The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good, you got my point.
Now, stop being a child and acknowledge that I provided plenty of sensible explanation in my posts.
Here we go again. You can't demand that your arguments be acknowledged as sensible by others without looking kinda nutty/narcissistic, FB. I'm sure that's not your intention. :)

Reactions: Jim B

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, good grief, grow up, lol.

Are you referring to the sabbath day, or the rest the author of Hebrews is referring to?
All you have to do is follow along with our conversation, Ferris. It's not that hard.

The previous posts are right there for you to access at will.

I know your hands are very full with all the menagerie of posts you have to keep track of, but I'm not here to give you constant reminders of 'where we're at' in the conversation. That's on you.

You make a claim, I ask you to clarify that claim and you ask me 'What claim?'

Keep up.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here we go again. You can't demand that your arguments be acknowledged as sensible by others without looking kinda nutty/narcissistic, FB. I'm sure that's not your intention. :)
No, it has nothing to do with that, lol.
Even you have to acknowledge that she was asking the proverbial trick question that can't be answered either 'yes' or 'no'. 'Yes' would mean I can see there's no sense in my post, and 'no' would mean I can't see there's no sense in my post. Very juvenile. That's the kind of things people do when they get cornered and have no theological way out of their own mess.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No respected Christian scholar believes today that Colossians 2 refers to the 4th commandment, not even Catholic, I would think. And why would they? Such a position weakens the basis for the Sunday festival since the Catholic church holds that the observance of "the venerable day of the Sun" is in obedience to the Sabbath commandment, do they not?
Well, since Colossians 2 LITERALLY says do not let anyone condemn you in matters of.... sabbaths then I would say that it does refer to the 4th commandment which talks of the sabbath.

No, The Church does not hold to "the observance of the venerable day of the Sun"! It holds to the venerable day of the Son.

Keeping it real...Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I forgot that Catholics don't hold that to be the Word of God.

The Bible states that Jesus is the Truth.
John 14:6

And also the Word.
John 1:1

But Catholics believe it is the Pope, correct?
No, you PROTESTants believe it is the Pope.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good, you got my point.
Now, stop being a child and acknowledge that I provided plenty of sensible explanation in my posts.
No, I don't get your point AND child, you didn't answer my question!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All you have to do is follow along with our conversation, Ferris. It's not that hard.

The previous posts are right there for you to access at will.

I know your hands are very full with all the menagerie of posts you have to keep track of, but I'm not here to give you constant reminders of 'where we're at' in the conversation. That's on you.

You make a claim, I ask you to clarify that claim and you ask me 'What claim?'

Keep up.
Oh, good grief, stop being a big baby.
The 7th day sabbath is not a rest from sin.
The rest that Joshua did not give the Israelites is.
Apply the answer that applies to which one you were actually asking about.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You rolled your eyes at me! :p:p:p

When I learned the ten commandments as a child in Sunday School, they were shortened so as to make them easier for little ones to learn. I distinctly remember memorizing "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." The reason for rembering to keep the Sabbath, though certainly important enough to be stipulated within the body of the commandment, is secondary to the act required to obey it. This progression of ideas is quite naturally expressed, with a period punctuation actually provided after the initial clause, in nearly every English translation. In my mind, there can be no doubt that, at the very least, when given at Sinai, the part that was most important was the breaking of which would get a body killed--the keeping of the day. :)

I rolled my eyes at myself for saying "So there!" :oops:

So you learned them in Sunday School and they were shortened. I memorized them as a small child in Sabbath school and it was verbatim and the long version. I can still recite them. So I knew what you said was wrong. Now I understand why the Creator is not in your memory (because the short version only says the day).

I also had to memorize the books of the Bible in order. What a great foundation! I don't need a Bible with tabs of cut outs on the side to find where books are. When I was an adolescent in Sabbath School, we played a game of who could find the Bible verse first and stand and read it. Those were some great memories. I hate passing Sunday school classrooms were I see the children playing, or coloring and learning absolutely nothing but passing time.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was an accident--my fault. :D

I don't think so, I think I had already looked at the original from my email, and then the next time I clicked on the actual alert on the site it popped up in a different place, and your post to Ferris just happened to be at that location, and I just read it without checking who it was to. It actually sounded like something you would say to me! Good to know you are so friendly with everyone. Others could learn how to behave from you, brother.

Reactions: BarneyFife

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm so you thought somebody quoted YOU, but they were really quoting ... one of the OTHER You's!:D

LOL No, I didn't look. I saw Barn's avatar and read his post. I didn't even look at what he was responding to.

If it's Biblical, deny, distract, disinform and belittle it.

If it's Biblical, I quote it. :D

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no difference between Jews and gentiles in the body of Christ.
Hmmmm....The Apostles, at the Council of Jerusalem, disagreed with you that there is no difference. The council decided that Gentile converts to Christianity were not obligated to keep most of the fasts, and other specific rituals, including the rules concerning circumcision of males. Sooooo there is a difference....;)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BOO!
Now it's denial time.
Time to grow up.
Lol...and YOU speak of ME being a child. You hypocrites crack me up.

I will acknowledge that you did respond to my question with what you believe was a YES or NO answer. You didn't say YES or NO but you did answer...in your own way.

Let's move on...

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm....The Apostles, at the Council of Jerusalem, disagreed with you that there is no difference. The council decided that Gentile converts to Christianity were not obligated to keep most of the fasts, and other specific rituals, including the rules concerning circumcision of males. Sooooo there is a difference....;)

I think the Jewish Christians and even the apostles were still stuck in the law and it took time to actually UNDERSTAND what the New Covenant was all about. I like to check how soon or late something was written. Paul, teaching the truth on the New Covenant was still living in a culture that kept the old law, so enforced the old law onto women who were basically uneducated. Look at the contradiction when it comes to women in the same chapter:

1 Corinthians 7:
15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment

The brother can remarry; the wife cannot.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there is no rest from sin, Ferris. That's what so many of you don't get.

Even with the Holy Spirit guiding, teaching and empowering us not to sin, we are all still capable of sinning.
Actually, the only thing we have no rest from is temptation. We are capable of sinning, no doubt. Though, a person who keeps himself perfectly consecrated at all times can completely overcome all sin. The Bible says there is no temptation that is without means of escape. I believe what the Bible says, as I'm sure you do. Enoch apparently did it. :)

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The council decided that Gentile converts to Christianity were not obligated to keep most of the fasts, and other specific rituals, including the rules concerning circumcision of males.
Nobody, Jew or gentile, has to. That's why they were able to make the decision that they did.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody, Jew or gentile, has to. That's why they were able to make the decision that they did.
hmmmm....so the Jews don't have to keep their rituals...even though they do. Is that what you are saying?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the Jewish Christians and even the apostles were still stuck in the law and it took time to actually UNDERSTAND what the New Covenant was all about. I like to check how soon or late something was written. Paul, teaching the truth on the New Covenant was still living in a culture that kept the old law, so enforced the old law onto women who were basically uneducated. Look at the contradiction when it comes to women in the same chapter:

1 Corinthians 7:
15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment

The brother can remarry; the wife cannot.

Hello,

Help me out here. You said that the brother can remarry; the wife cannot. But the passage you provided says that she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes.

Mary

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmmmm....so the Jews don't have to keep their rituals...even though they do. Is that what you are saying?
That is exactly what I'm saying. ANYBODY, Jew or gentile, can keep them if they want. Just not for the purpose of becoming righteous in God's sight. That is what is forbidden.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly what I'm saying. ANYBODY, Jew or gentile, can keep them if they want. Just not for the purpose of becoming righteous in God's sight. That is what is forbidden.
I guess that kind of makes sense and very insightful. If the Jews would just become Christians they wouldn't have to keep their Jewish traditions. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.