What's Up With Sex?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One partner for life?

What you get you are stuck with.

Was she raised in the church? Probably thinks sex is evil. Isn't that what we were taught?

I'm not advocating sexual promiscuity, but what can we make of this?

In the church we destroy sex with our religious views.

Discuss.

]

• Haha
Reactions: ScottA

Oneoff

Apr 14, 2021
East Anglia
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One partner for life?

Was she raised in the church? Probably thinks sex is evil. Isn't that what we were taught?

Discuss.

]
I was raised so protectively that I came to view the subject of sex very fundamentally.
I believed that sex prior to marriage was sinful and married as a 'virgin'.
But it didn't stop there because I also believed that sex other than for the sincere intent of procreation was also sinful.
But surely 'man' is created with such an irresistible sexual urge in order to ensure that the 'species' doesn't become extinct and fo fulfil Gods command to be fruitful and multiply,
It wasn't long before that irresistible urge won the battle !!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
Land of the Long White Cloud
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That is how God made man and woman in the beginning.
Genesis 2:
23 Then the man said,“This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.”
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

What are you advocating? What can we make of what? :IDK:

@St. SteVen - People of the world will have many sexual partners during their lifetime. They may even be faithful to one partner eventually. Do you think christians are missing out somehow? The bible says: in Romans 6:6 "knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;"

Crucifiying the flesh and all it's lusts mean we have to die to our old self (our old man) It's part of being a new creation in Christ. Born Again if you will...Having one partner for life is not a prison sentence if you love and respect each other and God is the center of every part of your existence...

Last edited:

Oneoff

Apr 14, 2021
East Anglia
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Genesis 2:
and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.”
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

@St. SteVen - People of the world will have many sexual partners during their lifetime. They may even be faithful to one partner eventually. Do you think christians are missing out somehow? The bible says: in Romans 6:6 "knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;"

Crucifiying the flesh and all it's lusts mean we have to die to our old self (our old man) It's part of being a new creation in Christ. Born Again if you will...Having one partner for life is not a prison sentence if you love and respect each other...

Genesis 2:

Crucifiying the flesh and all it's lusts mean we have to die to our old self (our old man) It's part of being a new creation in Christ. Born Again if you will...Having one partner for life is not a prison sentence if you love and respect each other and God is the center of every part of your existence...
Next question ...." Is contraception sinful?"
I believe that the Catholic Church once held it to be so.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You think I'd make myself vulnerable in an environment such as this forum? Not on your life. I share my sins, my struggles and my shortcomings in environments I can trust and feel safe in. There are plenty who are happy to consign me to hell or some other parallel for having a different view to theirs.......so wisdom tells me that some cards are left close to my chest.

On the other hand I could put my best foot forward and play that ubiquitous game of saying all the 'right' things, but frankly, personally I have a good sniffer for that stuff and it leaves me with a poor impression.....so I refuse to. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another thread highlighting your weakness in the faith.

God invented sex. Praise God.

Sexual desire is not a sin. Lust is a sin. CS Lewis wrote how odd it would be for an auditorium to be filled as being watched a man eating a ham sandwich. Being hungry is not a sin. Excess is the hallmark of all the 7 Deadly Sins. This is why gluttony is a sin.

Reactions: MA2444

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised so protectively that I came to view the subject of sex very fundamentally.
I believed that sex prior to marriage was sinful and married as a 'virgin'.
But it didn't stop there because I also believed that sex other than for the sincere intent of procreation was also sinful.
But surely 'man' is created with such an irresistible sexual urge in order to ensure that the 'species' doesn't become extinct and fo fulfil Gods command to be fruitful and multiply,
It wasn't long before that irresistible urge won the battle !!
How do you feel about that now?
Do you wish that the environment you were raised in hadn't been so puritanical?

It seems to me that God intended sex to be enjoyable. But in the church, we over-reacted to promiscuity to the point of making sex bad. I see this as a severe disservice. I wonder how many marriages were destroyed as a result.

]

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought I was clear in the OP. I wrote this:

Additionally, I know many wonderful Christian couples who are remarried for one reason or another.
They are branded in the church. Looked down on as if they are less than they should be.

There is also the issue in the church, especially for females, that sex is bad. This can have devastating effects on intimacy with their husband,

Also the wide-spread problem of sexual abuse of children that have to recover as adults.

Plenty to discuss, I suppose.

]

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Next question ...." Is contraception sinful?"
I believe that the Catholic Church once held it to be so.
That's a great question. Glad you joined the discussion.

Seems to me that contraception should be a personal decision. The church shouldn't police the marriage bed.

On the other hand, are we thwarting God's intentions for sex?

There was a time when a large family was needed to help with the work. And families were extended to several generations. Our modern society doesn't work that way. Too many children can be a burden.

So, is contraception sinful? Good question.

]

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think I'd make myself vulnerable in an environment such as this forum? Not on your life. I share my sins, my struggles and my shortcomings in environments I can trust and feel safe in. There are plenty who are happy to consign me to hell or some other parallel for having a different view to theirs.......so wisdom tells me that some cards are left close to my chest.

On the other hand I could put my best foot forward and play that ubiquitous game of saying all the 'right' things, but frankly, personally I have a good sniffer for that stuff and it leaves me with a poor impression.....so I refuse to. :tiphat:
That seems like a good example of what the church has done to us. A shaming culture surrounds that which we should be able to discuss discretely.

We don't need to share personal stuff to discuss sex in general. And specifically what the church has done with it.

]

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think I'd make myself vulnerable in an environment such as this forum?
No need for vulnerability in a general discussion of sex. (unless you are comfortable)

Has the church dealt appropriately with the subject of sex?

Seems that in an attempt to prevent promiscuity, they have thrown the marriage bed out with the bath water.

]

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One partner for life?

Discuss.

]
Where physical intimacy is part of the human experience and is pleasurable....it's not the sum total or the end result of "doing things right"

It's a very small part.

And those that prioritize this single activity have issues with narcissism.

Building, creating positive relationships with various groups and creating groups is a much more rewarding experience than sex.

People been having sex for tens of thousands of years. Just like breathing, walking or evacuating bodily waste....however...

Some people wish to destroy all the good work by increasing sexual perversion.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you feel about that now?
Do you wish that the environment you were raised in hadn't been so puritanical?

It seems to me that God intended sex to be enjoyable. But in the church, we over-reacted to promiscuity to the point of making sex bad. I see this as a severe disservice. I wonder how many marriages were destroyed as a result.

]

Ge 1:31And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
As for being content with one wife, Jesus also confirms what someone has already cited here from Gen 2:

Mt 19:4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
Mt 19:5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Mt 19:6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
And then as to what happens in the marriage bed, consider what is written here:

Heb 13:4Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Especially for females.
How a girls dresses is seen as "suggestive" if too much skin is showing.
If this attracts the wrong kind of attention it is her doing, and her fault.
She is bad, rather than the perpetrator.

The modern solution is to cover up with leggings. (yoga pants) Which is even more suggestive, but follows the less skin rule.

A shirt fit tightly on the breasts is deemed fine unless it has a low neckline. (follows the less skin rule)

Males can go topless at the beach, no problem. No skin rules for men, except for genital exposure.

]

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How a girls dresses is seen as "suggestive" if too much skin is showing.
If this attracts the wrong kind of attention it is her doing, and her fault.
She is bad, rather than the perpetrator.

There's nothing wrong with modesty. Some denominations are more strict in that area than others. I'm not sure how this is a negative.

Males can go topless at the beach, no problem. No skin rules for men, except for genital exposure.

There's a pretty big difference there, don't you think?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One partner for life?

Discuss.

]

It's all parables.

Regarding sex, beginning with gender: Gender is a parable demonstration of mankind (humanity) being taken out of or removed from the presence of God. Marriage then is its own parable image of those matching spiritually being rejoined or returned to God, literally as One.

The fact that sex is or can be immensely enjoyable perhaps makes the issue confusing, because, well, more would seem to be better. Only as an image revelation from God, He has clarified the actual and only means by which the foreshadowing act of sex is attained. In which case, the number, is One. Hence, the narrow way leading unto life, versus the wide way leading to destruction.

Thank God for forgiveness!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One partner for life?

Discuss.

]
I think you're thinking of purity culture. Sex is a good thing.

There are plenty of deeply religious and conservative women who believe in prioritizing and enjoying married sex, however.