Is Swearing a Violation of the Ten Commandments? - No. - Well, maybe... ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was the intent then to correct some behavior that was common among the Israelites at the time? If so, what?
I'm looking more at the "Big Picture", not individual behaviors.

In Jesus's example of swearing oaths, what's common among the behaviors (other than swearing itself)? Talking about the things of God without thinking OF God. Your Matthew 23:21-22 quote I think brings out this point quite nicely:

Matthew 23:21-22 NIV
21 And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it.
22 And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hallowed.jpg

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In some environments, adultery is acceptable. Does that make adultery okay?
@Phoneman777 would say that you approve of adultery by discussing it.

There is much we don't understand about ancient sexual practices.

If a man has three wives, five concubine slave girls and uses prostitution occasionally, is he an adulterer?
(assuming he would not engage with someone else's wife)

'

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acknowledging the Positive Blessing result, and /or the Negative Curse result…is EXPRESSED…with “Positive and Negative” words…that reveal the acknowledging.

Blessed, Saved, Converted, etc.
Damned, hell, crap, dastardly, damn, etc.
Where does the F-bomb fit in here, as a positive or a negative?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the F-bomb fit in here, as a positive or a negative?

F_ _ _; has it’s rooted beginning in suspicions of having been an Acronym… to point out and embarrass individuals ‘caught’, ‘found out” to have engaged in a sexual act…
That which was widely accepted as morally or illegally against a law.

Passing down through, cultures, geographical locations, acceptance of people at large…
F_ _ _; has become widely acceptable to be Used as an expressive, likable, distainable, noun, adjective, adverb…in Public, in Private, per ALL genders, races, age groups, via individuals personal preferences.

Personally, I find the use of other nouns, adjectives, adverbs preferable, out of my mouth and to my ears.

Reactions: amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Phoneman777 would say that you approve of adultery by discussing it.

There is much we don't understand about ancient sexual practices.

If a man has three wives, five concubine slave girls and uses prostitution occasionally, is he an adulterer?
(assuming he would not engage with someone else's wife)

'
We aren't supposed to fornicate or look lustfully at people.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would you answer the topic title question?

]
If you are using the Lord's name in vain, you are sinning. One might argue that if your parents taught you not to swear, you are not honoring them as you should when you swear.

My fear is that you are going to claim that all of the law is tied up in the Ten Commandments, and if we don't break one of those, we aren't sinning. But there are two commandments greater than the ten, that you love God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and you love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:34-40).

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are using the Lord's name in vain, you are sinning. One might argue that if your parents taught you not to swear, you are not honoring them as you should when you swear.
So you believe that the commandment in question is about profanity? I'm saying it isn't. But not to promote profanity. Just questioning the modern misunderstanding. Where is the NT support for this idea that the commandment is about profanity?

My fear is that you are going to claim that all of the law is tied up in the Ten Commandments, and if we don't break one of those, we aren't sinning. But there are two commandments greater than the ten, that you love God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and you love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:34-40).
Not my intention at all.
I believe that the Ten Commandments are subset of the whole law. (as are the two)

]

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interestingly, I have heard people use the phrase, "I swear to God..." to qualify their claims. Ironically, I think this is a violation of the commandment.

/
Because at times there may be a doubt in our minds, would not the best thing to be certain our heart is right, to not ever use the doubtful word or the phrase in such a way? The violation, if there is one, would be, I believe, in accord with what is in our heart. If our mind is doubtful, what does our heart say? The Holy Spirit within, [if the Holy Spirit is within] of course knows the answer, but if a person is too often quenching the Spirit within, then he may be confused as to what he hears from the Holy Spirit and what is coming from some other spirit.

I grew up a sincere Catholic never using the 'cuss' words and never taking the given name our God or His Son in vain. When I went in the army, the fellows around me did all of those things and soon so did I insofar as the 'cuss' words such as "f..." were concerned. I still stirred clear of using the given name of our God or His Son in vain. After three years active duty when I came home, I knew that I could not live with my mother speaking that way... so I cleaned up my language. That was not done for God. That was done for my mother. It was many years later after receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit and beginning to read and study the Bible that I began to understand the "why" of it and knew that it needed to be for God.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe that the commandment in question is about profanity? I'm saying it isn't. But not to promote profanity. Just questioning the modern misunderstanding. Where is the NT support for this idea that the commandment is about profanity?
Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for edifying, as fits the occasion, that it may impart grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29 RSV

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the Ten Commandments are subset of the whole law. (as are the two)
I believe the two great commandments ARE the law. Read Matthew 22:40:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 RSV

Reactions: amadeus

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the two great commandments ARE the law. Read Matthew 22:40:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 RSV
Better read that again.

]