She had at least a thousand selfies...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was active on Facebook years ago, no posts got more likes and comments than selfies.

Later, I looked at most of them and hated the look I saw in my eyes.

They were hungry eyes. They demanded attention and admiration for the look. Although I had way less than a thousand, I couldn't help but notice that most men did not feel the need to do this.

I also noticed that married women with the healthiest marriages had a lot less or none. They shared pictures of themselves with their husbands/children as their profile.

The intention of selfies may not be to advertise, but random men sending flirty messages is the result.

Also, imagine going to someone's house, and the walls were just full of selfie photos of that person?

I think that's the effect my profile was giving whether I intended to or not. They reminded me of a time when I was more vain and insecure, so most of them are gone now. Have not posted one since.

I definitely think Christian women seeking dates should feel free to share photos of how they look and dress wisely. A friend taking the photo instead of them taking it themselves would make it even better.

When photographers want to highlight women's beauty...do they have them take selfies? Or do they try to capture them having fun, smiling at their surroundings, enjoying nature, or looking "in the moment"?

There's nothing inherently wrong with selfies but they often reveal an ugly side of us. It could be immodesty, or just a raw obsession with the attention and validation of others.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was active on Facebook years ago, no posts got more likes and comments than selfies.

They were hungry eyes. They demanded attention and admiration for the look. Although I had way less than a thousand, I couldn't help but notice that most men did not feel the need to do this.

I also noticed that married women with the healthiest marriages had a lot less or none. They shared pictures of themselves with their husbands/children as their profile.

The intention of selfies may not be to advertise, but random men sending flirty messages is the result.

Also, imagine going to someone's house, and the walls were just full of selfie photos of that person?

I think that's the effect my profile was giving whether I intended to or not. They reminded me of a time when I was more vain and insecure, so most of them are gone now. Have not posted one since.

I definitely think Christian women seeking dates should feel free to share photos of how they look and dress wisely. A friend taking the photo instead of them taking it themselves would make it even better.

When photographers want to highlight women's beauty...do they have them take selfies? Or do they try to capture them having fun, smiling at their surroundings, enjoying nature, or looking "in the moment"?

There's nothing inherently wrong with selfies but they often reveal an ugly side of us. It could be immodesty, or just a raw obsession with the attention and validation of others.
I agree. You have stumbled onto one of my soap box issues. Selfie people are not happy people, it is "look at me, look at me". It is the same with YouTube videos. I view many as "look at me, I made a video". Then try to advertise to get more subscribers and likes. Then same with Facebook. Really? if you need "likes", you are insecure. Rant over.

• Haha
Reactions: Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. You have stumbled onto one of my soap box issues. Selfie people are not happy people, it is "look at me, look at me". It is the same with YouTube videos. I view many as "look at me, I made a video". Then try to advertise to get more subscribers and likes. Then same with Facebook. Really? if you need "likes", you are insecure. Rant over.
Nice rant. lol

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Notice what's got your attention Wynona! Is that really where you wanna be?