What is the "SIGN" of the Son of Man - Poll

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the "SIGN" of the Son of Man?

• The actual physical second coming of Christ in the sky.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Some type of Astronomical event.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • It is just symbolic. No actual "sign".

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
sooo, was it the wrath of the Romans or the wrath of God?
Does God use evil to accomplish his purposes? The Hebrews/ Jews definitely thought so as do many others.....even those who 'believe' in Jesus.

I would ask, is this the picture of God Jesus conveyed to the World? .....if it is, how do we understand, 'love your enemies, do good to those who persecute you so that you may be Sons of your Father in Heaven?
Does this answer your question if God uses evil to accomplish His purpose?

Revelation 17
16 The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority, until God’s words are fulfilled.

God has done it many times like the angel of death on Egypt

Did you see what Jesus said below

Luke 19
41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42 and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. 43 The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.”

So did the Romans attack Jerusalem because the Jews rejected Jesus or did they do it in the own evil desires but God used it for His purpose just like Jesus said.

Jesus wept over it brought Him no joy It but it was the only way to get their attention

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does this answer your question if God uses evil to accomplish His purpose?

Revelation 17
16 The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority, until God’s words are fulfilled.

God has done it many times like the angel of death on Egypt

Did you see what Jesus said below

Luke 19
41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42 and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. 43 The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.”

So did the Romans attack Jerusalem because the Jews rejected Jesus or did they do it in the own evil desires but God used it for His purpose just like Jesus said.

Jesus wept over it brought Him no joy It but it was the only way to get their attention
Prediction does not equal causation.
I can accurately predict you'll be dead in a hundred years. My prediction does not mean I caused your death.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Prediction does not equal causation.
I can accurately predict you'll be dead in a hundred years. My prediction does not mean I caused your death.
Reread both biblical texts from Luke and revelation that I quoted and you will see that they aren’t just predictions they both say that it was for Gods purpose

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sooo, was it the wrath of the Romans or the wrath of God?
Yes.
Does God use evil to accomplish his purposes? The Hebrews/ Jews definitely thought so as do many others.....even those who 'believe' in Jesus.
God uses evil men and nations to accomplish His purposes. This is explicitly stated in Isaiah Chapter 10:

O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is mine indignation. I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.... Shall the axe boast itself against him that heweth therewith? or shall the saw magnify itself against him that shaketh it? as if the rod should shake itself against them that lift it up, or as if the staff should lift up itself, as if it were no wood.

I would ask, is this the picture of God Jesus conveyed to the World?
Yes. There is metaphor that runs all the way from one end of the Bible to the other, in which nations are figured as trees, and God is envisioned as the husbandman who plants, prunes, grafts, and chops them down. The verse above are part of it, and it continues in the New Testament:

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (Matthew 3 - John the Baptist)

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (Matthew 7 - Jesus)

For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. (Romans 11 - Paul)

.....if it is, how do we understand, 'love your enemies, do good to those who persecute you so that you may be Sons of your Father in Heaven?
Is this really that hard? Good people do good things, and God's will is accomplished. Evil people do evil things, and God's will is STILL accomplished. The former are sons; the latter are axes. Better to be a son than an axe.

Reactions: Marty fox

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes.

God uses evil men and nations to accomplish His purposes. This is explicitly stated in Isaiah Chapter 10:

O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is mine indignation. I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.... Shall the axe boast itself against him that heweth therewith? or shall the saw magnify itself against him that shaketh it? as if the rod should shake itself against them that lift it up, or as if the staff should lift up itself, as if it were no wood.

Yes. There is metaphor that runs all the way from one end of the Bible to the other, in which nations are figured as trees, and God is envisioned as the husbandman who plants, prunes, grafts, and chops them down. The verse above are part of it, and it continues in the New Testament:

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (Matthew 3 - John the Baptist)

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (Matthew 7 - Jesus)

For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. (Romans 11 - Paul)

Is this really that hard? Good people do good things, and God's will is accomplished. Evil people do evil things, and God's will is STILL accomplished. The former are sons; the latter are axes. Better to be a son than an axe.
Great post thanks for the input

Reactions: Wick Stick

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Reread both biblical texts from Luke and revelation that I quoted and you will see that they aren’t just predictions they both say that it was for Gods purpose
I don't see the quote in Luke 19 saying it Marty.

I see it like this, We live on a messy planet where bad things happen. These bad things are not orchestrated by God but by the Devil. He is the one who steals, kills and destroys and he uses evil men and the forces of nature to achieve his purposes. God on the other hand works within the chaos but he does not orchestrate it anymore than paramedics who attend accident scenes.

When we read the text in Revelation 17:17 that you quoted and interpret it as if God orchestrated the destruction (manipulated the arrangement of events ) rather than seeing him as the one who staves off destruction, we tread on thin ice. Why is that the case? Because it means God interferes with the free choice he has given men by manipulating.
I don't think God is a manipulator at all. It is Satan who manipulates man's view so that the responsibility for evil is put onto God. Isn't that what happened in Eden?

The OT prophets saw God as orchestrating evil. I'm persuaded they were in error.....and that persuasion comes from how Jesus portrayed his Father.....and it was not one of being a manipulator.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes.

I see you fall on the side of God being a vindictive God portrayed in OT writings rather than the testimony of the only eyewitness of God, namely Jesus, W.S.?

Wasn't Jesus the one the voice from the cloud told Peter, James and John to listen to? even though Moses and Elijah appeared there also (Moses and Elijah being representatives of the Law and the Prophets......Moses, the great law giver and Elijah, the great reformer, both champions of Israel)

It is HOW one see's God that determines HOW one hears what is written by both the Prophets and Jesus.

wooddog

May 8, 2024
cleveland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The language used is metaphor. Swords are held in hands not mouths, therefore a sword in the mouth depiction is saying his words are incisive.
A metaphor for what? The Lord is a consuming fire. Lightning is 5 times hotter than the sun. Pray you don't get smoked.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul's loss is a believers loss only. And any believer's loss is not about their salvation status either And this 'loss' is alien to an unbeliever as they are alien to Christ. Cannot mix this 'loss' and apply it both the believer and the unbeliever, at least as you imply it. So when you said "I believe every thing built upon the foundation that is not of Christ will suffer loss. " This is NOT true in the WAY you are using it! I hope you understand this fine and critical point.
I’ll probably have to let this one set for a while. a few things I do want to say is first I’m not saying “loss” is about salvation status. I only meant there is going to be loss because I’ve felt it too. Like the verse in (I get it was written to the twelve tribes but it’s helpful imo for our learning) James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into diverse temptations; [3] Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience. [4] But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
I’ve heard to be careful in praying for patience. That learning patience is no fun but painful.

I reread what I wrote "I believe every thing built upon the foundation that is not of Christ will suffer loss.” I can see how that sounds like I meant it’s unbelievers (what’s not of Christ) that suffers loss. I didn’t mean it that way but instead what remains in believers that is not of Him is done away with.

I used Paul as an example because of how he spoke on all his fleshly accomplishments-how he spelled those fleshly accomplishments out for us. I see that as the wood, hay, and stubble. For example if I wanted to list all the theological achievements I have obtained. All the schooling and degrees I have achieved. All the doctrinal mountains I’ve climbed …none of that true but only an example. If I had all that backing my name as an authority or Voice qualified to be heard …what I hear Paul saying is that is all dung. Same applies to fleshly opinions and what I think I’ve achieved…so if you think I’m saying we add to our salvation status. That’s not true. all I’m saying is there will be loss. “He who suffers in the flesh has cease from sin”? A giving up ‘putting off. of something, gaining something better.

Maybe that doesn’t answer your comment very well. What I meant mostly is what I have been instructed or heard: is the one who suffers loss of his works being burned, and is he himself saved, even as by fire.
^is those unbelievers destroyed by fire-questioning what “he himself saved by fire—means. See what I’ve heard is suggesting believers don’t suffer the loss of their works burned by fire.
But as you said I don’t think it’s unbelievers in “if any man suffers the loss” “he himself will be saved” “even as by fire” 1 Peter 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

I do still believe Paul spoke of the loss of all things —but counted those things dung to win Christ.

Reactions: APAK

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A metaphor for what? The Lord is a consuming fire. Lightning is 5 times hotter than the sun. Pray you don't get smoked.
Metaphors require decoding. The decoder (the key) is Jesus. It tells us that in the first few verses of the Book of Revelation.
Now you know what/ who the key is but do you know how to use it?

Love is a consuming fire. That which is not compatible to love, distances and destroys itself.
Love is also like a sword. What is the good of a sword if one doesn't know how to use it?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Metaphors require decoding. The decoder (the key) is Jesus. It tells us that in the first few verses of the Book of Revelation.
Now you know what/ who the key is but do you know how to use it?

Love is a consuming fire. That which is not compatible to love, distances and destroys itself.
Love is also like a sword. What is the good of a sword if one doesn't know how to use it?
I was reading y’all comments back and forth to each other. I don’t know if this helps but consider Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

It reminds me of “they meant it for evil. God meant it for good.”

Reactions: Marty fox

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was reading y’all comments back and forth to each other. I don’t know if this helps but consider Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

It reminds me of “they meant it for evil. God meant it for good.”
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say ViJ....do you want to clarify?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24:30
And then shall appear the SIGN of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
In context, look at the previous verses:
*Immediately after the tribulation of those days
*the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;
* the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

"After the tribulation of those days" means what was previously described leading up to that point: earthquakes, famine, pestilence, wars, ... the beginning of sorrows.
Vs. 14 "The Gospel is preached to every nation ..." I guess we are almost there.

So what sign in the heavens? LIGHT!

From the war escalating in the Middle East into what might amount to nuclear, smoke will block out light from the sun, moon and stars so that it will be as night.
Then light will come from the eastern sky in Jerusalem ... they will look to see what this blinding bright light is ... then every eye will see Him.

* Oh, I just realized,m that there were a few Amillennials in the mix! Lol ... that will certainly present opposing perspectives on the subject of Christ's return.

Last edited:

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't see the quote in Luke 19 saying it Marty.

I see it like this, We live on a messy planet where bad things happen. These bad things are not orchestrated by God but by the Devil. He is the one who steals, kills and destroys and he uses evil men and the forces of nature to achieve his purposes. God on the other hand works within the chaos but he does not orchestrate it anymore than paramedics who attend accident scenes.

When we read the text in Revelation 17:17 that you quoted and interpret it as if God orchestrated the destruction (manipulated the arrangement of events ) rather than seeing him as the one who staves off destruction, we tread on thin ice. Why is that the case? Because it means God interferes with the free choice he has given men by manipulating.
I don't think God is a manipulator at all. It is Satan who manipulates man's view so that the responsibility for evil is put onto God. Isn't that what happened in Eden?

The OT prophets saw God as orchestrating evil. I'm persuaded they were in error.....and that persuasion comes from how Jesus portrayed his Father.....and it was not one of being a manipulator.
But the verses below states that God orchestrates it here they are again

Luke 19
44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.”

Jesus said “because you did not recognize the time of God coming to you”

That is indisputable there was a price to pay for rejecting and killing their God and Messiah

Revelation 17

Jesus gave the angel these words to tell John “For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority,”

So once again it is indisputable thus either you are wrong or Jesus is wrong

Now this is still the same God that you believe in so you’re task is to figure out why this Loving God that the bible shows did this

I believe that the reason is is that God knew that Israel as a whole were too far gone He knew that if they rejected and killed their God and Messiah nothing would change. This was an act of Love tough love from a loving God to at least save some because they knew that they were being judged these ones would of finally released who Jesus was and repented

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you explain a sharp sword that comes out of the mouth of the King? Revelation 19;21 Half the mountain moves to the north, half moves to the south so the river of Life flows through. Zechariah 14;8 , Revelation 22;1. It will be a cloud large enough to carry the army of heaven, not inconceivable to cover the whole of Israel.
It's just as @quietthinker said above - its a metaphor symbolizing Christ's ability to cut his enemies in pieces with His pronounced word. After all, Moses's prediction to the nation of Israel was that whoever would not hear Christ's prophetic words would be "completely cut off" from among the people (Acts 3:22-23).

And Zechariah did not say that a literal river of Life would flow through a cleft in the Mount of Olives. He wrote that living water would go out "from Jerusalem", in the two directions of both the "hinder" Mediterranean Sea (connected with the pagan nations) and towards the "former" Dead Sea (connected with the nation of Judea). Christ directly referred to this Zechariah 14:8 prophecy in John 7:38-39 when he spoke of the "rivers of living water" flowing from the belly of those who believe in Him. This "river" was spoken about the Holy Spirit - not a literal river of water. That river of living water coming from (the NEW) Jerusalem in Zech. 14:8 was the spread of the Holy Spirit's work in believers who were living in both the Gentile nations as well as in Judea.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ll probably have to let this one set for a while. a few things I do want to say is first I’m not saying “loss” is about salvation status. I only meant there is going to be loss because I’ve felt it too. Like the verse in (I get it was written to the twelve tribes but it’s helpful imo for our learning) James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into diverse temptations; [3] Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience. [4] But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
I’ve heard to be careful in praying for patience. That learning patience is no fun but painful.

I reread what I wrote "I believe every thing built upon the foundation that is not of Christ will suffer loss.” I can see how that sounds like I meant it’s unbelievers (what’s not of Christ) that suffers loss. I didn’t mean it that way but instead what remains in believers that is not of Him is done away with.

I used Paul as an example because of how he spoke on all his fleshly accomplishments-how he spelled those fleshly accomplishments out for us. I see that as the wood, hay, and stubble. For example if I wanted to list all the theological achievements I have obtained. All the schooling and degrees I have achieved. All the doctrinal mountains I’ve climbed …none of that true but only an example. If I had all that backing my name as an authority or Voice qualified to be heard …what I hear Paul saying is that is all dung. Same applies to fleshly opinions and what I think I’ve achieved…so if you think I’m saying we add to our salvation status. That’s not true. all I’m saying is there will be loss. “He who suffers in the flesh has cease from sin”? A giving up ‘putting off. of something, gaining something better.

Maybe that doesn’t answer your comment very well. What I meant mostly is what I have been instructed or heard: is the one who suffers loss of his works being burned, and is he himself saved, even as by fire.
^is those unbelievers destroyed by fire-questioning what “he himself saved by fire—means. See what I’ve heard is suggesting believers don’t suffer the loss of their works burned by fire.
But as you said I don’t think it’s unbelievers in “if any man suffers the loss” “he himself will be saved” “even as by fire” 1 Peter 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

I do still believe Paul spoke of the loss of all things —but counted those things dung to win Christ.
I really did not understand why you applied Paul's 'loss' of his self-righteous works in Philippians with this main topic? It has nothing to do with it.

This is a different path you found and now has stepped it..

In Phil 3:5-6,
(Php 3:4) Though I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If any other man thinks to have confidence in the flesh, I yet more.
(Php 3:5) Circumcised the eighth day, of Israelite stock, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews. As touching the law, a Pharisee.
(Php 3:6) As touching zeal, persecuting the church. As touching the righteousness which is in the law, found blameless.

Paul considered his Pharisaic works as a 'gain' to win the law, and never considered Christ as any 'gain' until he met Christ, and then he realized what his previous works really meant.

Paul is reflecting on his works under the law and when he persecuted Christ's followers whilst under the law.. Now that he is under Christ, these previous works counted as trash, useless as a 'loss' not a gain to 'win' Christ. He explained the difference clearly. Under the law his works were considered lawful get self-righteous and was a 'gain.'. Under Christ, 'gain' means works of the righteousness of God NOT the LAW.

So it pains Paul to reflect on his previous life and regrets it dearly.

Thus:
(Php 3:7) However, what things were gain to me, these have I counted loss for Christ.
(Php 3:8) Yes indeed, I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ,
(Php 3:9) and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own which is of the law, but which is through faith in Christ- the righteousness which is from God by faith;

No do not carried away with these translated word 'all things.' It meant the things he did in his persecution of the Church only. Paul is NOT speaking of any 'loss' or works under Christ!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really did not understand why you applied Paul's 'loss' of his self-righteous works in Philippians with this main topic? It has nothing to do with it.

This is a different path you found and now has stepped it..

In Phil 3:5-6,
(Php 3:4) Though I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If any other man thinks to have confidence in the flesh, I yet more.
(Php 3:5) Circumcised the eighth day, of Israelite stock, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews. As touching the law, a Pharisee.
(Php 3:6) As touching zeal, persecuting the church. As touching the righteousness which is in the law, found blameless.

Paul considered his Pharisaic works as a 'gain' to win the law, and never considered Christ as any 'gain' until he met Christ, and then he realized what his previous works really meant.

Paul is reflecting on his works under the law and when he persecuted Christ's followers whilst under the law.. Now that he is under Christ, these previous works counted as trash, useless as a 'loss' not a gain to 'win' Christ. He explained the difference clearly. Under the law his works were considered lawful get self-righteous and was a 'gain.'. Under Christ, 'gain' means works of the righteousness of God NOT the LAW.

So it pains Paul to reflect on his previous life and regrets it dearly.

Thus:
(Php 3:7) However, what things were gain to me, these have I counted loss for Christ.
(Php 3:8) Yes indeed, I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ,
(Php 3:9) and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own which is of the law, but which is through faith in Christ- the righteousness which is from God by faith;

No do not carried away with these translated word 'all things.' It meant the things he did in his persecution of the Church only. Paul is NOT speaking of any 'loss' or works under Christ!
You’re right it has nothing to do with the topic.

Where you said that only applied to how Paul persecuted the church. persecution can happen any day of the week, where you never know when you may be harming a child of His.

I bow out of the conversation. A definite on the topic isn’t going to be decided; no one can agree. Is this ‘no one agreeing’ with ‘one another’ a sign?

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re right it has nothing to do with the topic.

Where you said that only applied to how Paul persecuted the church. persecution can happen any day of the week, where you never know when you may be harming a child of His.

I bow out of the conversation. A definite on the topic isn’t going to be decided; no one can agree. The only thing I know to do is read the word for yourself.
Yes, persecution can happen to anyone at any time. This is not the point though. And persecution of believers even by other believers, although that would be rare, is but only one act of self-righteous. It can take many forms. The point is that Paul was not speaking in this scripture about any self-righteous acts he committed since he met Christ, and I'm sure there were some he might have said if that was his purpose, and it was not.

And this is not some scripture to them imagine, and extend out to all situations that sound like what it might be saying. If you want to take it out of context and then apply it as a general principle to many subjects, it can become chaotic and confusing very quickly.

Look, any unrighteous act I do, is a 'loss' and does not help me 'win' Christ either if that makes you see this point. Although today, self-righteous acts are not common to me today, as I grow older. I'm still 'winning' or gaining Christ VIJ in the long run; pun intended. Do you see this other point I believe you are also wanting answered in Pauls' words.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, persecution can happen to anyone at any time. This is not the point though. And persecution of believers even by other believers, although that would be rare, is but only one act of self-righteous. It can take many forms. The point is that Paul was not speaking in this scripture about any self-righteous acts he committed since he met Christ, and I'm sure there were some he might have said if that was his purpose, and it was not.

And this is not some scripture to them imagine, and extend out to all situations that sound like what it might be saying. If you want to take it out of context and then apply it as a general principle to many subjects, it can become chaotic and confusing very quickly.

Look, any unrighteous act I do, is a 'loss' and does not help me 'win' Christ either if that makes you see this point. Although today, self-righteous acts are not common to me today, as I grow older. I'm still 'winning' or gaining Christ VIJ in the long run; pun intended. Do you see this other point I believe you are also wanting answered in Pauls' words.
I’m not sure what you want me to see. Do you mean Paul’s loss came prior to meeting Christ? Or after? I think after because prior to meeting Christ…Saul wasn’t even aware of “Saul, Why do you persecute Me?” Saul bumping right along unaware like the widow in the Revelation of Jesus Christ who says “I sit a Queen and am no widow.”

I do see a drastic change in Paul’s diminishing self-righteousness after meeting Christ. Whether or not he ever still struggled with being tempted with self-righteousness …not to start a debated but considering how often he was goaded to boast in himself, and how Paul speaks of given a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of satan, to keep him from thinking too highly of himself—tempted to be self-righteous may have still been present.

Does any of that touch on what you are wanting me to see? Did I misunderstand that you are wanting me to see Paul didn’t suffer loss after meeting Christ because, after meeting Christ he wasn’t speaking of self-righteousness as loss? If that was the point. Then why does Paul go heavy on “to be found in Him not having my own righteousness —-but the righteousness that comes from God”. I think I’m seriously missing the point. Are you saying Paul can’t be as one who ‘if any suffers loss, he himself is saved, even so by fire’?

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not sure what you want me to see. Do you mean Paul’s loss came prior to meeting Christ? Or after? I think after because prior to meeting Christ…Saul wasn’t even aware of “Saul, Why do you persecute Me?” Saul bumping right along unaware like the widow in the Revelation of Jesus Christ who says “I sit a Queen and am no widow.”

I do see a drastic change in Paul’s diminishing self-righteousness after meeting Christ. Whether or not he ever still struggled with being tempted with self-righteousness …not to start a debated but considering how often he was goaded to boast in himself, and how Paul speaks of given a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of satan, to keep him from thinking too highly of himself—tempted to be self-righteous may have still been present.

Does any of that touch on what you are wanting me to see? Did I misunderstand that you are wanting me to see Paul didn’t suffer loss after meeting Christ because, after meeting Christ he wasn’t speaking of self-righteousness as loss? If that was the point. Then why does Paul go heavy on “to be found in Him not having my own righteousness —-but the righteousness that comes from God”. I think I’m seriously missing the point. Are you saying Paul can’t be as one who ‘if any suffers loss, he himself is saved, even so by fire’?
I really do not know what you are trying to show by bringing up this section scripture from the beginning, with the the entire idea of Paul's loss. I'm just trying to accommodate you in describing what I think of this scripture and its meaning in the hope you will find was you are looking for. I'm not searching for anything. I already know what Paul was saying to his audience.

And he only realized his previous works, only after he came to Christ, were a 'loss' for the cause of Christ, and not before. This was his teaching concerning anyone's works of self-righteousness versus works of righteousness from God through Christ. Whether he was doing self-righteous acts as a Pharisee or not and justify these works as being part of the law or not, whether he was even a Pharisee or not, makes no difference. Self-righteous works are always wrong and of no gain if in Christ or not, even if one is under the law or not.

So I agree with your assessment, although I do not know where you are going next with all this, and for what purpose. That's the only puzzling part to me right now.

And then at the end of your post you add an extended thought into the entire discussion by speaking of Paul being saved as if by fire! This now adds to some confusion. As I really do not know what you might mean here.

This is another area of scripture and it does apply to this current scripture, and discussion of self-righteous deeds as works that will always be burned, and his salvation is still secure. Paul has the spirit of God and his Son of course, else without it he would surely be dying in his sins, as every unbeliever.