Jehovah is missing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PS95

Jun 16, 2024
Eastern Shore
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've noticed an oddity. I'm familiar with many in the Jehovahs witness religion. When they post on these forums they very rarely use Jehovah. (which is not a translation, but an invention from a Catholic monk who made a mistake) Any who are familiar with Jws know that they can't help but to use this name incessantly. As a matter of fact, one of their central teachings is to make that name known.
However for some reason on these forums they don't use it much at all. Why would that be? It seems perhaps they don't want to be recognized. Just curious.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I've noticed an oddity. I'm familiar with many in the Jehovahs witness religion. When they post on these forums they very rarely use Jehovah. (which is not a translation, but an invention from a Catholic monk who made a mistake) Any who are familiar with Jws know that they can't help but to use this name incessantly. As a matter of fact, one of their central teachings is to make that name known.
However for some reason on these forums they don't use it much at all. Why would that be? It seems perhaps they don't want to be recognized. Just curious.
Origin and Development of the Term "Jehovah"
Hebrew Origins:

The original Hebrew name for God is represented by the Tetragrammaton "YHWH" (יהוה). This name is considered sacred and is often translated as "LORD" in English Bibles.
Ancient Hebrew texts did not include vowels, so the exact pronunciation of YHWH was not preserved. Over time, Jewish tradition avoided pronouncing this name to show reverence, instead using titles like "Adonai" (Lord) or "Elohim" (God).
Masoretic Text and Vowel Points:

In the early medieval period, Jewish scribes known as the Masoretes developed a system of vowel points to aid in the pronunciation of Hebrew scripture. They added the vowel points of "Adonai" to the consonants YHWH as a reminder to say "Adonai" when reading the text.
This combination of YHWH with the vowel points of Adonai resulted in the hybrid form "Yehowah."
Latinization and "Jehovah":

During the Renaissance and Reformation, Christian scholars began studying Hebrew texts more intensively. In 1520, Peter Galatin, a Catholic writer, used "Jehovah" in his work "De Arcanis Catholicae Veritatis."
This form was adopted into early translations of the Bible, including the 1530 edition of William Tyndale's English translation of the Pentateuch.
Acceptance and Use:

"Jehovah" became more widely accepted in English-speaking Christian traditions. The King James Version (1611) uses "Jehovah" in a few places (e.g., Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4).
However, modern biblical scholarship and translations tend to use "Yahweh" or "LORD" (in all capitals) to more accurately reflect the original Hebrew.
Theological and Scholarly Perspectives
Jewish Tradition: In Judaism, the name YHWH is considered ineffable and sacred. "Adonai" or "HaShem" (The Name) are commonly used substitutes in prayer and scripture reading.
Christian Tradition: Different Christian denominations have various practices regarding the use of "Jehovah." Some, like the Jehovah's Witnesses, emphasize "Jehovah" as God's personal name, while others prefer "Yahweh" or "LORD."
Key Points in Summary
Tetragrammaton (YHWH): The original Hebrew name for God, considered sacred and traditionally not pronounced.
Masoretic Tradition: Added vowel points of "Adonai" to YHWH, leading to "Yehowah."
Latinization: Christian scholars in the Renaissance and Reformation popularized "Jehovah."
Modern Scholarship: Prefers "Yahweh" or "LORD" to more accurately reflect the Hebrew original.
Conclusion
The term "Jehovah" is not found in the original Hebrew Bible but is a result of historical linguistic development and translation practices. Its usage illustrates the intersection of reverence, tradition, and scholarship in the transmission and understanding of sacred texts.

PS95

Jun 16, 2024
Eastern Shore
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Origin and Development of the Term "Jehovah"
Hebrew Origins:

The original Hebrew name for God is represented by the Tetragrammaton "YHWH" (יהוה). This name is considered sacred and is often translated as "LORD" in English Bibles.
Ancient Hebrew texts did not include vowels, so the exact pronunciation of YHWH was not preserved. Over time, Jewish tradition avoided pronouncing this name to show reverence, instead using titles like "Adonai" (Lord) or "Elohim" (God).
Masoretic Text and Vowel Points:

In the early medieval period, Jewish scribes known as the Masoretes developed a system of vowel points to aid in the pronunciation of Hebrew scripture. They added the vowel points of "Adonai" to the consonants YHWH as a reminder to say "Adonai" when reading the text.
This combination of YHWH with the vowel points of Adonai resulted in the hybrid form "Yehowah."
Latinization and "Jehovah":

During the Renaissance and Reformation, Christian scholars began studying Hebrew texts more intensively. In 1520, Peter Galatin, a Catholic writer, used "Jehovah" in his work "De Arcanis Catholicae Veritatis."
This form was adopted into early translations of the Bible, including the 1530 edition of William Tyndale's English translation of the Pentateuch.
Acceptance and Use:

"Jehovah" became more widely accepted in English-speaking Christian traditions. The King James Version (1611) uses "Jehovah" in a few places (e.g., Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4).
However, modern biblical scholarship and translations tend to use "Yahweh" or "LORD" (in all capitals) to more accurately reflect the original Hebrew.
Jewish Tradition: In Judaism, the name YHWH is considered ineffable and sacred. "Adonai" or "HaShem" (The Name) are commonly used substitutes in prayer and scripture reading.
Christian Tradition: Different Christian denominations have various practices regarding the use of "Jehovah." Some, like the Jehovah's Witnesses, emphasize "Jehovah" as God's personal name, while others prefer "Yahweh" or "LORD."
Key Points in Summary
Tetragrammaton (YHWH): The original Hebrew name for God, considered sacred and traditionally not pronounced.
Masoretic Tradition: Added vowel points of "Adonai" to YHWH, leading to "Yehowah."
Latinization: Christian scholars in the Renaissance and Reformation popularized "Jehovah."
Modern Scholarship: Prefers "Yahweh" or "LORD" to more accurately reflect the Hebrew original.
Conclusion
The term "Jehovah" is not found in the original Hebrew Bible but is a result of historical linguistic development and translation practices. Its usage illustrates the intersection of reverence, tradition, and scholarship in the transmission and understanding of sacred texts.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, Johann. It was a catholic monk in the 1300's who first used the wrong vowels and inserted them into the tetragrammaton.
This is a great site
www.tetragrammaton.org
Jesus is the only name we need to be saved! Acts 4:12

Reactions: Johann

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So apparently if you use the KJV, (the only true Bible for so many) you will have no problem using the English version of the divine name in the English translations....? No one objects to the transliteration either so what is the excuse for not saying it at all? It has been eliminated from almost all modern translations...which speaks volumes, doesn’t it? At least the Jews retained it in their Scripture...which is more than Christendom does.

Who does not want God’s name known and used freely and with due reverence? The OT Bible writers certainly had no compunction in addressing Jehovah/Yahweh by name....almost 7,000 times! That is a lot of substitution for a name that was never supposed to go out of human speech.

After all, there is no “J” in Hebrew so all the names beginning with “J” in the Bible must of necessity be eliminated for those who balk over the name “Jehovah”.....Jesus is also a “J” name, so it should be eliminated as well......? How ridiculous do we need to get?
Your own name is not said with the “J” sound, is it Johann?
Where and when did this “Jewish tradition” originate? Where was Israel ever told that God’s name was too sacred to be uttered? Is that what God told Moses in connection with his name?

From the Jewish Tanakh.....Exodus 3:13-15....

13 And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"יגוַיֹּ֨אמֶר משֶׁ֜ה אֶל־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֗ים הִנֵּ֨ה אָֽנֹכִ֣י בָא֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְאָֽמַרְתִּ֣י לָהֶ֔ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם וְאָֽמְרוּ־לִ֣י מַה־שְּׁמ֔וֹ מָ֥ה אֹמַ֖ר אֲלֵהֶֽם:
14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:
15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation.טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣י לְעֹלָ֔ם וְזֶ֥ה זִכְרִ֖י לְדֹ֥ר דֹּֽר:

יְהֹוָ֞ה” is “The Lord God” in verse 15.
And God’s eternal name was to be “mentioned in every generation”....so where was permission given to stop saying it? Was there a scriptural reason to “lose” it? Was it lost forever or only for a time?
Jesus said he had “come to make his Father’s name known” to his disciples......so did he?
When Jesus got up in the synagogue to read from the Hebrew Scriptures, would he have substituted God’s name for a mere title? (John 17:6, 11) Would he have followed a man made tradition that he condemned the Pharisees for? (Matt 15:7-9)

It was said that the rabbis could say the name only when reading scripture or in prayer.....so if this is true, then the true pronunciation was not really lost until after Jesus and his apostles died....allowing the foretold apostasy to do what it did to Christianity. Modern day Jews are far removed from their roots and are divided in their beliefs, but not quite as much as Christendom.
They say if you ask a dozen Jews a question, you will receive a dozen answers...and they would all be right.....

Johann said:
For us, it’s not the pronunciation that matters, otherwise no one could say Jesus instead of Yeshua, because that would also be “taking God’s name in vain” for obvious reasons.
It’s what the name signifies in your language...English is not the only language into which the Bible is translated. Many versions of God’s name and Jesus’ name are different in the various languages.
God recognises his name in all languages because he is the inventor of all language.

Key Points in Summary
Conclusion
Again...we make no apology for how we use and promote the divine name as Jesus did in his own language to his own people. It was the first thing mentioned in the Lord’s Prayer.....it doesn’t say “hallowed be they title”....it says “hallowed be thy name”....how do you sanctify a name you never use?

The Jews took God’s laws to ridiculous extremes as many do today....all practiced from human tradition, not Biblical instruction. Orthodox Jews have a litany of rituals to perform before they walk out of their front door in the morning. And if you happen to live in a tall building that is not mindful of Jewish tradition, you can’t go anywhere on the Sabbath because you aren’t allowed to push a button to select your floor. And you can only walk a certain distance.
In Jewish constructions the lifts are programmed to stop at every floor so you don’t break the Sabbath.....any wonder Jesus said that they invalidated God’s word because of their traditions....”straining at gnats and gulping down camels”......how on earth are such ridiculous behaviours acceptable to God? What do they accomplish?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Acts 4:12.....
“Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”
No other name?

Acts 2:19-21....ESV...speaking of the day of judgment to come, Peter quoted the prophet Joel....
“And I will show wonders in the heavens aboveand signs on the earth below,blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke; the sun shall be turned to darknessand the moon to blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’”

Whose name are we to be calling on here for salvation?

According to the Jewish Tanakh.....that passage in Joel says.....
The sun shall turn to darkness, and the moon to blood, prior to the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord. דהַשֶּׁ֙מֶשׁ֙ יֵהָפֵ֣ךְ לְחֹ֔שֶׁךְ וְהַיָּרֵ֖חַ לְדָ֑ם לִפְנֵ֗י בּוֹא י֣וֹם יְהֹוָ֔ה הַגָּד֖וֹל וְהַנּוֹרָֽא:
And it shall come to pass that whoever shall call in the name of the Lord shall be delivered, for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be a deliverance, as the Lord said, and among the survivors whom the Lord invites. הוְהָיָ֗ה כֹּ֧ל אֲשֶׁר־יִקְרָ֛א בְּשֵׁ֥ם יְהֹוָ֖ה יִמָּלֵ֑ט כִּ֠י בְּהַר־צִיּ֨וֹן וּבִירֽוּשָׁלִַ֜ם תִּֽהְיֶ֣ה פְלֵיטָ֗ה כַּֽאֲשֶׁר֙ אָמַ֣ר יְהֹוָ֔ה וּבַ֨שְּׂרִידִ֔ים אֲשֶׁ֥ר יְהֹוָ֖ה קֹרֵֽא:

So, calling on the name of Yahweh/Jehovah is also necessary, because he is the one who “sent” the savior. (John 17:3) In the name of the redeemer we are saved, but also in the name of the one who sent him. Yahweh is the God of Jesus. (John 20:17; Rev 3:12)

PS95

Jun 16, 2024
Eastern Shore
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 4:12.....
“Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”
No other name?

Acts 2:19-21....ESV...speaking of the day of judgment to come, Peter quoted the prophet Joel....
“And I will show wonders in the heavens aboveand signs on the earth below,blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke; the sun shall be turned to darknessand the moon to blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’”

Whose name are we to be calling on here for salvation?

According to the Jewish Tanakh.....that passage in Joel says.....
The sun shall turn to darkness, and the moon to blood, prior to the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.דהַשֶּׁ֙מֶשׁ֙ יֵהָפֵ֣ךְ לְחֹ֔שֶׁךְ וְהַיָּרֵ֖חַ לְדָ֑ם לִפְנֵ֗י בּוֹא י֣וֹם יְהֹוָ֔ה הַגָּד֖וֹל וְהַנּוֹרָֽא:
And it shall come to pass that whoever shall call in the name of the Lord shall be delivered, for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be a deliverance, as the Lord said, and among the survivors whom the Lord invites.הוְהָיָ֗ה כֹּ֧ל אֲשֶׁר־יִקְרָ֛א בְּשֵׁ֥ם יְהֹוָ֖ה יִמָּלֵ֑ט כִּ֠י בְּהַר־צִיּ֨וֹן וּבִירֽוּשָׁלִַ֜ם תִּֽהְיֶ֣ה פְלֵיטָ֗ה כַּֽאֲשֶׁר֙ אָמַ֣ר יְהֹוָ֔ה וּבַ֨שְּׂרִידִ֔ים אֲשֶׁ֥ר יְהֹוָ֖ה קֹרֵֽא:

So, calling on the name of Yahweh/Jehovah is also necessary, because he is the one who “sent” the savior. (John 17:3) In the name of the redeemer we are saved, but also in the name of the one who sent him. Yahweh is the God of Jesus. (John 20:17; Rev 3:12)

I will reply to you this once. From now on though please refrain from posting on any of my threads.
Is that mean? OR DO YOU HAVE UNEVEN SCALES? You announced my shunning on my thread here- Q for JW- KIEW?
I will NOT put up with you on my threads diverting the topic with long dissertations with others while shunning me. Fair is fair.
I don't know if you even see a reply from me as you have ignored my other posts lately. A true shunner wouldnt be reading my threads at all.
THE QUESTION IS WHY DO YOU (and Jw friends) NOT USE JEHOVAH ON THESE BOARDS? YOU ALL IN COGNITO???!
seems odd from "a people for His name." ya know?
cause I was taught that you still use it even though it's wrong because it's so accepted by everyone.... at least that's what the Watchtower said. So why the hiding?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I will reply to you this once. From now on though please refrain from posting on any of my threads.
Is that mean? OR DO YOU HAVE UNEVEN SCALES? You announced my shunning on my thread here- Q for JW- KIEW?
I will NOT put up with you on my threads diverting the topic with long dissertations with others while shunning me. Fair is fair.
I don't know if you even see a reply from me as you have ignored my other posts lately. A true shunner wouldnt be reading my threads at all.
THE QUESTION IS WHY DO YOU (and Jw friends) NOT USE JEHOVAH ON THESE BOARDS? YOU ALL IN COGNITO???!
seems odd from "a people for His name." ya know?
cause I was taught that you still use it even though it's wrong because it's so accepted by everyone.... at least that's what the Watchtower said. So why the hiding?
Are you for real or is your name Karen?

If a scripture is raised in anyone’s thread, it is open for discussion.....who made you special?

You sound like a three year old throwing a tantrum cuz someone stole your candy....you’re just a drama queen.

I use Jehovah’s name quite often on these boards.....but when scripture is used in a thread, I prefer to use a translation that the poster will accept because they might have heard from others, the erroneous claim that the NWT is not accurate, so if they get the scripture from their own accepted translations, I can’t be accused of using just my own Bible.....incognito?....why would I be hiding? Are you serious?

You’ve been here for 5 minutes and your personal vendetta is very obvious.....but it has no place in these discussions.....what have you shown yourself to be?......a bitter and hateful slanderer, way too focussed on yourself and not really interested in changing your ways. Perhaps this is why your JW family won’t speak to you....maybe it’s not them......it’s probably you.

Get me booted off again...I really don’t care.