Self Control

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed. That’s what I did years ago in this case and I affirm, the peace is incredible.

We are all on a Spiritual journey and on different points along that journey. Sure, some threads are debate (doctrine) threads. Other threads are personal experience threads, like this one. No need to turn it into another “if you don’t have my doctrine, you are wrong and here’s why” thread. LOL.
Spot on, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Took me a long time to understand how we all come differently to the Lord...Praise God he brought me to that understanding...

All this running around on the board, trying to correct the belief of others.....I hope I have stopped this outrageous behaviour...I’m even embarrassed talking about it....

Personally I think this devil is having a great time, using some to spread his lies.

Thank God he gave me the gift of Faith, not to believe such rubbish....

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If this is speaking towards fleshy appetites I must heartily disagree!

Colossians 3:5 KJV
5) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

This "evil concupiscence" is the desire for evil things, one of the fleshy lusts. Which we are told to mortify, or, "put to death".

Interestingly, Paul speaks in terms of killing one's own body parts. "Your members" refers to the members of your body. Kill therefore your body parts that are upon the earth, he wrote.

Much love!
It speaks of human desires, the ones God gave us, not the sinful ones. Like the desire to love and be loved, the desire to eat and drink, all of the things that make us human. These must be sacrificed in obedience to God. Like when Christ was tempted to eat. It is not a sin to eat but the appetite must be under the control of the Spirit.

Reactions: marks

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All this running around on the board, trying to correct the belief of others.....I hope I have stopped this outrageous behaviour...I’m even embarrassed talking about it....
I do understand a mild correction or qualification , here and there. What I don’t understand is people devoting themselves to the cause of doctrine police, posting again and again in thread after thread.

Even threads like this one, that are not about doctrine, somehow get re-framed in right think terms. I’ve said it many times; proper doctrine is divinely simple. Love God. Love others. It’s too simple for the human mind. We feel compelled to complicate the hell out of it!

What’s that you say? You don’t know Ancient Greek and Aramaic?! Don’t you even dare call yourself Christian. What?! You have t read the Bible from cover to cover using my approved translation? No way you’re born again. What’s that? No tribulation dogma or position on OSAS?! And on and on the comedy show goes. LOL.

Our Lord did not write his treatise or frequent online forums. I doubt he’d pontificate it today as is routinely done here.

• Love
Reactions: Rita and Ritajanice

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Implying sin is not a human desire?
Sin is of the flesh, the part that is against the law of God. Human desires are valid. Like those that Adam and Eve had till they departed from the law.

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I do understand a mild correction or qualification , here and there. What I don’t understand is people devoting themselves to the cause of doctrine police, posting again and again in thread after thread.
Agreed...plus telling members how they should be Born Again.

Embarrassed to say...been there done that...until the Spirit picked me up on it.

Why force feed your belief onto another..oh well, God knows he’s in control.
Even threads like this one, that are not about doctrine, somehow get re-framed in right think terms. I’ve said it many times; proper doctrine is divinely simple. Love God. Love others. It’s too simple for the human mind. We feel compelled to complicate the hell out of it!

What’s that you say? You don’t know Ancient Greek and Aramaic?! Don’t you even dare call yourself Christian. What?! You have t read the Bible from cover to cover using my approved translation? No way you’re born again. What’s that? No tribulation dogma or position on OSAS?! And on and on the comedy show goes. LOL.

Our Lord did not write his treatise or frequent online forums. I doubt he’d pontificate it today as is routinely done here.
I understand what you are saying, thank you,wrangler,always good to get other perspectives on the matter.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Aren't you doing what you decry of others?

Much love!
Is there a difference? I would say yes.
One uses a broad brush to tar the unnamed behind their back, the other, a direct approach with the individual with whom there is a difference.

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t think or even believe that any one on this forum hasn’t passed their own judgement on someone here, I know I have.

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One uses a broad brush to tar the unnamed behind their back, the other, a direct approach with the individual with whom there is a difference.
This is very insightful paragraph....., and imo very true...note to self, as in me.

And Yes, a big difference, thank you for sharing that.

I love reading your way of words, takes me a while though to figure out what is being said by you..x

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is very insightful paragraph....., and imo very true...note to self, as in me.

And Yes, a big difference, thank you for sharing that.

I love reading your way of words, takes me a while though to figure out what is being said by you..x
Thank you for the affirmation Rj.
I try to put what I am trying to say into as few words as possible.....and I must admit, even I need to re read my own posts slowly so that I don't miss the intent.

They are not a 'quick fix'.....it requires applying brainpower. I prefer the shorter note which leaves me to think about it more carefully rather than lengthy replies or statements where the volume of words appear to be saying something but in fact are just waffling.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think or even believe that any one on this forum hasn’t passed their own judgement on someone here
It's human nature. One of the most wrongly held views in Christendom is the notion that we are not to judge others. If one studies, the admonition is to not be a hypocrite, to judge consistently.

Having said that, we must be mindful of preliminary or superficial opinions we draw about others from having the burden of authority over others. When you have authority over others, that's when lip service to your preferences won't do. "I like Johnny." Or "I hate Sally" is a superficial pronouncement.

When you have the responsibility to make them better, that's were judgment takes on a gravitas and new meaning. Self control.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you possess it?

Where does it come from?

Was self control a weakness before you became Born Again or was it a strength?

Afraid it was a weakness for me , I was a complete and utter nut job....only the Holy Spirit can give me self control ....he’s still working on it.

Praise God!!
I think I have some self control. Maybe not enough, though.

I think it comes from guidance from the Lord and effort.

I had little self control before I became Born Again, I think.

• Love

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I clearly need more self-control... Ive laughed way too hard at some of the negative "behaviours" here recently. Ever just read a crazy post in a weird voice? Its hilarious! I appreciate those laughs.

The more I abide in Jesus and His Word, the more control I have. I believe it comes from renewing my mind.

• Love

Ritajanice

Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The enemy will go out of his way to ensnare us and he desperately wants us to run rampant all over this board, so he can get us banned.

He gets in the head even the heads of a Born Again....remember though God is in control.

That is my opinion / testimony and belief.

Short commentary.

It's important to note that while God allows tests and trials, He does not tempt people to sin

Last edited: