Is anyone else a Seer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
May I have a verse that says John was a prophet?

Yes - if you first define what a Prophet is...

Was Peter a prophet when he predicted the immediate death of Sapphira?

Is a Prophet one that brings the Voice of God by the Spirit to believers?

1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 10:11 KJV
And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

Does this count for you?

Much love!
Any Christian can prophecies. See 1 Corinthians 12:10. There called manifestations of the spirit. If you can speak in tongues. Then you can prophecies.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes - if you first define what a Prophet is...

Was Peter a prophet when he predicted the immediate death of Sapphira?

Is a Prophet one that brings the Voice of God by the Spirit to believers?

1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.
Any Christian can prophecies. See 1 Corinthians 12:10. There called manifestations of the spirit. If you can speak in tongues. Then you can prophecies.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter- can you please define what you mean by Prophet in a New Testament sense.
Prophets are those who have God’s spirit, and therefore they are able to speak for God, because He makes Himself known to them. The world never looks upon prophets as being successful or popular among the public, and therefore they are never invited to compete with others to endeavor to become the most outstanding citizens of the community. They are usually reproached and hardly ever swim with the stream, the current of the times, and that is why their path is seldom smooth or easy.

The measure of a prophet’s success is the measure of faithfulness before God as God’s spokesperson, and never measured by the degree their testimony, witnessing, or speaking of God’s Word is received by others. Because they reverence and respect God’s Word, they do not shrink in the face of danger, nor do they fear people or seek the praise of others. But from deep within their hearts, they seek the praise of God and His blessing. The prophets of the Old Testament were able to speak for God to make known the coming of Jesus Christ (who would be the only begotten Son of God) through the written Word they received from God. To understand the biblical way the word “prophet” is used in the Scriptures, it's always best to look at the first occurrence of the word, which is in Genesis and is used by God to tell the king to leave the man’s wife alone. “Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet” (Genesis 20:7).

This first occurrence of the word “prophet” shows us that it was used in a different way from the way we use it today, which is mostly used in our current English to indicate when one is to foretell future events. But in the Bible, it's used in connection with Abraham, who not only had a very pretty wife, but also never foretold anything in his life. In Exodus the same God calls Aaron Moses’s prophet, which takes us a step further and leads us to the question of how one could be another man’s prophet? The answer is found in Exodus, where God, who is referring to the same subject, tells Moses that Aaron “shall be thy spokesman” (Exodus 4:16). Therefore, the essential interpretation of the word “prophet” is a spokesperson who speaks for God, either by way of exhortation, instruction, reproof, warning, correction, reprobation, or judgment. Foretelling was only a very small part of their duties.

John the Baptist was born with the spirit from God right from his mother’s womb, and that is why Jesus Christ said, “Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist” (Luke 7:28). John was known to preach in the wilderness, dress in camel hair, and eat locusts with wild honey for dinner. Perhaps John did not have a beautiful wife like Abraham, but he did have one thing that was the same as Abraham—he also never foretold anything in his life. John the Baptist was God’s spokesman who was equipped and sent forth by God to prepare the way for the Messiah for Israel. Prophets were essentially God’s spokespersons, and their sole mission was to speak only those words that were given to them to speak. They were totally meek and humble, as we see so many times from the obedience of such statements as, “The word of the Lord came unto Samuel, saying” or “And the Lord commanded Moses.”

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Prophets are those who have God’s spirit, and therefore they are able to speak for God, because He makes Himself known to them. The world never looks upon prophets as being successful or popular among the public, and therefore they are never invited to compete with others to endeavor to become the most outstanding citizens of the community. They are usually reproached and hardly ever swim with the stream, the current of the times, and that is why their path is seldom smooth or easy.

The measure of a prophet’s success is the measure of faithfulness before God as God’s spokesperson, and never measured by the degree their testimony, witnessing, or speaking of God’s Word is received by others. Because they reverence and respect God’s Word, they do not shrink in the face of danger, nor do they fear people or seek the praise of others. But from deep within their hearts, they seek the praise of God and His blessing. The prophets of the Old Testament were able to speak for God to make known the coming of Jesus Christ (who would be the only begotten Son of God) through the written Word they received from God. To understand the biblical way the word “prophet” is used in the Scriptures, it's always best to look at the first occurrence of the word, which is in Genesis and is used by God to tell the king to leave the man’s wife alone. “Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet” (Genesis 20:7).

This first occurrence of the word “prophet” shows us that it was used in a different way from the way we use it today, which is mostly used in our current English to indicate when one is to foretell future events. But in the Bible, it's used in connection with Abraham, who not only had a very pretty wife, but also never foretold anything in his life. In Exodus the same God calls Aaron Moses’s prophet, which takes us a step further and leads us to the question of how one could be another man’s prophet? The answer is found in Exodus, where God, who is referring to the same subject, tells Moses that Aaron “shall be thy spokesman” (Exodus 4:16). Therefore, the essential interpretation of the word “prophet” is a spokesperson who speaks for God, either by way of exhortation, instruction, reproof, warning, correction, reprobation, or judgment. Foretelling was only a very small part of their duties.

John the Baptist was born with the spirit from God right from his mother’s womb, and that is why Jesus Christ said, “Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist” (Luke 7:28). John was known to preach in the wilderness, dress in camel hair, and eat locusts with wild honey for dinner. Perhaps John did not have a beautiful wife like Abraham, but he did have one thing that was the same as Abraham—he also never foretold anything in his life. John the Baptist was God’s spokesman who was equipped and sent forth by God to prepare the way for the Messiah for Israel. Prophets were essentially God’s spokespersons, and their sole mission was to speak only those words that were given to them to speak. They were totally meek and humble, as we see so many times from the obedience of such statements as, “The word of the Lord came unto Samuel, saying” or “And the Lord commanded Moses.”

Yes - you have nicely touched on quite a few issues but have made a few assumptions based on 'non-mention'

For example, stating that John the Baptist never foretold anything in His life is not supported by Scripture and he clearly foretold that Jesus would take away the sins of the world. This indicates to me you have a beef about foretelling.

Your opening sentence would seem to qualify all believers as prophets i.e. anyone with God's Spirit. This does not seem to stack up with the scriptural record which denotes some only being prophets.

Acts 11:27
Now at this time some prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch.

Ephesians 4:11
And He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers,

Your emphasis on 'first occurrence' is a human construct that can result in an imbalance of understanding and in this case , combined with the emphasis of non mention, does just that.

You seem to allow for prophets disclosing future events, but somehow convey caution to the point of judgement against those who do - Yet John's prophesy in Revelation clearly did. So again your position is overcautious to the point of running the risk of being judgemental of those being raised up in this function.

So can I gently ask you to allow room for God to be raising up His prophetic voices in this age despite the circus we see in some branches of the modern church.

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each of these passages treat prophecy and the other gifts as not being equally shared by all, but rather being given to certain persons.

Romans 12:4-7 KJV
4) For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
5) So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6) Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7) Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

1 Corinthians 12:10 KJV
10) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

1 Corinthians 12:28-30 KJV
28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29) Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30) Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Much love!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the proper definition of prophet. visions and dreams in riddles. The about Peter seeing the sheet coming down with unclean animals. That was a riddle.

Numbers 12:6-8 -
And the Lord said to them, “Now listen to what I say:

“If there were prophets among you,
I, the Lord, would reveal myself in visions.
I would speak to them in dreams.
7 But not with my servant Moses.
Of all my house, he is the one I trust.
8 I speak to him face to face,
clearly, and not in riddles!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This is the proper definition of prophet. visions and dreams in riddles. The about Peter seeing the sheet coming down with unclean animals. That was a riddle.

Numbers 12:6-8 -
And the Lord said to them, “Now listen to what I say:

“If there were prophets among you,
I, the Lord, would reveal myself in visions.
I would speak to them in dreams.
7 But not with my servant Moses.
Of all my house, he is the one I trust.
8 I speak to him face to face,
clearly, and not in riddles!

Amen to that...

He speaks clearly, sometimes through visions and dreams, sometimes direct.

When He speaks 'in riddles' the meaning is always revealed.

Reactions: Azim

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each of these passages treat prophecy and the other gifts as not being equally shared by all, but rather being given to certain persons.

Romans 12:4-7 KJV
4) For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
5) So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6) Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7) Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

1 Corinthians 12:10 KJV
10) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

1 Corinthians 12:28-30 KJV
28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29) Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30) Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Much love!
You are mixing apples and oranges. Gift ministries are not the same as the manifestations of the spirit.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes - you have nicely touched on quite a few issues but have made a few assumptions based on 'non-mention'

For example, stating that John the Baptist never foretold anything in His life is not supported by Scripture and he clearly foretold that Jesus would take away the sins of the world. This indicates to me you have a beef about foretelling.

Your opening sentence would seem to qualify all believers as prophets i.e. anyone with God's Spirit. This does not seem to stack up with the scriptural record which denotes some only being prophets.

Acts 11:27
Now at this time some prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch.

Ephesians 4:11
And He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers,

Your emphasis on 'first occurrence' is a human construct that can result in an imbalance of understanding and in this case , combined with the emphasis of non mention, does just that.

You seem to allow for prophets disclosing future events, but somehow convey caution to the point of judgement against those who do - Yet John's prophesy in Revelation clearly did. So again your position is overcautious to the point of running the risk of being judgemental of those being raised up in this function.

So can I gently ask you to allow room for God to be raising up His prophetic voices in this age despite the circus we see in some branches of the modern church.
John did not foretell or see in the future. God told him Jesus was the Christ. That's all John needed to know to know that it would be the Christ who would take away the sins.

My opening statement was written about the Old Testament prophets and not the Christians.

There were no Ephesians 4:11 concerning those I was writing about. I do understand that I did not mention Old Testament Prophets. But that is where the Seer came from.

I don't get your point about what you are saying after you wrote Ephesians 4:11

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
John did not foretell or see in the future. God told him Jesus was the Christ. That's all John needed to know to know that it would be the Christ who would take away the sins.

My opening statement was written about the Old Testament prophets and not the Christians.

There were no Ephesians 4:11 concerning those I was writing about. I do understand that I did not mention Old Testament Prophets. But that is where the Seer came from.

I don't get your point about what you are saying after you wrote Ephesians 4:11

Things would be a lot more clear if you defined Prophet in a New Testament sense as requested.

What Scripture proves John the Baptist never foretold anything or is this just a theory...

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John did not foretell or see in the future.
John the Baptist was called a prophet by Christ himself. Prophets are defined by the fact that they reveal prophecy. You obviously have a problem with it, which explains why you keep splitting hairs.

9 What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10 This is he of whom it is written,

“‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face,
who will prepare your way before you.’
11 Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Matthew 11:9-11

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John the Baptist was called a prophet by Christ himself. Prophets are defined by the fact that they reveal prophecy. You obviously have a problem with it, which explains why you keep splitting hairs.

9 What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10 This is he of whom it is written,

“‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face,
who will prepare your way before you.’
11 Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Matthew 11:9-11
Name one thing John the baptize foretold.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Things would be a lot more clear if you defined Prophet in a New Testament sense as requested.

What Scripture proves John the Baptist never foretold anything or is this just a theory...
We are talking about Old Testament Prophets that were called Seers. Thus, I did not think I had to mention it. But I do see your point. May I have a verse that says John the baptize foretold?

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We are talking about Old Testament Prophets that were called Seers. Thus, I did not think I had to mention it. But I do see your point. May I have a verse that says John the baptize foretold?
Friend, you have insisted that JB never foretold and clearly have no Scriptural support for this assertion.

He was called a Prophet as @Wrangler pointed out.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Name one thing John the baptize foretold.
The coming of Christ. Preparing for this even was the singular event of his ministry.

And when I say the coming of Christ, I don't mean the generic way all ministers talk about. Rather, he was saying the arrival of the king was imminent.

According to no less an authority than Christ himself, JB was the greatest prophet. Yet, you are challenging whether he qualifies as a prophet at all based on your made up criteria.