Is Swearing a Violation of the Ten Commandments? - No. - Well, maybe... ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.
How do the prophets depend on those two commandments?

This might help.

]

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shouldn't swear by what? WHAT should you NOT swear by?

]
By swearing, I meant using dirty words. But now that you mention it, Jesus said:

[33] "Again you have heard that it was said to the men of old, `You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.'
[34] But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
[35] or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
[36] And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black." Matthew 5:33-36 RSV

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do the prophets depend on those two commandments?

This might help.

]
I believe the word "prophets" refers to the teachings of the prophets in the Old Testament.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By swearing, I meant using dirty words. But now that you mention it, Jesus said:

[33] "Again you have heard that it was said to the men of old, `You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.'
[34] But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
[35] or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
[36] And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black." Matthew 5:33-36 RSV
Exactly.
That is what I think the commandment is referring to. Not about "using dirty words".

Dirty words? Like "God"? - LOL

]

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the word "prophets" refers to the teachings of the prophets in the Old Testament.

Bob Estey said:

On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.
That phrase is significant. "the law and the prophets".
It refers to the BOOKS of the Law and the BOOKS of the prophets. See examples below.

• Matthew 5:17
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

• Matthew 7:12
    So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

• Matthew 11:13
    For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John.

• Matthew 22:40
    All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

• Luke 16:16
    The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

• Luke 24:44
    He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

• John 1:45
    Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

• Acts 13:15
    After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

• Acts 24:14
    However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,

• Acts 28:23
    They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.

• Romans 3:21
    But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
]

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Proverbs 27:5-7 "Better is open correction, than concealed love"

If you are going to swear, it's better that you do that and be corrected, than to not know how you love (or what relationship you have to love).

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.
That is what I think the commandment is referring to. Not about "using dirty words".

Dirty words? Like "God"? - LOL

]
You seem to have forgotten this:

Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for edifying, as fits the occasion, that it may impart grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29 RSV

What commandment are you referring to?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That phrase is significant. "the law and the prophets".
It refers to the BOOKS of the Law and the BOOKS of the prophets. See examples below.

• Matthew 5:17
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

• Matthew 7:12
    So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

• Matthew 11:13
    For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John.

• Matthew 22:40
    All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

• Luke 16:16
    The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

• Luke 24:44
    He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

• John 1:45
    Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

• Acts 13:15
    After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

• Acts 24:14
    However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,

• Acts 28:23
    They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.

• Romans 3:21
    But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
]
We agree about the books of the prophets. As for the law, I think there was a simple law.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Phoneman777 would say that you approve of adultery by discussing it.

There is much we don't understand about ancient sexual practices.

If a man has three wives, five concubine slave girls and uses prostitution occasionally, is he an adulterer?
(assuming he would not engage with someone else's wife)

'
I'd say you don't know the difference between "discussing sin" and "defending sin".

If the house is on fire, no need "defending" the flames' appetite for wood - you simply high tail it out of there.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What commandment are you referring to?
If you had read the OP, or even the topic title you would know. Here it is again.

Exodus 20:7 NIV
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Deuteronomy 5:11 NIV
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Matthew 5:34-37 NIV
But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne;
35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.
36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.
37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[a]

James 5:12 NIV
Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else.
All you need to say is a simple “Yes” or “No.” Otherwise you will be condemned.

Is Swearing a Violation of the Ten Commandments? - No. - Well, maybe... ???​

]

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If had read the OP, or even the topic title you would know. Here it is again.

Exodus 20:7 NIV

Deuteronomy 5:11 NIV

Matthew 5:34-37 NIV
But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne;
35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.
36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.
37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[a]

James 5:12 NIV
Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else.
All you need to say is a simple “Yes” or “No.” Otherwise you will be condemned.

Is Swearing a Violation of the Ten Commandments? - No. - Well, maybe... ???​

]
Using the Lord's name in vain is swearing. The Ten Commandment tell us that. I'll give you an example:

"God, we had bad weather!"

That is swearing.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are addressing our Father, no. If you are addressing someone else, yes.
I'm shocked.
You believe that saying "Father, we had bad weather!" to someone other than God would violate the commandment?

If they were observant, they might ask who you were addressing. Father? (who's father?)
Which proves they didn't think you were talking about God. Which isn't his name anyway.

]