Why did God allow satan to test Job?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why did God allow satan to test Job? Why allow satan to have his way, have power over one of his children? Even communicate civily with satan and even remotely entertain satans request? God has his ways of testing people of their faith but allowing satan to do it? Seems so bizarre and Job was faithful there was no need either, what was the point? Its not like Job needed his faith strengthening per say, he wasn't straying.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Playing the "devil's advocate" here....
(Sorry couldn't resist the humor).

Is man some sort of prized pawn in a cosmic battle between good and evil?

Are we not responsible for our own choices?
Or
Are we manipulated into choosing good or evil?

Did the Devil really make me do it?

Or is this passage, heavy with symbolism and metaphors, saying something different than a flat reading would suggest?

Reactions: jessicaleks93

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why did God allow satan to test Job? Why allow satan to have his way, have power over one of his children? Even communicate civily with satan and even remotely entertain satans request? God has his ways of testing people of their faith but allowing satan to do it? Seems so bizarre and Job was faithful there was no need either, what was the point? Its not like Job needed his faith strengthening per say, he wasn't straying.
Yes, it is an excellent question Jessica......and if you focus on the conversation between God and satan, you will see in their words the reason why God allowed such a monumental test to come upon such a faithful man.....his experience is in the Bible record for a reason...one that today is even more important than it was even back then......

The first 5 verses of Job tell us about the faithful conduct of this man who was wealthy and prosperous with 10 grown children and his 7 sons would hold a family banquet and invite their sisters. When the round of regular banquets were done Job would offer sacrifices to God in case his children had inadvertently offended God in some way.

The next verses are the conversation God had with his adversary...
“Now the day came when the sons of the true God entered to take their station before Jehovah, and Satan also entered among them.”
Apparently a regular meeting with his spirit sons....and the rebel satan entered among them.

7 Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Where have you come from?” Satan answered Jehovah: “From roving about on the earth and from walking about in it.” 8 And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad.”

So right away we see that God has detected in the mind of his adversary, some scrutiny of this faithful man, perhaps already plotting a way to undermine his faith? Then satan makes an accusation concerning Job’s motive in serving his God so faithfully....was it true? How could he prove it?

9 At that Satan answered Jehovah: “Is it for nothing that Job has feared God? 10 Have you not put up a protective hedge around him and his house and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his livestock has spread out in the land. 11 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your very face.” 12 Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Look! Everything that he has is in your hand. Only do not lay your hand on the man himself!” So Satan went out from the presence of Jehovah.”

So right away Job’s integrity was challenged....his motives were said to be entirely selfish, and if God took away everything he had, then he would curse God, claiming that the blessings were the only reason why he had such faith.
Was Job’s faith worth testing? God knew it was strong enough, but he allowed the devil to go so far and no further. One after the other of his servants came to bring him bad news, but the final blow was the loss of all of his children......can we even imagine what he went through that day......and yet...

“At that Job got up and ripped apart his garment and cut the hair off his head; then he fell to the ground and bowed down 21 and said:

“Naked I came out of my mother’s womb,
And naked I will return.
Jehovah has given, and Jehovah has taken away.

Let the name of Jehovah continue to be praised.”

22 In all of this, Job did not sin or accuse God of doing anything wrong.”

He never questioned why, but had faith that his God would have his reasons for these terrible events.
To be noted, it was not God who brought these tragedies on Job but he permitted the test for our benefit, and to show the devil what integrity looks like.
Job was not privy to the conversation taking place behind the scenes either, so he was unaware that he was being tested, which makes his integrity even more precious to God. (Prov 27:11)

Reactions: jessicaleks93

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Continued....

He passed that test, but still on the rampage with something to prove.....the devil wanted more.
Job 2:3-8....
“And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad. He is still holding firmly to his integrity, even though you try to incite me against him to destroy him for no reason.” 4 But Satan answered Jehovah: “Skin for skin. A man will give everything that he has for his life. 5 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.”

6 Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Look! He is in your hand! Only do not take his life!” 7 So Satan went out from the presence of Jehovah and struck Job with painful boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. 8 And Job took a piece of broken pottery to scrape himself, and he was sitting among the ashes.”

Whilst still reeling from the first onslaught, satan demands another test, saying that if Job’s life was threatened, he would curse God....but couched in his accusation was something that affects all of us.
He did not say “everything Job had”, but “everything a man has, he would give for his life”. This went further than just Job, but now involved the whole human race.....what are our own motives in serving God? And how can we prove our own integrity to God?
Would our faith withstand such a test? Job is there as the shining example. God will not allow us to be tempted beyond our limits....and he know what our limits are, so we can rest assured that God will never let satan defeat us.....we can only defeat ourselves by cursing God for our misfortunes......it is never God who causes them, but the devil has no compunction.

So satan was permitted to make Job ill, but he was not allowed to take his life.....the affliction was extremely painful and he was in such a bad state that he could not speak for days.

Another blow was to follow...this time from his wife who had gone through all the trials that he had endured and was now watching he husband destitute and horribly afflicted....

“Finally his wife said to him: “Are you still holding firmly to your integrity? Curse God and die!” 10 But he said to her: “You are talking like one of the senseless women. Should we accept only what is good from the true God and not accept also what is bad?” In all of this, Job did not sin with his lips.”
Her words were completely understandable considering what she too had been through....

Next came the three so called “comforters”, telling Job that God must be punishing him for some secret sin that he should confess......but this faithful man had no sins to confess and we can only imagine his frustration and anger at the suggestion.....yet there was a young man whom God sent to clarify things. He spoke in wisdom and Job was taken through to the end of the challenges.

In a cursory reading, the story of Job seems so unfair when you consider how he conducted himself through satan’s awful challenges, but Job had faith in his God that was unwavering and he also had faith in the resurrection, and knew that he would see his children again in the new world to come. Imagine that reunion, when all 20 of his children meet for the first time, to enjoy eternity together as a family.....and Job will get to know how his test encouraged all of us to endure anything the devil throws at us....especially in this “time of the end”.

I love the way the story ends......after everything was said and done, and put to right....
Job 42:10-17....
“After Job had prayed for his companions, Jehovah removed Job’s tribulation and restored his prosperity. Jehovah gave him double what he had before. 11 All his brothers and sisters and all his former friends came to him and ate a meal with him in his house. They sympathized with him and comforted him over all the calamity that Jehovah had allowed to come upon him. Each of them gave him a piece of money and a gold ring.

12 So Jehovah blessed the last part of Job’s life more than the beginning, and Job came to have 14,000 sheep, 6,000 camels, 1,000 pairs of cattle, and 1,000 female donkeys. 13 He also came to have seven more sons and three more daughters. 14 He named the first daughter Je·miʹmah, the second Ke·ziʹah, and the third Kerʹen-hapʹpuch. 15 No women in all the land were as beautiful as Job’s daughters, and their father gave them an inheritance along with their brothers.

16 After this Job lived for 140 years, and he saw his children and his grandchildren—four generations. 17 Finally Job died, after a long and satisfying life.”

No matter what God permits, we know that blessings follow as a reward for integrity.....

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Playing the "devil's advocate" here....
(Sorry couldn't resist the humor).

Is man some sort of prized pawn in a cosmic battle between good and evil?

Are we not responsible for our own choices?
Or
Are we manipulated into choosing good or evil?

Did the Devil really make me do it?

Or is this passage, heavy with symbolism and metaphors, saying something different than a flat reading would suggest?
Those are great questions and I think the Book of Job needs really dissecting to answer those questions. The book is all very poetic, perhaps even metaphorical and a riddle, making it hard to understand in some areas, its very different to other books of the bible and sticks out like a sore thumb to me and paints this new side to God.....
But to answer your questions...

1.) Id say yes, we are a prized pawn in a battle between good and evil. God and satan want our souls essentially. Though this makes me think, why did God make us then?

2.) I think we have free agency to discern good and evil that's trying to manipulate us

3.) I think having great self awareness and humility allows one to know if the wrong doing was of them or of the devil, this is so much easier said than done and can be difficult to discern.

4.) I think its heavy with symbolism, metaphors and riddles

Reactions: Aunty Jane

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Continued....

He passed that test, but still on the rampage with something to prove.....the devil wanted more.
Job 2:3-8....
“And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad. He is still holding firmly to his integrity, even though you try to incite me against him to destroy him for no reason.” 4 But Satan answered Jehovah: “Skin for skin. A man will give everything that he has for his life. 5 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.”

6 Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Look! He is in your hand! Only do not take his life!” 7 So Satan went out from the presence of Jehovah and struck Job with painful boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. 8 And Job took a piece of broken pottery to scrape himself, and he was sitting among the ashes.”

Whilst still reeling from the first onslaught, satan demands another test, saying that if Job’s life was threatened, he would curse God....but couched in his accusation was something that affects all of us.
He did not say “everything Job had”, but “everything a man has, he would give for his life”. This went further than just Job, but now involved the whole human race.....what are our own motives in serving God? And how can we prove our own integrity to God?
Would our faith withstand such a test? Job is there as the shining example. God will not allow us to be tempted beyond our limits....and he know what our limits are, so we can rest assured that God will never let satan defeat us.....we can only defeat ourselves by cursing God for our misfortunes......it is never God who causes them, but the devil has no compunction.

So satan was permitted to make Job ill, but he was not allowed to take his life.....the affliction was extremely painful and he was in such a bad state that he could not speak for days.

Another blow was to follow...this time from his wife who had gone through all the trials that he had endured and was now watching he husband destitute and horribly afflicted....

“Finally his wife said to him: “Are you still holding firmly to your integrity? Curse God and die!” 10 But he said to her: “You are talking like one of the senseless women. Should we accept only what is good from the true God and not accept also what is bad?” In all of this, Job did not sin with his lips.”
Her words were completely understandable considering what she too had been through....

Next came the three so called “comforters”, telling Job that God must be punishing him for some secret sin that he should confess......but this faithful man had no sins to confess and we can only imagine his frustration and anger at the suggestion.....yet there was a young man whom God sent to clarify things. He spoke in wisdom and Job was taken through to the end of the challenges.

In a cursory reading, the story of Job seems so unfair when you consider how he conducted himself through satan’s awful challenges, but Job had faith in his God that was unwavering and he also had faith in the resurrection, and knew that he would see his children again in the new world to come. Imagine that reunion, when all 20 of his children meet for the first time, to enjoy eternity together as a family.....and Job will get to know how his test encouraged all of us to endure anything the devil throws at us....especially in this “time of the end”.

I love the way the story ends......after everything was said and done, and put to right....
Job 42:10-17....
“After Job had prayed for his companions, Jehovah removed Job’s tribulation and restored his prosperity. Jehovah gave him double what he had before. 11 All his brothers and sisters and all his former friends came to him and ate a meal with him in his house. They sympathized with him and comforted him over all the calamity that Jehovah had allowed to come upon him. Each of them gave him a piece of money and a gold ring.

12 So Jehovah blessed the last part of Job’s life more than the beginning, and Job came to have 14,000 sheep, 6,000 camels, 1,000 pairs of cattle, and 1,000 female donkeys. 13 He also came to have seven more sons and three more daughters. 14 He named the first daughter Je·miʹmah, the second Ke·ziʹah, and the third Kerʹen-hapʹpuch. 15 No women in all the land were as beautiful as Job’s daughters, and their father gave them an inheritance along with their brothers.

16 After this Job lived for 140 years, and he saw his children and his grandchildren—four generations. 17 Finally Job died, after a long and satisfying life.”

No matter what God permits, we know that blessings follow as a reward for integrity.....
Thank you that is a brilliant explanation and it makes a lot more sense.
Though I still wonder why God felt the need to prove what integrity was to satan to even prove him wrong, why would He care what satan thinks?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you that is a brilliant explanation and it makes a lot more sense.
Though I still wonder why God felt the need to prove what integrity was to satan to even prove him wrong, why would He care what satan thinks?
Its more about what this teaches God’s children....not only the humans ones but also the angels of whom satan was the first, but not the last rebel. We all have free will that can be abused....we need to know where that abuse can lead so that we don’t let ourselves be overreached by the devil’s tactics.
Everything in the Bible is there to teach us something about God, about what the devil has up his sleeve, and about how we can provide satan an answer when we endure our own trials. (Prov 27:11)

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the solving of the book of Job was one scripture this:

Job 42:10 And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.

To me Job must have been self and family focused...

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those are great questions and I think the Book of Job needs really dissecting to answer those questions. The book is all very poetic, perhaps even metaphorical and a riddle, making it hard to understand in some areas, its very different to other books of the bible and sticks out like a sore thumb to me and paints this new side to God.....
But to answer your questions...

1.) Id say yes, we are a prized pawn in a battle between good and evil. God and satan want our souls essentially. Though this makes me think, why did God make us then?

2.) I think we have free agency to discern good and evil that's trying to manipulate us

3.) I think having great self awareness and humility allows one to know if the wrong doing was of them or of the devil, this is so much easier said than done and can be difficult to discern.

4.) I think its heavy with symbolism, metaphors and riddles
Okay....
Let's look at something different.

When was Job written? (Internal evidence gives us the clues)

What essentially were all of Job's friends and his last wife doing throughout the book?

Then lastly,
What was Jewish understanding concerning Satan before the Persian Empire?

Doesn't it seem odd that God wouldn't warn the Israelites about Satan while wondering around the desert and conquering the Promised Land? Then at least at some point before the Diaspora into Assyria or Babylon? The annoying truth of the matter is that Jews didn't have any theology concerning Satan until AFTER the Persian Empire came along and introduced Israel to Mazdaism/Zoroastrianism.
So....for over 2 thousand years, even after the writing of the Law of Moses, nobody believed that Satan was anything resembling modern thoughts concerning this creature. Satan doesn't really exist in the way we think about the subject until after the Persian Empire....at which point then Satan begins appearing in literature and myth. Especially after "the Book of Enoch, the 7th from Adam" which was written around 100 BCE. Until then...there was no demonology whatsoever.
So if this is then the case....why would Job be written? Writing was extremely expensive and a luxury item. Job would cost roughly 3 months of wages to reproduce. Is it more likely then that "satan" is a metaphorical title of other believers in God who were envious of Job's wealth? Believing Job was only good because of his riches?

My favorite parts in Job:
"I need an Advocate to plead my case with God"
"The only wife I have left thinks my breath always smells bad"

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why?
For Jobs own benefit.

A “TEST” is ALWAYS “FOR” the “benefit” of the one being “TESTED” to have plainly revealed to himself, his own strength in his own standing. (Regardless of WHO is conducting the test.)

Glory to God,
Taken

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job suffered for us to reflect upon whenever we experience loss, pain and sufferings in life.
We need encouragement during hardships; so we look back at Job and realize this is all temporary, it will pass, God is with me He hasn't abandoned me, He will rescue me, save me ... so I will persevere and praise God for everything, good or bad.
HE causes all things work together for good. Job kept his faith through the worst possible experiences and did not curse God, dishonor God. He did not listen to his friends or family who seemed to advice him to abandon his faith. They were wrong.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The story could be true, then again it could just be poetry.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why?
For Jobs own benefit.

A “TEST” is ALWAYS “FOR” the “benefit” of the one being “TESTED” to have plainly revealed to himself, his own strength in his own standing. (Regardless of WHO is conducting the test.)

Glory to God,
Taken
1 Peter 1:3-9
[3]Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
[4]To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
[5]Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
[6]Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
[7]That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
[8]Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
[9]Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 4:12-14
[12]Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
[13]But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
[14]If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

James 1:2-4
[2]My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
[3]Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
[4]But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Romans 5:1-5
[1]Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
[2]By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
[3]And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
[4]And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
[5]And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

@jessicaleks93 Job answered your question himself.

Job 23:10
[10]But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
Zechariah 13:8-9
[8]And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.
[9]And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

Malachi 3:2-3
[2]But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
[3]And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

Fire is a refiner, to remove impurities. It is also a prover. When we are tested as though by fire, it reveals what is within us. It is for our own benefit.

Isaiah 64:8
[8]But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Jude 1:24-25

[24]Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
[25]To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

• Love
Reactions: Taken

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
CONTENDING THE SILENCE OF HEAVEN: A STUDY ON JOB.

INTRODUCTION.
Many identify with Job because they see themselves or others as victims, expressing their disappointment towards a silent God, for failing to step in to prevent their suffering, due to not understanding that Job's contention was not over this issue. In this essay, I propose that Job was fully submitted to the will of God, the true remedy for the lack of peace and joy in his people, as Paul writes: I am overjoyed in all affliction 2 Cor. 7.4, and that his grief was due to the loss of his sense of God's presence and therefore the silence of heaven, which resulted from the challenge the accuser made, that the principle of love, under the New Covenant, is not superior to that of control. The challenge was that God should step down from his throne if Job could be proven to be unholy, not serving out of love alone1 as R. Sutherland said, and the best that God could produce.

LIGHT.
Job's reaction to sudden and profound loss, was to accept it with grace as if from the hand of God, with thanksgiving and praise. We are presented with a man who walks in the Spirit, a faithful servant of Almighty God. Later he would lament:

O that I were as in the months of old

as in the days when God watched over me

when his lamp shone over my head and by his light

I walked through darkness when I was in my prime.
29.2-4.

'It did not matter whether deep darkness might be around him for, by the light of God, he saw the path, and was able to walk with him through

darkness'2 explains J. Penn-Lewis. For Job, each successive blow is accepted magnanimously: The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. 1.21. On recounting his past experiences 29.23, Job does not speak of his worldly loss, but expresses his grief about his loss of light, or in other words, the presence of God.

Paul H. Jones writes that Job believed in the law of karma 3 but I posit that he was demonstrating that he knew that his children were still operating under the old covenant, when he made sacrifice for them, which was also the theology of the 'friends' whereas he himself lived now in the light of the New Covenant or love, which can be shown by his acceptance of evil as being non retributive: Shall we receive the good from the hand of God and not receive the bad? 2.10. Job is shown to be a holy man, walking in the light, having put on the righteousness of God.

INTO DARKNESS AND SILENCE.

The story moves on to where his 'friends' join him in the ash-pit outside of the city walls. The thing which he had dreaded the most, had occurred, leaving him speechless: The heavens were silent; God had departed, and creation has seemingly been reversed. This situation, known by others who walk closely with God, has been called 'The Dark Night of the Soul' by St John of the Cross.4 The deserted lover in this case is not at fault and sought him but found him not, Song of Solomon 3.1. Likewise from J.S. Bach:

If each day is filled with sorrow
And lamentation does not vanish
Ah, then this pain must
Pave the way to death
My dearest God lets me
Still call in vain. 5

Job pleads, Make me know my transgressions and my sin, 13.23. All of the understanding of his past dealings with God were being demolished because there is silence regarding his request and readiness to repent, had he inadvertently sinned. His claim to sinlessness was due to light given, but now, circumstances lead him to believe that his convictions are in doubt, which brought extreme confusion and despair.

As D. Tidball says 'His theology tells him that he ought not to be ignored by God at such a time as this. His experience tells him that he is being deserted by God. The God whom he has trusted until now, is he believes, a God of power who answers prayer and saves people in need.'6 But Job feels that God has become his enemy and is atacking him, the name YHWH being changed to El-Shaddai denoting destruction Is. 13.6, in the poetic section of the book 3.1- 42.6. To deal with El-Shaddai is a bitter and terrible experience, as in: Call me Mara (bitter) for El-Shaddai has dealt bitterly with me, Ruth 1.20, noted by J. G. Janzen. 7

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
VOICES.

I believe that we may interpret the voices of the four friends, as trains of thought personified, which run through Job's mind during this period of utter darkness, as human understanding and the accuser's arrows are pitted against the light which he had previously received, if we consider the following: he claims that he is deserted by family and friends 16.7; 19.13; he is in a place of isolation and shame, where those with infectious diseases dwell, and it seems unlikely to me that his 'friends' would take a risk in entering such a place, showing such loyalty, the reality being, that when calamity strikes, friends are most often, nowhere to be seen; and also because one of the distinguishing marks of being in the 'dark night' is that one finds oneself deserted by all, as the presence of friends would have given a degree of comfort, despite their differing theologies.

The depth of suffering can be appreciated with more clarity, moreover, if one considers that Job goes through a trial of extreme confusion with the contest taking place in his mind and which enables us to identify with it more easily in a similar trial.

There is also the matter of the style of the speeches, where there is no direct communication, the reasoning going round and round in circles and often called wind 8.2; 15.2; 16.3, and which is confirmed when God speaks out of the whirlwind 38.1 denoting confusion. Gutiérrez describes it helpfully as ' the arguments are like a wheel spinning in the air.' 8

TEMPTATION
Job is taunted throughout the speeches, by two thoughts, the first of which has been the temptation of the enemy since the beginning: Did God say? Genesis 3.1. God had declared Job sinless, and the accuser desired that Job would doubt it, losing his testimony. The voices taunted him with the thought that if indeed he was sinless, then God would have no reason to withdraw. If Job admitted he was not, then God would restore him as he desired. The issue was over Job's righteousness, and what is special about Job, is that he brings illumination to the severest of trial in the spiritual realm with which Jesus himself also had to contend, that is the seeming desertion of God in the hour of need of his most devout servants.

In this crucible, the words of the sufferer seem beyond comprehension, being so exaggerated and dramatic. We find the same also with Jeremiah, David, and Christian mystics. Job responds with increasing confusion until he reaches the depth of despair.

RESOLUTION

Finally, we see the curtain drawn back as God returns and speaks, as we are given a glimpse of the administration of the heavenly and earthly realms, where love and freedom rules, and not might, as we are shown the freedom that God gives his creation, and which has been denied to him by the demands made by Job in his grief.

Job finally understands the purpose of the silence for himself and also for those who are willing to do all things without murmuring and arguing so that you may be blameless and innocent children of God without blemish, Phil. 2.14-15.

CONCLUSION.

Job is convicted and repents of his lamentation of the loss of God's presence (in dust and ashes) and has at last understood that he must walk by faith in the light already given. Even enjoyment of the presence of God must be given up willingly to worship the giver of the gift and not the gift itself. He is validated in that he had spoken correctly about God, that the trial was not because he sinned, and the accuser(s) were wrong. Finally, 'Job reflects the gratitious love of God'9 as P. H. Jones puts it, wanting nothing for himself, happy to allow God to grace with his presence at his choosing, and willing to walk by faith alone, in unquestioning loyalty. Job's maturity is complete.

Tidball, Derek. The Message of the Cross. Nottingham: Inter-Varsity Press, 2001.
1Robert Sutherland, Putting God on Trial: The Biblical Book of Job. (British Columbia:Trafford 2004), 34.
2Jessie Penn-Lewis, The Story of Job. (Fort Washington:CLC 1996), 11.

3 Paul H. Jones, Job's Way Through Pain: Karma, Clichés & Questions. (Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2014)
4St. John of the Cross, Ascent of Mount Carmel. (London: Burns and Oats 1983)
5J.S. Bach, The Complete Cantatas. (trans. R Stokes; Toronto: The Scarecrow Press, 2004) BWV 13.
6Derek Tidball, The Message of the Cross, (Nottingham: Intervarsity Press, 2001), 86.
7J Gerald Janzen, At the Scent of Water: The Ground of Hope in the Book of Job. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmanns, 2009), 92.
8Gustavo Gutiérrez, On Job: God Talk and the Suffering of the Innocent. (Maryknoll:Orbis, 1987), 29.
9Paul H
of Theology class 2014.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 1:3-9
[3]Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
[4]To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
[5]Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
[6]Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
[7]That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
[8]Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
[9]Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 4:12-14
[12]Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
[13]But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
[14]If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

James 1:2-4
[2]My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
[3]Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
[4]But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Romans 5:1-5
[1]Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
[2]By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
[3]And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
[4]And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
[5]And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

@jessicaleks93 Job answered your question himself.

Job 23:10
[10]But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
Zechariah 13:8-9
[8]And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.
[9]And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

Malachi 3:2-3
[2]But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
[3]And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

Fire is a refiner, to remove impurities. It is also a prover. When we are tested as though by fire, it reveals what is within us. It is for our own benefit.

Isaiah 64:8
[8]But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Jude 1:24-25

[24]Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
[25]To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Amen! Excellent References. Thank you for posting. God Bless you.

Glory to God,
Taken

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Job was tested, to see if peaceable fruits of righteousness grew.

The fruit of the forum is thorns and briars, because words are not to eternal life, Jesus Christ dying and rising again is eternal life.

John 4:36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.

James 3:14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.