Is anyone else a Seer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting point you brought up concerning “seers” of God using their gift to edify. It makes me think of Paul. I can’t find the passage right now but I will…where Paul tells them beforehand that the confidence he had in them before it was so…how he was made not ashamed of that confidence by their fulfillment of it. Or when Paul spoke of “when your obedience” is fulfilled. Not if …but when Paul seeing it as a “seer” beforehand of when their obedience be fulfilled in Christ . In this sense…we are all in Faith “seers” beforehand being told, if those things come to pass? All “seers” in Faith if beforehand, having Faith in passed from death unto Life. By nature ..I’m asking is Faith is the hope, the evidence of that which is not yet seen …make all Sons through Faith in Christ seers of that told of beforehand not yet seen? All of creation in birth pangs for the revealing of the Sons of God; told of beforehand.

For example now that I think about it …if there is an area of my life that I see as by Faith …a promise …beforehand …if that promise comes to pass… is that not seeing before it happens by Faith? Edification towards Hope.
Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.

1 Peter 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
^isn’t showing “beforehand” “the glory that should follow” … seeing beforehand that which follows after?
Prophets don't have a gift to see into the future. They just speak what they are told. Prophets are those who have God’s spirit, and therefore they are able to speak for God, because He makes Himself known to them. The world never looks upon prophets as being successful or popular among the public, and therefore they are never invited to compete with others to endeavor to become the most outstanding citizens of the community. They are usually reproached and hardly ever swim with the stream, the current of the times, and that is why their path is seldom smooth or easy.

The measure of a prophet’s success is the measure of faithfulness before God as God’s spokesperson, and never measured by the degree their testimony, witnessing, or speaking of God’s Word is received by others. Because they reverence and respect God’s Word, they do not shrink in the face of danger, nor do they fear people or seek the praise of others. But from deep within their hearts, they seek the praise of God and His blessing. The prophets of the Old Testament were able to speak for God to make known the coming of Jesus Christ (who would be the only begotten Son of God) through the written Word they received from God. To understand the biblical way the word “prophet” is used in the Scriptures, it's always best to look at the first occurrence of the word, which is in Genesis and is used by God to tell the king to leave the man’s wife alone. “Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet” (Genesis 20:7).

This first occurrence of the word “prophet” shows us that it was used in a different way from the way we use it today, which is mostly used in our current English to indicate when one is to foretell future events. But in the Bible, it's used in connection with Abraham, who not only had a very pretty wife, but also never foretold anything in his life. In Exodus the same God calls Aaron Moses’s prophet, which takes us a step further and leads us to the question of how one could be another man’s prophet? The answer is found in Exodus, where God, who is referring to the same subject, tells Moses that Aaron “shall be thy spokesman” (Exodus 4:16). Therefore, the essential interpretation of the word “prophet” is a spokesperson who speaks for God, either by way of exhortation, instruction, reproof, warning, correction, reprobation, or judgment. Foretelling was only a very small part of their duties.

John the Baptist was born with the spirit from God right from his mother’s womb, and that is why Jesus Christ said, “Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist” (Luke 7:28). John was known to preach in the wilderness, dress in camel hair, and eat locusts with wild honey for dinner. Perhaps John did not have a beautiful wife like Abraham, but he did have one thing that was the same as Abraham—he also never foretold anything in his life. John the Baptist was God’s spokesman who was equipped and sent forth by God to prepare the way for the Messiah for Israel. Prophets were essentially God’s spokespersons, and their sole mission was to speak only those words that were given to them to speak. They were totally meek and humble, as we see so many times from the obedience of such statements as, “The word of the Lord came unto Samuel, saying” or “And the Lord commanded Moses.”

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophets don't have a gift to see into the future. They just speak what they are told. Prophets are those who have God’s spirit, and therefore they are able to speak for God, because He makes Himself known to them. The world never looks upon prophets as being successful or popular among the public, and therefore they are never invited to compete with others to endeavor to become the most outstanding citizens of the community. They are usually reproached and hardly ever swim with the stream, the current of the times, and that is why their path is seldom smooth or easy.

The measure of a prophet’s success is the measure of faithfulness before God as God’s spokesperson, and never measured by the degree their testimony, witnessing, or speaking of God’s Word is received by others. Because they reverence and respect God’s Word, they do not shrink in the face of danger, nor do they fear people or seek the praise of others. But from deep within their hearts, they seek the praise of God and His blessing. The prophets of the Old Testament were able to speak for God to make known the coming of Jesus Christ (who would be the only begotten Son of God) through the written Word they received from God. To understand the biblical way the word “prophet” is used in the Scriptures, it's always best to look at the first occurrence of the word, which is in Genesis and is used by God to tell the king to leave the man’s wife alone. “Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet” (Genesis 20:7).

This first occurrence of the word “prophet” shows us that it was used in a different way from the way we use it today, which is mostly used in our current English to indicate when one is to foretell future events. But in the Bible, it's used in connection with Abraham, who not only had a very pretty wife, but also never foretold anything in his life. In Exodus the same God calls Aaron Moses’s prophet, which takes us a step further and leads us to the question of how one could be another man’s prophet? The answer is found in Exodus, where God, who is referring to the same subject, tells Moses that Aaron “shall be thy spokesman” (Exodus 4:16). Therefore, the essential interpretation of the word “prophet” is a spokesperson who speaks for God, either by way of exhortation, instruction, reproof, warning, correction, reprobation, or judgment. Foretelling was only a very small part of their duties.

John the Baptist was born with the spirit from God right from his mother’s womb, and that is why Jesus Christ said, “Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist” (Luke 7:28). John was known to preach in the wilderness, dress in camel hair, and eat locusts with wild honey for dinner. Perhaps John did not have a beautiful wife like Abraham, but he did have one thing that was the same as Abraham—he also never foretold anything in his life. John the Baptist was God’s spokesman who was equipped and sent forth by God to prepare the way for the Messiah for Israel. Prophets were essentially God’s spokespersons, and their sole mission was to speak only those words that were given to them to speak. They were totally meek and humble, as we see so many times from the obedience of such statements as, “The word of the Lord came unto Samuel, saying” or “And the Lord commanded Moses.”
Deuteronomy 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.
Well we see what the prophets spoke of Christ suffering was true. It come to pass.

I’m not understanding what you are saying about a prophet can’t see the future? When it says “when a prophet speaks I. The name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken…”

New Testament when it says when the Holy Spirit did show men of old …things to come to pass …before they happened? This is not seeing? a true prophet seeing into the future, when it’s something seen or foretold “beforehand” …am I misunderstanding you?

Daniel 8:22-27 comes to mind… Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power. [23] And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. [24] And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people. [25] And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand. [26] And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut you up the vision; for it shall be for many days. [27] And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.

Something Daniel saw …beforehand…out into the future…really affected him. Prophets can’t see into the future? Daniel fainted and was sick from what he saw…

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps John did not have a beautiful wife like Abraham, but he did have one thing that was the same as Abraham—he also never foretold anything in his life. John the Baptist was God’s spokesman who was equipped and sent forth by God to prepare the way for the Messiah for Israel. Prophets were essentially God’s spokespersons, and their sole mission was to speak only those words that were given to them to speak. They were totally meek and humble, as we see so many times from the obedience of such statements as, “The word of the Lord came unto Samuel, saying” or “And the Lord commanded Moses.”
I really like your post. You shared a lot of good points. You said though that John the Baptist never foretold of anything in his life’s? are you sure? …Behold, the Lamb of God, which takes away the sins of the world. two disciples heard him speak and followed after Jesus.

….you may say that is not foretelling. John the Baptist spoke it by the river bank, yes what the God had given him to say… Behold the Lamb of God …and it came to pass.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really like your post. You shared a lot of good points. You said though that John the Baptist never foretold of anything in his life’s? are you sure? …Behold, the Lamb of God, which takes away the sins of the world. two disciples heard him speak and followed after Jesus.

….you may say that is not foretelling. John the Baptist spoke it by the river bank, yes what the God had given him to say… Behold the Lamb of God …and it came to pass.
John the Baptist knew who Jesus was. God told him that. That's all John needed to know to know that Jesus was the Christ and it would be the Christ who would take the sins away.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deuteronomy 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.
Well we see what the prophets spoke of Christ suffering was true. It come to pass.

I’m not understanding what you are saying about a prophet can’t see the future? When it says “when a prophet speaks I. The name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken…”

New Testament when it says when the Holy Spirit did show men of old …things to come to pass …before they happened? This is not seeing? a true prophet seeing into the future, when it’s something seen or foretold “beforehand” …am I misunderstanding you?

Daniel 8:22-27 comes to mind… Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power. [23] And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. [24] And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people. [25] And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand. [26] And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut you up the vision; for it shall be for many days. [27] And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.

Something Daniel saw …beforehand…out into the future…really affected him. Prophets can’t see into the future? Daniel fainted and was sick from what he saw…
Prophets don't see into the future. God tells them what is going to happen based on how God sees stuff and what He plans on doing.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophets don't see into the future. God tells them what is going to happen based on how God sees stuff and what He plans on doing.
I get God shows them or tells them the future …as you said they —the prophets —are God’s spokesperson. But still they were shown what was to come. But now God has spoken to us through His Son.

I’m confused by how you say they couldn’t see the future when God showed them yes, but seeing it beforehand is still seeing it. Yes, by God revealing it to them. But not to diminish what was seen and told would come to pass. It seemed significant to God were He told them several times He would tell them beforehand so when those things come to pass they would know He is God and there is no other.

This all started because I was considering what is a seer ? To me it’s someone that can see something before it comes to pass. Anyone who is of Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Is a seer of things not (yet) seen.

If we say we have passed from death into life. We have passed from darkness into Life. We speak something that hasn’t come to pass, but we prophecy “the Grave is overcome.” “And this saying shall come to pass death is swallowed up in Victory.”

1 Corinthians 15:51-58 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, [52] In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. [53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. [54] So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. [55] O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? [56] The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. [57] But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. [58] Therefore, my beloved brethren, be you stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as you know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

John had the 'gift' of seeing folks come to repentance.

John was told in advance how to recognise the Messiah - the only one upon whom the Spirit would come upon and remain.

Peter correctly predicted the death of Sapphira.

However your point is well made that the main thrust of the Prophets function is to declare what the Spirit is saying.

However to claim prophets never speak accurately about future events is not biblical.

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John had the 'gift' of seeing folks come to repentance.

John was told in advance how to recognise the Messiah - the only one upon whom the Spirit would come upon and remain.

Peter correctly predicted the death of Sapphira.

However your point is well made that the main thrust of the Prophets function is to declare what the Spirit is saying.

However to claim prophets never speak accurately about future events is not biblical.
I will use me as an example and hope it helps. The Lord once showed me an office I had never seen nor even knew where it was. He showed me the inside of it and that a man would be sitting at a desk with another man standing in the inside of the door. This was not seeing into the future. It was the Lord showing me the office. The next day I walked in that office and saw that real office for the first time with a man sitting at the desk and the other man standing in the inside of the door. Again, This was not seeing in the future. It was the Lord showing me the office which He did the night before I walked into it.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get God shows them or tells them the future …as you said they —the prophets —are God’s spokesperson. But still they were shown what was to come. But now God has spoken to us through His Son.

I’m confused by how you say they couldn’t see the future when God showed them yes, but seeing it beforehand is still seeing it. Yes, by God revealing it to them. But not to diminish what was seen and told would come to pass. It seemed significant to God were He told them several times He would tell them beforehand so when those things come to pass they would know He is God and there is no other.

This all started because I was considering what is a seer ? To me it’s someone that can see something before it comes to pass. Anyone who is of Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Is a seer of things not (yet) seen.

If we say we have passed from death into life. We have passed from darkness into Life. We speak something that hasn’t come to pass, but we prophecy “the Grave is overcome.” “And this saying shall come to pass death is swallowed up in Victory.”

1 Corinthians 15:51-58 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, [52] In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. [53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. [54] So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. [55] O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? [56] The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. [57] But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. [58] Therefore, my beloved brethren, be you stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as you know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
If you work for me and I tell you on Friday that you will be in my office Monday morning. That does not mean you saw into the future.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s more than posting the work schedule a week in advance.
I will use me as an example and hope it helps. The Lord once showed me an office I had never seen nor even knew where it was. He showed me the inside of it and that a man would be sitting at a desk with another man standing in the inside of the door. This was not seeing into the future. It was the Lord showing me the office. The next day I walked in that office and saw that real office for the first time with a man sitting at the desk and the other man standing in the inside of the door. Again, This was not seeing in the future. It was the Lord showing me the office which He did the night before I walked into it.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes I relate to that experience.

However there are plenty of biblical examples of the prophet accurately predicting events of the future.

The Book of Revelation is a prime example and I can list many more...

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok. It does help. Why did He show you the office? Just curious if you know?

It’s not something I’d stand firm on. I think we just see it differently. To me…if God showed me an office and a man sitting at the desk and a man in the door…and the next day it was exactly as he had shown. I would say that is seeing (being shown) before something happens. Call it whatever you choose. Seeing (shown) into the future, in this case a day in advance. Shown beforehand. Looking ahead.

Does it sound like I believe in going to see some fortune teller or palm reader to tell me my future? I don’t believe in those things. For the record that is not what I’m talking about. But it doesn’t matter. I do like your points about prophets. I don’t agree with all of them. But some I have never considered and are interesting.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok. It does help. Why did He show you the office? Just curious if you know?

It’s not something I’d stand firm on. I think we just see it differently. To me…if God showed me an office and a man sitting at the desk and a man in the door…and the next day it was exactly as he had shown. I would say that is seeing (being shown) before something happens. Call it whatever you choose. Seeing (shown) into the future, in this case a day in advance. Shown beforehand. Looking ahead.

Does it sound like I believe in going to see some fortune teller or palm reader to tell me my future? I don’t believe in those things. For the record that is not what I’m talking about. But it doesn’t matter. I do like your points about prophets. I don’t agree with all of them. But some I have never considered and are interesting.
I was going to be asked to leave that group and the Lord was helping me to stay. When I walked in the room and saw what looked like what I saw the night before was when I knew to speak slowly because the Lord was with me.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I relate to that experience.

However there are plenty of biblical examples of the prophet accurately predicting events of the future.

The Book of Revelation is a prime example and I can list many more...
They are being told what is going to happen. They are not seeing the future.