall is not and never was part of a building. Jesus specifically said that the temple buildings, such as the one they had just went out of, would be destroyed with no stone left upon another. And that is what happened in 70 AD.

Reactions: covenantee

tailgator

Jun 23, 2024
NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this passage mean?...

Matt 24.Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

This happened in 70 AD, about 40 years after Jesus predicted the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. This is not Last Days prophecy--this happened in the generation of those alive in Jesus' time.

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

These "Birth Pains" took place in Jesus' own generation. They anticipated the coming fall of Jerusalem to the Romans. There were rumors of wars, warning Jesus' Disciples that this judgment was surely coming. The signs included indications God was unhappy with Israel and was soon to bring final judgment to them.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Jesus' own Disciples among the Jewish People would be rejected and persecuted by apostate Israel, ie by their unbelieving Jewish brothers. This was some of the sin for which God was bringing judgment to Israel in 70 AD.

15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.

There is no question, particularly when the parallel account is read in Luke 21, that this is about a Great Tribulation spanning the entire NT age. That's what makes it the "Great Tribulation." It's the greatest punishment that Israel has ever experienced--the longest punishment in its history. And when Israel experienced punishment, they suffered the tribulation of exile and the curses that followed them in that exile. It is called the "Jewish Diaspora."

The "Abomination of Desolation" is spelled out in Daniel, and is not to be confused with another AoD mentioned in Daniel, which applied to Antiochus 4 of Syria. This particular AoD originates from Dan 9 where the "people of the prince to come," an Army, is to come to destroy Jerusalem and the Temple. That's the AoD Jesus is speaking of here.

And the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD was merely the start of Israel's exile and an entire age of Jewish Diaspora. It was to last until the preaching of the Gospel is preached to the whole world as a warning of ultimate judgment for human sin.

22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

As there was in that early generation so it continues throughout the age that Millennial groups attempt to state that they are the "move of Christ" to bring God's Kingdom to earth. But God is concerned about the ultimate destruction of the Jewish People before He can judge and remove the wicked from among them in order to restore the nation using the repentant. And so, Christ will in the end come from heaven to bring an end to Israel's oppression and to save the Church from their persecution.

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

In accordance with Dan 7, the Son of Man comes from the clouds, ie from heaven, and not before. In other words, even as false Messianic movements proliferated the Roman army would gather around Jerusalem. And Jesus would not deliver Israel at that time, but would come later with the clouds.

So Jesus warns his Disciples that the Roman "vultures" will gather against Jerusalem to destroy the Temple. The Romans carried "eagle" standards, representing gods that they worshiped. They gathered "like eagles" around Jerusalem, the "corpse." Deliverance from heaven will not come before Israel is brought under judgment in that generation.

29 “Immediately after the distress of those days
“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’

It is after the Jewish Distress of the present age, while Christians are persecuted, that Christ, the Son of Man, will return from heaven, but not before.

30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory."

This is the completion of what Daniel saw in Dan 7, which is the coming of the Son of Man from heaven to destroy the persecutors of the Church and to establish God's Kingdom on their behalf. Daniel there portrays the coming of the Son of Man to destroy Antichrist, the Man of Sin, who opposes God's People and His Kingdom.
The great tribulation Jesus was talking about is at the time of the end Jesus was quoting Daniel when speaking of the great tribulation Daniel even says this takes place at the time of the end in Daniel 11:40.

Mathew 24
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

From Daniel 12:1
and there shall be a time of tribulation, such tribulation as has not been from the time that there was a nation on the earth until that time:

Daniel 12:1-2
And at that time Michael the great prince shall stand up, that stands over the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of tribulation, such tribulation as has not been from the time that there was a nation on the earth until that time: at that time thy people shall be delivered, even every one that is written in the book.
And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to reproach and everlasting shame.

Antiochus did not fulfill Daniels prophecy concerning the abomination of desolation .That is a false interpretation of Daniels prophecy by a Hellenistic Jew named Jason who has misled many so that they do not pay attention to Daniels prophecy.

Stash

Mar 26, 2024
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please look at the scripture again:

Mark 13:1 And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here! 2 And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Do you see any reference to a wall here? There isn't. The disciples were not talking about any wall there, they were talking about the temple buildings. Not retaining walls. The wailing wall is not and never was part of a building. Jesus specifically said that the temple buildings, such as the one they had just went out of, would be destroyed with no stone left upon another. And that is what happened in 70 AD.
No stone upon another seems like a wall to me ALSO
I mean, isn’t a wall made out of stone?

I’m saying when the antichrist comes very shortly and takes up shop in the temple mount, every rock will be destroyed when God comes back, including the wailing wall

I know I’m not gonna change your mind however, I disagree with you. You’re saying Titus is bringing on the end of the world lol.
And if your theology is based on that stoned temple in 70 A.D. I guarantee you will be fooled by the antichrist.

Stash

Mar 26, 2024
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I know the apostles asked about the buildings, but Jesus did not mention the buildings only. Jesus said things, including the wall.

Matthew 24:2

King James Version

And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Reactions: ewq1938

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No stone upon another seems like a wall to me ALSO
I mean, isn’t a wall made out of stone?

I’m saying when the antichrist comes very shortly and takes up shop in the temple mount, every rock will be destroyed when God comes back, including the wailing wall

I know I’m not gonna change your mind however, I disagree with you. You’re saying Titus is bringing on the end of the world lol.
And if your theology is based on that stoned temple in 70 A.D. I guarantee you will be fooled by the antichrist.
The antichrists who were already present in John's day (1 John 2:18) have continued to fool multitudes ever since.

Today, the fooled are known as Darby/Scofield dispensational futurists.

Reactions: Spiritual Israelite

Stash

Mar 26, 2024
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The antichrists who were already present in John's day (1 John 2:18) have continued to fool multitudes ever since.

Today, the fooled are known as Darby/Scofield dispensational futurists.

Here’s how it’s gonna go down
The antichrist is going to show up very shortly he will be supernatural. He will take over Jerusalem and he would demand worship like Jesus or a god

Since this has not happened
Then it is in the future

Future proves past

I’m not here to lecture anybody I just don’t want anybody to get fooled by the Antichrist

And since the whole world has not yet been fooled by the antichrist, ( except the elect, ) that also proves its future

Step it up or get left behind

Stash

Mar 26, 2024
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus looked down from the mountain, he said no thing will be left standing

If you’re saying that no thing does not include the wall that means you’re making a religion out of the temple

Stash

Mar 26, 2024
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True; only Darby/Scofield dispensational futurists have been fooled.
Just for the record lol
I don’t believe in the rapture
I believe we are the Israelites we are the lost 10 tribes

The Gentiles are those that are not Christians example Muslim
I believe the antichrist will be supernatural and we should keep an eye on Jerusalem
I do not believe those living in Israel are the chosen ones
Matter-of-fact the only tribes, there are mostly Judah and Benjamin the rest could give a crap
So how can they be chosen?

They were chosen at a time to do a job
The Elect were chosen at a time to do a job
The body of Christ all has a job to do
For goodness, gracious most of the tribes in Israel, do not believe in Jesus, and they definitely will be full by the antichrist
Is that chosen to fail?
I think so a lesson to be learned