Why Is Faith Counted As Righteousness (Ro 4:5)?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While the Greek word "koinos" and "akathartos" both refer to a type of impurity, they have distinct meanings and Bible never uses them interchangeably, so it is equivocation to translate them both into English as "unclean".
Peter was not to call the non-kosher animals he saw "common".

Acts 10:15 V-PMA-2S
GRK: σὺ μὴ κοίνου
NAS: no [longer] consider unholy.
KJV: not thou common.
INT: you not call unholy

Paul uses the same word in Romans 14, so we can know this can refer to the same type of non-kosher foods (actually, each person has their own list of "kosher" foods, so to speak, because each person has things they believe are acceptable and unacceptable).

Romans 14:14 Adj-NNS
GRK: ὅτι οὐδὲν κοινὸν δι' ἑαυτοῦ
NAS: that nothing is unclean in itself;
KJV: [there is] nothing unclean of
INT: that nothing [is] unclean of itself

God had told Noah, before, that all animals were to become food for him, and that, therefore, the fear of man would fall on the animals. The Jews agree that they became food for him, and that the dietary laws only applied to Jews. God never punished a nation for eating "unclean" animals. Why would God have given Noah all the animals as food if it were inherently sinful? Did command them to sin? Why hasn't God judged a nation for eating non-kosher foods if it was inherently sinful to eat those foods?

Conclusion : Again, when God lives His righteousness in us, the righteous requirement of the Law is fulfilled, but that does not mean we walk in every aspect of it, and it does mean that we do not even need to have or know the Law to be deemed "doers of the Law".

"Love is the fulfillment of the Law, because love does no harm to one's neighbor." (Ro 13:8-10).
And God teaches us about love, so that we may fulfill the Law.
1 Th 4:9you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another...
Jeremiah 31:33“But this is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after those days, declares the LORD.
I will put My law in their minds
and inscribe it on their hearts.
And I will be their God,
and they will be My people.
34No longer will each man teach his neighbor or his brother,
saying, ‘Know the LORD,’
because they will all know Me,
from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD.
For I will forgive their iniquities
and will remember their sins no more.”h

And, no, Christ NEVER submitted to the ignorance of the false representatives of God who caused His Name to be blasphemed among the nations--men who are "displeasing to God and hostile to all men". How on earth are men who are "displeasing to God" going to instruct the Lord Jesus?

No, He rejected their fake worship of God, their rules--if He had obeyed their rules, which He called "breaking God's Law", then He would've been lawless! You want to talk about someone being a false Messiah for setting the Law aside? You're making Jesus a false Messiah!

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To say that God is righteous means that He is a doer of righteous works
God's "righteousness" is that He forgives our sins, glorifying Christ, His Word.

1 John 1
9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

It is a righteous thing God does--God does the right thing--when He forgives us.

After that, we also know God works in us to will and do (Php 2:12,13), as He promised (Jer 31:31-34; Ez 36:27)--that is why the Gentile believers, who neither possess (Ro 2:14,15) nor know (Ro 7:1) the Law, are able to keep His δικαιώμασίν (Ez 36:27; Ro 2:26), NOT because "God's righteousness is revealed through the Law", but because "God's righteousness is revealed APART FROM THE LAW" "from faith to faith" (Ro 1:17), so that the rule is "each man must be fully convinced in his own mind" and "whatever does not proceed from faith is sin" (Ro 14:23).

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Since unrighteousness is a suppression of the truth about God

Unrighteousness is rebellion against the Righteousness and word of God.

Righteousness is God's perfect Holiness, and this is Gifted to "all who call on the name of Jesus".. by "Faith".... as "The Gift of Righteousness"..

This is why all sinners are found still in their unrighteousness,...... as 'You are of YOUR FATHER the DEVIL""...

...... and all the Born again are ALL found as ... "Made Righteous"., and God is become their "Heavenly Father".

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unrighteousness is rebellion against the Righteousness and word of God.

Righteousness is God's perfect Holiness, and this is Gifted to "all who call on the name of Jesus".. by "Faith".... as "The Gift of Righteousness"..

This is why all sinners are found still in unrighteousness,......

...... and all the Born again are found as ... "Made Righteous".
This is not mutually exclusive with what was stated.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Reader..

Why Did God send..... "The Gift of Righteousness" through the Cross of Christ, as : = "Jesus came to save sinners"?

Its because "none are righteous, no not one", and Holy Righteous God cannot have fellowship with SIN and UnRighteousness"..

So, God sent Jesus to the Cross......as "God hath made JESUS to be sin for us".. and that deals with all your sin.....

So, God offers "The Gift of Righteousness" to "all who will Believe", and God accepts our FAITH in CHRIST to deliver this "GIFT of Righteousness", to every BELIEVER.

And once you have received this "Gift of SALVATiON"", that now recreates you as born again Spiritually, into a "NEW CREATION IN Christ'"...... then you have now become "ONE with God".. forever.

This is to become a "SON/Daughter" of God.... born.........again.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reader..

Why Did God send..... "The Gift of Righteousness" through the Cross of Christ, as : = "Jesus came to save sinners"?

Its because "none are righteous, no not one", and Holy Righteous God cannot have fellowship with SIN and UnRighteousness"..

So, God sent Jesus to the Cross......as "God hath made JESUS to be sin for us".. and that deals with all your sin.....

So, God offers "The Gift of Righteousness" to "all who will Believe", and God accepts our FAITH in CHRIST to deliver this "GIFT of Righteousness", to every BELIEVER.

And once you have received this "Gift of SALVATiON"", that now recreates you as born again Spiritually, into a "NEW CREATION IN Christ'"...... then you have now become "ONE with God".. forever.

This is to become a "SON/Daughter" of God.... born.........again.
You just rattle off the typical fare, and don't even bother with the actual material of the OP.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Another understanding regarding why "faith is counted" by God...

Is because a sinner has nothing to offer God, that God can accept to accept them, thereby.

"ALL have SINNED"...

So////What can a sinner, offer Righteous Holy God that God could accept so that God could accept you?

A.) nothing.

So, God offers what He can accept, that He provided, as HIS Acceptance of the Sinner.

A.) The Cross of Christ

John 14:6.. Jesus said...>"No person comes to the Father but by ME"..

"ME". .= The Cross of Christ

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another understanding regarding why "faith is counted" by God...

Is because a sinner has nothing to offer God, that God can accept to accept them, thereby.

"ALL have SINNED"...

So////What can a sinner, offer Righteous Holy God that God could accept so that God could accept you?

A.) nothing.

So, God offers what He can accept, that He provided, as HIS Acceptance of the Sinner.

A.) The Cross of Christ

John 14:6.. Jesus said...>"No person comes to the Father but by ME"..

"ME". .= The Cross of Christ
No, actually, none of this helps explain why faith is righteousness.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Jesus said that "no person comes to the Father, but by ME".

Now, there are many heresies that teach otherwise., and teach that you can come to God by law keeping or commandment keeping , or by water baptism, or by trying to be some idealized fake imitation of Jesus's behavior.

So, to get CLEAR of all that ......, just realize one TRUTH, reader.

If it didnt die on the Cross for your sin, then it can't be God's Salvation as nothing else is qualified.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said that "no person comes to the Father, but by ME".

Now, there are many heresies that teach otherwise., and teach that you can come to God by law keeping or commandment keeping , or by water baptism, or by trying to be some idealized fake imitation of Jesus's behavior.

So, to get CLEAR of all that, just realize one thing, reader.

If it didnt die on the Cross for your sin, then it can't be God's Salvation as nothing else is qualified.
Quit scrawling your empty graffiti on the thread. It's rude. Go dump your brains out on your own threads. This thread has an OP. Engage the OP or scram.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Here is the patience of the saints; here are they that keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12). A man asked Jesus this very question, "...What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?", and Jesus replied, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Matthew 19:16-19).
The commandments of God are not hard to keep (I John 5:3) and furthermore, they teach us love in the highest degree. If you love Jesus you will keep his commandments (St. John 14:15). You will not displease the Lord by: Worshipping other gods, having graven images, taking his name in vain, breaking his Sabbath day (which is Saturday not Sunday), or dishonoring your parents. On the other hand, if you love your neighbor as yourself you will not kill him, commit adultery with his spouse, steal from him, falsely accuse him, or covet anything of his.

This is true love, and if obeyed how much better would our world be? This is why Jesus said that the two greatest commandments are loving the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind; and loving your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:35-40). These two commandments are the foundation of the entire law. Many reject the law, but it is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good (Romans 7:12) even today.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Here is the patience of the saints; here are they that keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12). A man asked Jesus this very question, "...What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?", and Jesus replied, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Matthew 19:16-19).
The commandments of God are not hard to keep (I John 5:3) and furthermore, they teach us love in the highest degree. If you love Jesus you will keep his commandments (St. John 14:15). You will not displease the Lord by: Worshipping other gods, having graven images, taking his name in vain, breaking his Sabbath day (which is Saturday not Sunday), or dishonoring your parents. On the other hand, if you love your neighbor as yourself you will not kill him, commit adultery with his spouse, steal from him, falsely accuse him, or covet anything of his.

This is true love, and if obeyed how much better would our world be? This is why Jesus said that the two greatest commandments are loving the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind; and loving your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:35-40). These two commandments are the foundation of the entire law. Many reject the law, but it is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good (Romans 7:12) even today.
While I agree with these things, it is conspicuously not a response to the OP. It is off topic.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will not displease the Lord by: ...breaking his Sabbath day (which is Saturday not Sunday),
This is false.
1. We are not under Law.
2. Paul was worried about the Galatians when they were observing days (Gal 4:10).
3. Colossians 2 says 7th Day Sabbath was a shadow of things to come, so don't let anyone judge us concerning observing it.
4. The 7th Day Sabbath was a commemoration of God's rest from creating, thus, since we are a new creation, there must be a new rest, so why would we be held to the commemoration of resting from creating the Old creation?

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I agree with these things, it is conspicuously not a response to the OP. It is off topic.
Well, when we talking about righteousness we always route back to the commandments of God. Paul says in Romans 8: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, when we talking about righteousness we always route back to the commandments of God. Paul says in Romans 8: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
No.

Read the OP before responding to it.

Proverbs 18
13If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is false.
1. We are not under Law.
2. Paul was worried about the Galatians when they were observing days (Gal 4:10).
3. Colossians 2 says 7th Day Sabbath was a shadow of things to come, so don't let anyone judge us concerning observing it.
4. The 7th Day Sabbath was a commemoration of God's rest from creating, thus, since we are a new creation, there must be a new rest, so why would we be held to the commemoration of resting from creating the Old creation?

In Leviticus, 23rd Chapter the sabbath day and the High Holy Days which begin I believe on the new moon. Are the feast of the Lord's. These days are to be observe in their season. In Colossians 2:16-17, "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days. Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. These feast days are the plans of God, they represent the future, with example from the past. All Holy Days are not to eat or drink, such as the atonement, but still to be observe. So this is actually what a person would say to someone who do not keep these feast day of the Lord, if they were judging them on those High and Holy Sabbath days, they were keeping. They would quoted Colossians 2: 16-17. So if you keep the first day of the week, Sunday, then it makes no sense to use this verse. You cannot worship other days that’s not written in the Bible to do, and then use the Bible to justify it. So if you keep another day thats not written in the Bible, then you are doing something on your own, thus it would really be contradictorily.

Paul says in Galatian 4: 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. 8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.

Right like Christmas, didn't Paul say 1 Corinthians 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

So Paul saying you can observe things that not written in the Bible to do, days, and months, and times, and years. Christmas, halloween, Easter pagan, Sunday, etc. but have a problem with the things that is written in the Bible to do. You have really read the book.

Paul and the apostles kept these day and taught the Gentile as well. Let's take at one in Acts 18: 18 And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow. 19 And he came to Ephesus, and left them there: but he himself entered into the synagogue, and reasoned with the Jews. 20 When they desired him to tarry longer time with them, he consented not; 21 But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why Is Faith Counted As Righteousness (Ro 4:5)?​

Faith is trust. It trusts the truth about God....and what is the truth of God?
It is that God saves to the uttermost, not willing that any perish.

Ultimately it is revealed in Jesus....and what is that?....a Lamb?
God is unselfish and non violent contrary to the understanding most inhabitants of Earth insist on ie, their gods, their theologies, their behaviour.......these reflect the god's worshiped.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Leviticus, 23rd Chapter the sabbath day and the High Holy Days which begin I believe on the new moon. Are the feast of the Lord's. These days are to be observe in their season. In Colossians 2:16-17, "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days. Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. These feast days are the plans of God, they represent the future, with example from the past. All Holy Days are not to eat or drink, such as the atonement, but still to be observe. So this is actually what a person would say to someone who do not keep these feast day of the Lord, if they were judging them on those High and Holy Sabbath days, they were keeping. They would quoted Colossians 2: 16-17. So if you keep the first day of the week, Sunday, then it makes no sense to use this verse. You cannot worship other days that’s not written in the Bible to do, and then use the Bible to justify it. So if you keep another day thats not written in the Bible, then you are doing something on your own, thus it would really be contradictorily.
Nowhere in the NT are we told to observe 7th Day Sabbath, but Paul seemingly permits it for Jewish Christians who came to Christ with those convictions, while also seemingly stating those without those convictions, probably Gentile Christians, may freely not observe (Ro 14)

This is the "freedom" the false brothers came in to spy out.
Paul says in Galatian 4: 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. 8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.

Right like Christmas, didn't Paul say 1 Corinthians 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
Irrelevant.
9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

So Paul saying you can observe things that not written in the Bible to do, days, and months, and times, and years. Christmas, halloween, Easter pagan, Sunday, etc. but have a problem with the things that is written in the Bible to do. You have really read the book.
No, the issue was with being under the law of Moses (Gal 4:21-31).
Paul and the apostles kept these day and taught the Gentile as well. Let's take at one in Acts 18: 18 And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow. 19 And he came to Ephesus, and left them there: but he himself entered into the synagogue, and reasoned with the Jews. 20 When they desired him to tarry longer time with them, he consented not; 21 But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus.
1. No, the Apostles did not teach the Gentiles to keep those days, or else they would've gone with him.
2a. Yep, Paul kept it, because, as he said, "though i myself am not under law, to those under the Law, I become as one under law."
2b. Paul had a vow, but Christ said taking vows, as Torah commanded, was "of the evil one" (Mt 5), so, to me, this can only be explained by Paul becoming as those under the Law for the sake of those who are under the Law.

Last edited: