A Question for Jehovah's Witnesses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MonoBiblical

Apr 18, 2024
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't mention all of the Gnostic writers. I don't believe in Gnosticism, but for all intents and purposes they were not Trinitarian. There is plenty of evidence they were right around there at the beginning of the early church.
Valentinus was slightly trinitarian.

Reactions: The Learner

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was clear He did it alone.

Isaiah 44
24Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;
Yep, and He called Himself US and OUR! Father and Son.

MonoBiblical

Apr 18, 2024
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas was speaking directly to Jesus. He called Jesus God! Which agrees with many other Scriptures.
Both words are in the subjective nominative case. ὁ κύριός μου καὶ ὁ θεός μου. Plus, the genitive and article proceed each noun. It is definitely not a singular noun phrase. The KAI separates the subjects agreeing with many other scriptures which do this.

Last edited:

MonoBiblical

Apr 18, 2024
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
before my boss, wife kicks me off.

The Hebrew “adoni” occurs 195 times. In every occurrence but two “adoni” is translated with the pronoun “my”. The translation of the related words (i.e. “Adonai: and the root “Adon”) never includes the pronoun “my”. The two verses where it does not appear that way in the KJV are Gen. 43:20 where it is translated “O sir” and II Kings 6:5 where it is translated “Alas master”. But in the NIV Hebrew English Interlinear it is “sir of me”, i.e. “my sir” or “my lord” in Gen. 43:20. And the NIV Hebrew English Interlinear has “my lord”. Because the meaning of any word is determined by usage, and because “adoni” is almost always translated “my lord” we know that “adonimeans “my lord”.

• the suffix "-îm" is the masculine plural, so adonîm translates to "lords"
  • the prefix "ha-" adds definiteness to the word, so ha-adon translates to "the lord"
  • the suffix "-î" adds the meaning of possession, specifically first-person singular, so adoni translates to "my lord"
Psalm 110:1, l'adoni (using the first-person singular possessive suffix and the prefix "le" which means "to") translates to "to my lord."

best explanations here:

being kicked off now
The changes in vowels mean nothing, but I must admit you have a point about Hebrew grammar.

And Adonai does not mean a God, but a lord, and it is the cognate of the Greek Kyrios.

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, and He called Himself US and OUR! Father and Son.
Check out Exodus 7:1, Exodus 22:20, Judges 6:31, Judges 11:24, and 1 Samuel 5:7. Elohim can refer to single beings. Why elohim is a plural word and yet YHWH is clear about being a singular person who created alone is because elohim refers to intensification or amplification. That's why plural elohim is attributed to a singular person without contradicting itself or creating an unprecedented Triune Godhead.

Isaiah 44​
24Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;​

Renowned Hebrew scholar Gesenius said so. There isn't a greater authority on Hebrew than him.

"That the language has entirely rejected the idea of numerical plurality in Elohim (whenever it denotes one God), is proved especially by its being almost invariably joined with a singular attribute"

*Gesenius’ Hebrew Grammar
(Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1910), p. 399.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both words are in the subjective nominative case. ὁ κύριός μου καὶ ὁ θεός μου. Plus, the genitive and article proceed each noun. It is definitely not a singular noun phrase. The KAI separates the subjects agreeing with many other scriptures which do this.
Translation: The Bible doesn't mean what it says!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Check out Exodus 7:1, Exodus 22:20, Judges 6:31, Judges 11:24, and 1 Samuel 5:7. Elohim can refer to single beings. Why elohim is a plural word and yet YHWH is clear about being a singular person who created alone is because elohim refers to intensification or amplification. That's why plural elohim is attributed to a singular person without contradicting itself or creating an unprecedented Triune Godhead.

Isaiah 44​
24Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;​

Renowned Hebrew scholar Gesenius said so. There isn't a greater authority on Hebrew than him.

"That the language has entirely rejected the idea of numerical plurality in Elohim (whenever it denotes one God), is proved especially by its being almost invariably joined with a singular attribute"

Heb 1 Let ALL God's angels WORSHIP Jesus!

Jesus is God.

• Love

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus is God.
I just hand walked you to the truth, having did all of the homework for you, and your reaction is to ignore everything I said and change the subject from the "us" regarding elohim in Genesis 1 to Hebrews 1? Not biting. If you want to stay on track then please answer what I said in my previous post.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just hand walked you to the truth, having did all of the homework for you, and your reaction is to ignore everything I said and change the subject from the "us" regarding elohim in Genesis 1 to Hebrews 1? Not biting. If you want to stay on track then please answer what I said in my previous post.
I answered you with Scripture. ALL of God's angels WORSHIP Jesus, including Michael!

ONLY God is to be worshiped. Jesus is God!

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answered you with Scripture. ALL of God's angels WORSHIP Jesus, including Michael!

ONLY God is to be worshiped. Jesus is God!
We were talking about Genesis 1 before this. Hebrews 1 is not related to what we were talking about. What you're doing is essentially putting the cart in front of the horse.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were talking about Genesis 1 before this. Hebrews 1 is not related to what we were talking about. What you're doing is essentially putting the cart in front of the horse.
Ok, Gen 1 God called Himself US and OUR, Father and Son! ONLY God created! Same outcome. Jesus is God.

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, Gen 1 God called Himself US and OUR, Father and Son! ONLY God created! Same outcome. Jesus is God.
Read this:

Isaiah 44
24Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read this:

Isaiah 44

You're a Hebrew expert? How about quoting Scripture instead of "smokescreening" like JW's always do? I quoted Scripture. I have lots more. Your turn.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was clear He did it alone.

Isaiah 44
I have one thing to say..... and before I do I am putting myself on notice.

Why bother to baptise... as Jesus said... In the name of the Father, and In the Son , and in the Holy Spirit.

That my friend is one. It is called the Godhead.

Because the Godhead dwells bodily in Christ, Jesus could rightly claim that He and the Father are “one” (John 10:30). Because the fullness of God’s divine essence is present in the Son of God, Jesus could say to Philip, “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9).

In summary, the Godhead is the essence of the Divine Being; the Godhead is the one and only Deity. Jesus, the incarnate Godhead, entered our world and showed us exactly who God is: “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known” (John 1:18; cf. Hebrews 1:3).

The word "Godhead" can be found on three occasions in the King James Version of the Bible with the meaning of Deity or Divinity. In theological studies, the term Godhead is used to refer to the concept of the Triune God, or one God in three Persons that include God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Okay mods... monitor me for as long as you want. I just had to get that off my chest.

For everyone else... my signature still stands.