Rejecting God on the basis of evil and suffering

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been thinking about the argument some atheists have about not believing in God because of the existance of evil and suffering in the world. That argument has been addressed before, and there are many possible resolutions. But really, it's not a good argument for rejecting the existence of God because that argument alone does not preclude a creator. The central question is where did we come from? There are only two possibilities: we were created or we evolved. That's it. And the more I have studied evolution, the more of an untenable position it becomes.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been thinking about the argument some atheists have about not believing in God because of the existance of evil and suffering in the world. That argument has been addressed before, and there are many possible resolutions. But really, it's not a good argument for rejecting the existence of God because that argument alone does not preclude a creator. The central question is where did we come from? There are only two possibilities: we were created or we evolved. That's it. And the more I have studied evolution, the more of an untenable position it becomes.
In fact Romans declares that everyone knows there is a Creator, but some put that information out of their minds.

I agree with you about evolution. Considering the plethora of examples of irreducible complexity, I don't see it possible. I think Charles Darwin, base on his assertion that his theories were based on the "simple cell" being just that, would refute his own theory.

Much love!

Reactions: Taken and Jericho

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Evil and suffering ?
Suffering can be good for you ? for if you never suffered such, what would you know about such ?
Suffering could wake one up to evil.
Evil is the account of ?

God is the power in regards the Holy Spirit.
What people do in regard God ? turn your back on such or not truly understand that we must abide in Christ Jesus, so as to keep the wolf from our doors, is strength and endurance in God ! out side of that is sloth and ignorance and such will grow cold .

What is needed in us is the Fire, to be on Fire for Christ Jesus totaly and we will endure well at what may come our way, it's delt with ! things become easy in Christ Jesus, outside of that comes cowards that abide in deceptions and delusions, for they fail, due to lack of true strength, for they are Lost !

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But really, it's not a good argument for rejecting the existence of God
Correct. It's a better argument for not worshipping YHWH as God on moral grounds. Therefore, the rebuttal must be made on moral, not metaphysical, grounds.

Some falsely say a God who allows suffering is immoral. I say a man who denies the existence of God is immoral. Morally condemning God will not help Atheists on Judgement Day! They are not the judge but will be judged. FEAR of God is the beginning of wisdom and these Atheists have no fear and therefore, no wisdom.

Why does the Creator allow suffering? The question implies he has a moral obligation to stop suffering, which he does not. In Bible Study, I announced that if I were God I would not end suffering or grant many prayer requests. Why? Because we tend to turn away from God when we have many blessings. God wants us to stay close to him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, and those two possibilities God has specifically identified, saying through Moses, "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live" (Deuteronomy 30:19). Jesus then did likewise identifying a similar fork in the road, in Matthew 16:17.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rejecting God on the basis of evil and suffering

Fact is God is the Creator AND Maker.
Fact is God Created.
Facts is God MADE Divisions.

Night…………Day
Up…………….Down
In………………Out
Above……….Below
With………….Without
Good………..Evil
Etc.

Each concept is of Polar Opposites.

Fact is Good is a concept of Behavior.
Fact is Evil is a concept of Behavior.
Fact is God Created each concept.
Fact is ManKIND has Freewill to exercise either.

When God Created AND then Made ManKIND….God Called His Creation and Making….VERY GOOD.

ManKIND “exercising his OWN (unobstructed) WILL” has “routinely” chosen to “Choose the Behavior of EVIL rather than GOOD.”

WHY?

EFFORT necessary to achieve Desired Result.

Desired Result Goal? Gain

Goal Gain?
Wealth
Position of Power
Control
Notable

Hopeful Gain?
Honor
Trustworthy Legacy

Both Good and Evil men Have for centuries…
Gained Wealth
Gained Power Positions
Gained Control
Gained Notoriety
….ONE via underhandedness, deceit.
….ONE via upstandingness, honesty.

Each HAVE NOT Gained…
Honor
Trustworthy Legacy

The EFFORT to BE underhanded, deceitful IS minimal, easy.

The EFFORT to BE upstanding, honest IS greater, harder.

Underhanded, deceitful hides flaws.
Upstanding, honest reveals flaws.

FACT IS…Every Human has FLAWS…
FACT IS…ManKINDS Creator and Maker HAS OFFERED ManKIND, A way, A truth, A life…
TO Become “MADE” Perfected, Perfect, by the way, truth, life OF the Lord God Almighty.

FACT IS…Gods “Perfection” is Not Suited for a natural human ManKIND of being.

FACT IS…God created and made natural human ManKIND of being…Very Good…
NOT Perfect!

FACT IS…an atheist, IS flawed, IS content with his Flaws, AND God IS gracious to allow an atheist to exercise his OWN (unobstructed) WILL, to never become MADE Perfected.

Glory to God,
Taken

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does the Creator allow suffering? The question implies he has a moral obligation to stop suffering, which he does not. In Bible Study, I announced that if I were God I would not end suffering or grant many prayer requests. Why? Because we tend to turn away from God when we have many blessings. God wants us to stay close to him.

And yet, there will come a day when suffering will end, at least for the saved. The question then is, why is God allowing suffering for this finite period of time? When people ask this question, they are admitting they don't know the answer, yet they draw incomplete conclusions based on that ignorance. We can deduce that this momentary suffering must serve some purpose, even if we don't fully comprehend it.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question then is, why is God allowing suffering for this finite period of time? When people ask this question, they are admitting they don't know the answer, yet they draw incomplete conclusions based on that ignorance.
I answered this question. Suffering brings us closer to God as cold brings us closer to fire.