Are Mormons Christians? (Latter Day Saints)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The futility of this position is that we have to live BEFORE 'examining all the evidence.' Few learn to master ancient Sanscite to better understand the Hindu text or learn Chinese to study Taoism of Buddhism. Then there are the doctrines of 30,000+ Christian denominations.

Implied is the IDOLATRY of knowledge and evidence, hardly the substance of faith.
It’s true, but we cannot make choices without knowing what the choices are. We need knowledge to defend our faith….as Peter said….
1 Peter 3:14-17….
”But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.“ (ESV)

Defense must be based on knowledge….otherwise what we believe cannot offer any defense….a belief offered with no defense is just a belief…..but how much is too much? Good question….

Reactions: TheHC

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless we have informed choice, will it be a choice at all, if we do not examine all the evidence?

It’s true, but we cannot make choices without knowing what the choices are.
Moving the goal posts. The claim you made is we first have to examine all the evidence as a condition for it to actually be a choice at all.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It could not be impossible to look into the universe, and not suggest to oneself, that there is something much greater than? Myself? That must be why, faith is defined as it is. A hopeful expectation. One which seeing one greater than oneself, and provides the spirit and love. How could they be wrong? Even if they do not know Jesus, or what a church may speak about him, or perhaps even what the bible suggest about him. Yet, in faith, they walk in the spirit, looking to love God and love others. How can a person be discredited in being a person who seeks God faithfully? Many exclaim there are not any people of the Muslim religious that would be considered christian, but do you know or see their heart? That is the key. In an atheist, who got hurt by his Pastor dad... while he might some issues, he may not believe in God; but that doesnt mean they do not try to forgive, let go, and arent those traits founded from the spirit? Its so unfortunate that there are these divisions however perhaps they are there for good reason, as this world seems to be a proving ground between you and Yahweh. Not fighting Satan or anything like that... but you verses yourself, and your decision to serve Yahweh or not.

God's handiwork proclaims he exist. Psalm 19:`1

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...we first have to examine all the evidence...
Who but God is able to examine all of the evidence? How important is faith?

Heb 11:6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Joh 6:44No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Moving the goal posts. The claim you made is we first have to examine all the evidence as a condition for it to actually be a choice at all.
Who can make a wise decision about something as important as life or death, without evidence?
We have as much evidence as the Bible supplies, so why is it even written if we are not to examine what it says and structure our beliefs on the information it provides?
Blind faith is not what God requires or he would not have provided his word for our enlightenment.

If we decide to take up a profession that involves learning skills from one who is already trained in that skill, do we shun the training because we have faith that we could probably do the job without such assistance?
Would you like a surgeon to operate on you who has read some of a medical textbook and figures that’s enough knowledge for him to start cutting?

It’s the same with those who train others in the work that Jesus assigned, which is also life saving. Jesus trained his apostles, who in turn went out and sought others to train, having the command from Jesus to do so. (Matt 10:11-14; Matt 28:19-10) The apostles were not learned men, but quoted from the Scriptures frequently because Jesus taught them to understand what they said, and how to apply them.

If those who teach God’s word are not conveying its truth, no amount of “knowledge” is going to make a scrap of difference to them or their students.
There is only one truth and it exists it the world, as Jesus said…these are the “wheat” who exist along with the “weeds” that the devil planted. How are we to tell the difference? “By their fruits”, Jesus said…..not just by their beliefs, but how those beliefs govern their daily lives.

The Sunday “Christians” have scant knowledge of the Bible even if they have studied “theology”. They know their doctrines and will vehemently defend them by quoting all the party line scriptures….but take them outside of those party lines and they reveal their complete ignorance of any big picture.

Unless we have the big picture, we will never know where to fit all the pieces.

Reactions: TheHC

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mormonism has a rather strong hold to what is called new age mysticisms and concepts .
You should see what they taught about GOD HIMSELF . HOW HE BEGAN as a mere man . AND THEN GREW UP
into GODHOOD . TALK abouts a BIG TIME BLASPHEMY .
if folks new about new age beliefs , THEY WOULD HAVE SEEN IT within mormonism
but ITS ALSO entered into all denominations to some degree now .
Its like a hybrid religoin that blended the dark with some light and sold that junk as truth .
I'm really interested in comparing Mormons with JW's.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you believe judging beliefs of others important?
Well, the Bible says it’s God’s will that “all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of the truth.” (1Tim.2:4) [And Jesus told us Who gives it. (Luke 10:21)]

Furthermore, the Bible encourages us to “Draw close to God…” at James 4:8, yet there are many teachings out there that push people away from God, one of which is eternal torment.

Just something to consider.

Best wishes, my cousin.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the Bible says it’s God’s will that “all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of the truth.” (1Tim.2:4) [And Jesus told us Who gives it. (Luke 10:21)]

Furthermore, the Bible encourages us to “Draw close to God…” at James 4:8, yet there are many teachings out there that push people away from God, one of which is eternal torment.

Just something to consider.

Best wishes, my cousin.
Hell will be FILLED with people who don't believe in Hell.

Rev They will be tormented day and night FOREVER!!!

Reactions: Grailhunter

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who can make a wise decision about something as important as life or death, without evidence?
Strawman. You previously said “all” the evidence. That’s absurd.

In devotional reading I came across THE verse; we live by faith not sight.

Regarding evidence, it is the evidence of the Spirit of God in our life - not book or head knowledge.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Vanity. Only God has the big picture.
That’s why we have God’s word….to reveal the big picture…..most people have no clue as to what it is, but it’s all there in the Bible…..what we lost in Genesis is restored in Revelation…..everything in the middle is how he achieved it. So what did we lose Wrangler? How does God give it back?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have as much evidence as the Bible supplies, so why is it even written if we are not to examine what it says and structure our beliefs on the information it provides?
I don’t want to hijack a thread about Mormons and turn it into being about JW.

We’ve talked several times about your IDOLATRY of knowledge. Christian’s are supposed to walk by faith not sight.

Faith is not blind faith but it is also acting with confidence in the face of incomplete information. I have experienced enough evidence to proceed in faith. You?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone:

This isn't a JW thread. Please take conversations about JW (or anything tangentially related) to another thread.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think I missed that LOL Check the actual wording in the scriptures. It is the marriage at Cana….Like I said the word wed or wedding does not appear in the scriptures. The story of the marriage at Cana does not give us much information. If there was a marriage ceremony the scriptures do not document it. If it was a wedding ceremony it was probably Pagan. Which would bring up a bunch of questions and maybe why we do not know who was getting married.

The storyline picks up at the reception and all we know is it was significant enough to Yeshua and Miriam for them to be there and significant enough for her to ask Christ for a miracle and significant enough for Him to perform a miracle. It all leaves a lot of questions.

The Hebrew back then did not have a word for wed or wedding. The Greeks definitely had a word for wedding because weddings are a Pagan custom. The Gentile-Christians brought that custom into Christianity and it became popular but not required until the Protestants made it a requirement in the mid 16th century. Even the Catholics did not require a wedding ceremony to be married until after the Protestants required it. The Catholics were big on celibacy and not on marriage. But still wedding ceremonies gained in popularity with Catholics but they would not allow them in Church buildings until after they made them a requirement. One of those Pagan customs that made sense and was right….And one of the things we learned after the biblical era.
still it means the same thing . You are way overthinking things my friend .
marriage ceremony , wedding ceremony , are we really gonna strive over words that MEAN the same thing .
Ponder on that for a bit . In the meanwhile this lamb gonna remind all and continue to remind all , and continually
by grace remind all to be in that bible daily , be in prayer , for we have amongst us many deceivers .
Do be encouraged my friend .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by this.....allow?
THEY were not exposing that thing . they were simply letting her teach n seduce the people .
It mean what it say .
Today we got us many , wait HAVE US MANY , a hireling leading the churches . they wont expose
anything . rather they bed and are in bed with the decievers as they themselves are also decievers .
These hirelings have made the church into a business . and by golly whatever keeps the dollar givers , I MEAN PEOPLE
seated , THEY GONNA allow it to be taught . For sake of ....................................their own behinds and incomes .
These hirelings fear men , fear persecution , and love the world and trust in themselves and their own survival
and they FLEECING THE FLOCKS TOO . Dont you worry my dear friend
IF folks be afraid to speak against them , HERE BE I , ME IS GONNA EXPOSE EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM
and their wicked doctrines too . but the least you all could do is PRAY FOR MEN LIKE ME
and PRAY FOR MANY MORE MEN TO BE RAISED UP and TO HELP THESE PEOPLES .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Put away the other two….divorce just adds to the problem. Even Martin Luther said he could not forbid polygamy because the Bible did not. I am just glad that it has mostly stopped. I as far as I am concerned polygamy is a form of female slavery.
just as i said , i would NOT tell him to put away the other two . I too am GLAD it has mostly stopped .
as far as being a form of female slavery . GOD allowed it . its not a form of female slavery
WELL , well in the old testatment form of it . BUT OH YES , the forms i see of it
that exists in some religoins has made cattle out of the women .
David had quite a few wives now didnt he . YOU really think he made slaves of them . I TROW NOT .
but i do agree with you that what i see and hear of today , its made women into cattle .