The changing perception of hell. - How do you define it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bibles and New Testaments that do NOT contain the word "Hell".

Scarlett's N.T. (1798)
The New Testament in Greek and English (Kneeland, 1823)
Young's Literal Translation (1891)
Twentieth Century New Testament (1900)
Rotherham's Emphasized Bible (reprinted, 1902)
Fenton's Holy Bible in Modern English (1903)
Weymouth's New Testament in Modern Speech (1903)
The New Testament, James Moffat, (1917)
Jewish Publication Society Bible Old Testament (1917)
Panin's Numeric English New Testament (1914)
The New Testament, Charles B. Williams, 1937
The People's New Covenant (Overbury, 1925)
Hanson's New Covenant (1884)
Western N.T. (1926)
NT of our Lord and Savior Anointed (Tomanek, 1958)
Concordant Literal NT (1983)
he N.T., A Translation (Clementson, 1938)
Emphatic Diaglott, Greek/English Interlinear (Wilson, 1942)
New American Bible (1970)
Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible (1976)
Tanakh, The Holy Scriptures, Old Testament (1985)
The New Testament, A New Translation (Greber, 1980)
Christian Bible (1991)
The Scriptures (1993)
World English Bible (in progress)
Orthodox Jewish Brit Chadasha [NT Only]
Original Bible Project (Dr. James Tabor, still in translation)
Zondervan Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1975)**
Int. NASB-NIV Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1993)**
A Critical Paraphrase of the N.T. by Vincent T. Roth (1960)
New Testament, Recovery Version, Living Stream Ministry, 1991
New American Bible Revised Edition (NABRE)
Roman Catholic Holy Bible In Its Original Order, Fred R. Coulter, 2007
Etymological N.T. (An Ultra Literal Translation, 2011, Michael Wine)
Aramaic Peshitta New Testament, 2006, Janet M. Magiera
MirrorWord N.T. (Francois du Toit) still in translation
Victorious Gospel of Jesus Christ, Electronic Ver. (Tentmaker Ministries)
The Source N.T. (Dr. Ann Nyland), 2004, 2007
Jonathan Mitchell N.T. (Jonathan Mitchell) 2009
The Scriptures, 2016
Tree of Life Version, Baker Bookhouse, 2016******
The New Testament (David Bentley Hart) Yale University Press, 2017

]
is this translation of Matthew 25:46 one of those? https://thetencommandmentsministry.us/ministry/ferrar_fenton/pdf/matthew.pdf

What church did Fenton belong to? I recognize some of those in the list.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not an argument. That's an attack. If you think my point is not valid, show me your evidence.
I don't see the point. What I see is that you will take what Jesus says in all scripture and deny it and try to say it means something else. If you don't have ears to hear then it doesn't matter what I say or reference.

Proof is scripture from God speaking to create all things to God destroying all those that deny THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE (JESUS) and creating a new home for all His children and Him to live for eternity.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Freedm

Aug 3, 2023
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't see the point. What I see is that you will take what Jesus says in all scripture and deny it and try to say it means something else. If you don't have ears to hear then it doesn't matter what I say or reference.

Proof is scripture from God speaking to create all things to God destroying all those that deny THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE (JESUS) and creating a new home for all His children and Him to live for eternity.
That's quite the accusation there, telling me that I'm not here to learn and that I'm interested in being right, more than knowing the truth. You must really think you know me.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 25:46
Aionios mistranslated as "eternal" or "everlasting" in Matthew 25:46.

All these verses below use the same NT Greek word, "aionios", the Greek word mistranslated as "eternal" or "everlasting" in Matthew 25:46. See bold below. This shows that "aionios" cannot mean eternal or everlasting.

Matthew 13:22
The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

1 Corinthians 1:20
Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

1 Corinthians 2:8
None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Ephesians 2:2
in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

Galatians 1:4-5 KJV
Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:5 To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Luke 18:29-30
“Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God 30 will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Compare: Matthew 12:32; Mark 10:30; Luke 18:30; Luke 20:35; Ephesians 1:21

Aionios, the Greek word mistranslated as "eternal" and "everlasting" in the Bible (eternal hell?)

]

Reactions: Freedm

Freedm

Aug 3, 2023
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 25:46
Matthew 25:46 (YLT)
And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.

Earlier in that same chapter, and as part of that same parable, Jesus says this:
Then shall he say also to those on the left hand, Go ye from me, the cursed, to the fire, the age-during, that hath been prepared for the Devil and his messengers;

At first glance, you may think that reinforces the doctrine of hell, but does it?

First of all, notice that the word "everlasting" is more accurately translated as "age-during" (this translation from Youngs Literal Translation), which immediately throws into question the entire doctrine of eternal torment. Furthermore, this is a parable, so we need to be very careful with interpretation. We simply can not take anything out of it, such as "the fire" and assume it to be literal, anymore than we can assume that God will literally put wheat in his barn as explained in the parable of the tares. We have to assume that everything in a parable is a symbol for something else. Perhaps the barn is a symbol for blessings, and perhaps the fire is a symbol for hardship.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen