Why Is Faith Counted As Righteousness (Ro 4:5)?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

Read the OP before responding to it.

Proverbs 18
13If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame

Why Is Faith Counted As Righteousness (Ro 4:5)?​

Paul says in (Heb.11: (v.1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (v.17) By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that received the promises offered up his only begotten son. Now here is the father of the faithful, and how did he show God the he had faith in him? By his works!

Let's go to Romans 4: 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. This is whole chapter is pretty much about Abraham and how did the will of God with out hesitation. Because it's written in Matthew 4: 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Now thats the righteousness, to be a doer of the word of God and not just a hearer. (James 1: 21,22)

Now here is the part when I'm so call off topic. Because these example in the Bible is to point to one direction, and that's the Kingdom of God. For faith to be counted as righteousness you have to have works. James says in 2: (v.17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. The bible has been telling you all alone that you must have fruits to prove your faith. (v.18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. True faith goes hand in hand with good works. (v.20) But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Did you know that? How can a person, after reading this verse ever say again that we need not work? You can have all the faith you want, but if you have no works to go along with that faith, that faith is in vain, that faith is dead. (v.21) Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (v.23) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD AND IT WAS IMPUTED UNTO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS: and he was called the friend of God.

So we living in the times where we have the word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, and all through the Bible the lord is saying the same thing, and that's keep the Commandments, statues and Judgement. Paul says in Romans 8: 1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 4 that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

This is how we must show God our righteousness in him, by walking in the spirit and his laws.
Paul says in Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Let's go back to Romans 8: 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

So if you have faith in God you will be a doer of his word, which includes his laws (Commandments), Statues, and Judges, and it will be counted as righteousness. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. (Ecclesiastes 12: 13, 14).

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why Is Faith Counted As Righteousness (Ro 4:5)?​

Paul says in (Heb.11: (v.1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (v.17) By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that received the promises offered up his only begotten son. Now here is the father of the faithful, and how did he show God the he had faith in him? By his works!

Let's go to Romans 4: 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. This is whole chapter is pretty much about Abraham and how did the will of God with out hesitation. Because it's written in Matthew 4: 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Now thats the righteousness, to be a doer of the word of God and not just a hearer. (James 1: 21,22)

Now here is the part when I'm so call off topic. Because these example in the Bible is to point to one direction, and that's the Kingdom of God. For faith to be counted as righteousness you have to have works. James says in 2: (v.17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. The bible has been telling you all alone that you must have fruits to prove your faith. (v.18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. True faith goes hand in hand with good works. (v.20) But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Did you know that? How can a person, after reading this verse ever say again that we need not work? You can have all the faith you want, but if you have no works to go along with that faith, that faith is in vain, that faith is dead. (v.21) Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (v.23) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD AND IT WAS IMPUTED UNTO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS: and he was called the friend of God.

So we living in the times where we have the word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, and all through the Bible the lord is saying the same thing, and that's keep the Commandments, statues and Judgement. Paul says in Romans 8: 1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 4 that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

This is how we must show God our righteousness in him, by walking in the spirit and his laws.
Paul says in Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Let's go back to Romans 8: 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

So if you have faith in God you will be a doer of his word, which includes his laws (Commandments), Statues, and Judges, and it will be counted as righteousness. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. (Ecclesiastes 12: 13, 14).

It sounds like you're trying to dispute something I never argued.

Where did I say "faith alone"? I didn't.

I merely stated what Paul stated, "faith is counted as righteousness", and explored WHY that would be.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since unrighteousness is a suppression of the truth about God (Ro 1:18,19), the flip side of the same coin would be that righteousness is a revelation of the truth about God : when God speaks about Himself, and we adhere to the Word God spoke (ie, God's Gospel about His Son), we are saying, "God is true", thus that counts as righteousness.

Romans 1
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth [m]in unrighteousness, 19because that which is known about God is evident [n]within them; for God made it evident to them.

John 3
33Whoever receives His testimony sets his seal to this, that "God is true".

1 John 5
10... whoever does not believe God has made Him out to be a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given about His Son.
I would say it makes the Lord's job much easier when we trust him.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like you're trying to dispute something I never argued.

Where did I say "faith alone"? I didn't.

I merely stated what Paul stated, "faith is counted as righteousness", and explored WHY that would be.
What you fail to realize is, that it is more to just picking a verse out of chapter. I'm not disputing anything, but the word of God connects like a puzzle, it all fits together, and that's how you learn. It's seem like you looking for a problem then understanding. It's a great thing to have faith, but you have to works to produce righteousness. It all works to together, that's why Paul use Abraham in that chapter as an example of faith and righteousness. Although Paul was also talking about the promises God made with Abraham through his faith and righteousness, but if Jesus didn't come down and die and be raise, all that was in vain.

What I showed according to your topic, is what faith and righteousness is, using Abraham as an example of faith and works, and how to apply all that to our walk in this word of God. That's what the word of God does.

Let's take a look at 1 Peter 4: 8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. 9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging. 10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you fail to realize is, that it is more to just picking a verse out of chapter. I'm not disputing anything, but the word of God connects like a puzzle, it all fits together, and that's how you learn. It's seem like you looking for a problem then understanding. It's a great thing to have faith, but you have to works to produce righteousness. It all works to together, that's why Paul use Abraham in that chapter as an example of faith and righteousness. Although Paul was also talking about the promises God made with Abraham through his faith and righteousness, but if Jesus didn't come down and die and be raise, all that was in vain.

What I showed according to your topic, is what faith and righteousness is, using Abraham as an example of faith and works, and how to apply all that to our walk in this word of God. That's what the word of God does.

Let's take a look at 1 Peter 4: 8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. 9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging. 10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
You're off topic.