The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edit: This is strange. I got an alert that you quoted me and it came to this post of yours. I didn't notice that you were actually quoting Ferris. Strange.o_O:eek:
:D:):cool:

Hmmm so you thought somebody quoted YOU, but they were really quoting ... one of the OTHER You's!:D

I see how that could be very confusing. It's gotta be tough for you guys to keep up with all the different User Names at once. :rolleyes:

At least it's very easy for you to keep your message the same across the board though. If it's Biblical, deny, distract, disinform and belittle it.

Cheers.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and I also see it in scripture as a memorial of God's rest from sin established in the death of Christ Jesus from the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8). And a shadow of our eternal rest from our enemy in the coming age (Hebrews 4:8-11).
But there is no rest from sin, Ferris. That's what so many of you don't get.

Even with the Holy Spirit guiding, teaching and empowering us not to sin, we are all still capable of sinning.

And (round and round we go) if we are still capable of sinning, then the 10 Commandments are still active and valid.
1 John 3:4

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey GEN2REV.....You are right. It was a waste of my time. I assumed that you knew your Christian history and that the NT Christians practiced both the sabbath for the Lords Day and Sunday. So, to clarify, the NT Christians practiced BOTH which means that I and 99.9% of Christians do practice what the NT Christians practiced; Sunday worship. Did you not know that they practiced both? I shouldn't have assumed you did know that.

Mary
So you'll happily observe the Saturday Sabbath then, as your first statement demands.

Glad to hear it. :)

A step in the right direction.

God bless.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there is no rest from sin, Ferris.
"3Now we who have believed enter that rest." Hebrews 4:3
Joshua gave the people of God rest from their natural enemies. But there still remains a rest for the people of God. A rest Joshua did not give them - rest from the enemy of sin. Those who have believed enter into that rest. Do believers always walk in the rest Christ gave them from the enemy of sin? No. But we do more and more as we grow in the knowledge of the freedom from sin we have in Christ.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you'll happily observe the Saturday Sabbath then, as your first statement demands.

God bless.
She won't, because she can't. Her Catholic teaching says that is not allowed because it gives the appearance of evil. She quoted the source of that misguided Catholic doctrine in two of her posts here. Yet, she acknowledges that the early church did keep both 7th day and 1st day observances.

I acknowledge the freedom of the believer to worship on any day of the week. What I firmly resist is the Catholic doctrine that literally outlawed Jewish law keeping. The stain of that horrible doctrine got carried over into the Protestant reformation. The Catholic religion ruined Christianity.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even with the Holy Spirit guiding, teaching and empowering us not to sin, we are all still capable of sinning.

And (round and round we go) if we are still capable of sinning, then the 10 Commandments are still active and valid.
1 John 3:4
How does only worshipping on a specific day factor into this matter of us all still being capable of sinning?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really expect anybody, with the ability to think for themselves, to believe that those closest to Jesus Christ were confused about what they were supposed to do after His death?

Luke 23:54-56

That is woefully inept.
No Gen2rev, I do not think that THEY were confused. I think that the men who were living the NT did not know what Jewish practices they still had to keep as Christians. That was made clear at the Council of Jerusalem. It was held around 20 years after Jesus death. Do you know the reason for the Council of Jerusalem? Further evidence that they did not know what Jewish practices to hold on to was made clear in Colossians 2:16. Did you know that Colossians was written 30 years after the death of Christ? So via Scripture we know their was confusion with the NT Christians on what they should or shouldn't practice as FORMER Jews.

I also gave you clear historical evidence (the Didache, The Letter of Barnabas) of Sunday worship during the NT times. I gave you the writings of a man, who was a student of the Apostle John, who said Christians were "no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s day..." ! Based on that and other things The Church used it's authority to get all of Christianity on the same page on what day is the Lords Day! That is why 99.9% of Christians worship on that day and we will not allow the inept .1% (or less) tell us Christians what sabbath to keep (Colossians 2:16)!

So, your original statement that the NT Christians practiced Sabbath observance from the very night of Christ's death until around 300 years after is PARTIALLY true. In your ineptness you failed to point out that they ALSO PRACTICED Sunday worship for those years also.

Now, in regard to Luke 23:54-56! That passage shows that those Jewish people were keeping with a Jewish practice/ritual. That passage has absolutely NOTHING to do with what we are talking about; Sunday worship. That is unless you and your Christian sabbath friends still prepare spices and perfumes for your deceased? Is that the point you were trying to make? Christians still need to hold to that practice along with the sabbath practice? :)

Mary

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"3Now we who have believed enter that rest." Hebrews 4:3
Joshua gave the people of God rest from their natural enemies. But there still remains a rest for the people of God. A rest Joshua did not give them - rest from the enemy of sin. Those who have believed enter into that rest. Do believers always walk in the rest Christ gave them from the enemy of sin? No. But we do more and more as we grow in the knowledge of the freedom from sin we have in Christ.
Nice.

Can you produce a verse that states specifically that it's a rest from sin?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I acknowledge the freedom of the believer to worship on any day of the week. What I firmly resist is the Catholic doctrine that literally outlawed Jewish law keeping. The stain of that horrible doctrine got carried over into the Protestant reformation. The Catholic religion ruined Christianity.
To keep up appearances, sometimes you get it right.

At least this is true for those who learn the Bible from a church or outside source other than their own study and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Those who learn it on their own, with the guidance of God, are exempt from, immune to, the evil workings of False Doctrine.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God bless.
You crack me up......No, I will continue to listen to the pillar and foundation of truth and not you! I firmly believe that The Church and 99.999% of Christians got this one right and you and your sabbath practicing Christians got it wrong. I know I took a step in the right direction....which put's me one step ahead of you. ;)

God bless....Mary

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will continue to listen to the pillar and foundation of truth
I forgot that Catholics don't hold that to be the Word of God.

The Bible states that Jesus is the Truth.
John 14:6

And also the Word.
John 1:1

But Catholics believe it is the Pope, correct?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please, stop being so juvenile.

Have you stopped beating your spouse? ↓↓↓
Lol....you tell me to stop being juvenile and then go on to make a juvenile statement. Beating my spouse?....you crack me up....

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Gen2rev, I do not think that THEY were confused. I think that the men who were living the NT did not know what Jewish practices they still had to keep as Christians. That was made clear at the Council of Jerusalem. It was held around 20 years after Jesus death. Do you know the reason for the Council of Jerusalem? Further evidence that they did not know what Jewish practices to hold on to was made clear in Colossians 2:16. Did you know that Colossians was written 30 years after the death of Christ? So via Scripture we know their was confusion with the NT Christians on what they should or shouldn't practice as FORMER Jews.

I also gave you clear historical evidence (the Didache, The Letter of Barnabas) of Sunday worship during the NT times. I gave you the writings of a man, who was a student of the Apostle John, who said Christians were "no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s day..." ! Based on that and other things The Church used it's authority to get all of Christianity on the same page on what day is the Lords Day! That is why 99.9% of Christians worship on that day and we will not allow the inept .1% (or less) tell us Christians what sabbath to keep (Colossians 2:16)!

So, your original statement that the NT Christians practiced Sabbath observance from the very night of Christ's death until around 300 years after is PARTIALLY true. In your ineptness you failed to point out that they ALSO PRACTICED Sunday worship for those years also.

Now, in regard to Luke 23:54-56! That passage shows that those Jewish people were keeping with a Jewish practice/ritual. That passage has absolutely NOTHING to do with what we are talking about; Sunday worship. That is unless you and your Christian sabbath friends still prepare spices and perfumes for your deceased? Is that the point you were trying to make? Christians still need to hold to that practice along with the sabbath practice? :)

Mary
Innuendo and mockery (spices and perfumes?) aren't very persuasive in encouraging others to reform, Mary. :)

No respected Christian scholar believes today that Colossians 2 refers to the 4th commandment, not even Catholic, I would think. And why would they? Such a position weakens the basis for the Sunday festival since the Catholic church holds that the observance of "the venerable day of the Sun" is in obedience to the Sabbath commandment, do they not?

Reactions: Brakelite
Status
Not open for further replies.