Return of the Ten Commandments to American schools? - Louisiana leads the way

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess we'll see where folks stand on religious liberty—or, in the case of most political conservatives—RELIGIOUS ENTITLEMENT.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess we'll see where folks stand on religious liberty—or, in the case of most political conservatives—RELIGIOUS ENTITLEMENT.

I thought the suggestion that the TCs belong on display next to other historic documents of note was a good comment. Our legal system is based on much of it.

I think there is quite a bit of misunderstanding of the meaning of the TCs. Displaying them won't solve that problem. The TCs are open to broad and varied interpretation. But, if it promotes discussion, I suppose that's a good thing.

Imagine being the child viewing them for the first time and wondering what they are about. We take them for granted.

/

Reactions: BarneyFife

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine being the child viewing them for the first time and wondering what they are about. We take them for granted.

Maybe it would help instill some values into their young minds? Much better than all of the mass shootings and other horrible crimes being committed these years by young people.

I heard on Dr. Phil Primetime about a gang of affluent youths in Arizona. They pick on other young people to beat up and attack them without mercy. Even using brass knuckles and stomping the victims on their heads!

Lordsflower

May 27, 2024
Bahn
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
I do not believe the ten commandments are necessarily the exclusive domain of Abrahamic religion.

I think at least eight of the ten are relatable to a moral secular society.

Whereas the two additional commands relate to religious faith and yet could easily be seen as common sense for faithfulness to any spiritual identity.

Love that deity or deities of choice with all our heart and mind.

Graven images could be exclusive to monotheistic practice.

Other than that, maybe reiterating moral ideas is a great thing for American public schools that don't appear to provide a lot of input in that regard.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They should've written the legislation in a way that allows the Ten Commandments to de displayed instead of making it mandatory. It's not the State's place to mandate religion. I would be happy to see the Ten Commandments to return to schools, but not like this. It should be left up to each community and their values.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They should've written the legislation in a way that allows the Ten Commandments to de displayed instead of making it mandatory. It's not the State's place to mandate religion. I would be happy to see the Ten Commandments to return to schools, but not like this. It should be left up to each community and their values.
It could be argued that placing the TCs with other documents of historic importance is not mandating religion in the schools. No one is being asked to comply with the TCs as I understand it.

]

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trump chimes in on the ten commandments in schools. He's right...some kids probably never have heard of them!

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks to all for this discussion.

Question: suppose you were tasked with teaching the 10 Commandments in a public school, without promoting religion?

How would you proceed? For example, could you teach the first commandment in a way that was religiously and secularly neutral? Ditto Commandments 2 - 4. (And Commandment 5 could easily get you in hot water with the LGBT… folks.)

Looking forward to ideas.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just wondering how many people who favor the mandating of the Ten Commandments is schools would be okay with the State mandating that the five pillars of Islam must be displayed.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just wondering how many people who favor the mandating of the Ten Commandments is schools would be okay with the State mandating that the five pillars of Islam must be displayed.
Thanks for your question.

The five pillars are Islam are profession of faith, prayer, almsgiving, fasting, pilgrimage.

If they are explained in a neutral way, why not?

In fact, it would be educational for American children to learn about all world religions.

But it must be stressed that the 10 Commandments are foundational for the United States.

Blessings and Peace.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it must be stressed that the 10 Commandments are foundational for the United States.
No they're not. Where are the Ten Commandments listed in any foundational documents as part of America's founding? The words Jesus, Christianity, or the Ten Commandments simply aren't there. What is there is there is the separation of church and state.

You say you'd be okay with the five pillars of Islam being mandated; I must say I have a hard time believing this. The argument for the Ten Commandments is pretty much along the same lines as what you're saying: that is, children need to learn about the history of religions. If you say Islam shouldn't be treated the same way, there goes your argument. If it was mandated that the history of Islam must be taught to elementary school students, everyone knows there would be such an uproar we'd never hear the end of it.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you your response.

Actually, the 10 Commandments are foundational for Western Civilization, and thus for the United States.

Teach history of religion as well as understanding what the beliefs mean? Absolutely. But again, realize what is foundational.

Peace and blessings.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they're not. Where are the Ten Commandments listed in any foundational documents as part of America's founding? The words Jesus, Christianity, or the Ten Commandments simply aren't there. What is there is there is the separation of church and state.

You say you'd be okay with the five pillars of Islam being mandated; I must say I have a hard time believing this. The argument for the Ten Commandments is pretty much along the same lines as what you're saying: that is, children need to learn about the history of religions. If you say Islam shouldn't be treated the same way, there goes your argument. If it was mandated that the history of Islam must be taught to elementary school students, everyone knows there would be such an uproar we'd never hear the end of it.
The 10 commandments are the words of God, the 5 pillars of Islam are made by man.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard that the ten commandments displays in Louisiana will be funded by private donations.

Look at liberal Whoopi Goldberg rage against the commandments in schools. I guess she would rather have the mass shootings in schools continue. Plus now there are even more types of crimes being committed by younger people.

Brief video.