I hate myself, and hate being an atheist.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Love your neighbor as yourself.”

(Mark 12:31)

If a person truly hates himself or herself, how will that person love their neighbor?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Love your neighbor as yourself.”

(Mark 12:31)

If a person truly hates himself or herself, how will that person love their neighbor?
Ephesians 5:29 KJV
For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

People may say they hate themselves. People say all sorts of things.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

Taking it too literally. Plenty of people hate themselves. In fact, most haters primarily hate themselves. They just project it on others.

I think the Bible is talking about rational people. Psychology services are at an all time high AND overwhelmed by demand.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Taking it too literally. Plenty of people hate themselves. In fact, most haters primarily hate themselves. They just project it on others.

I think the Bible is talking about rational people. Psychology services are at an all time high AND overwhelmed by demand.

Your comment brought to mind the story of the demon possessed man in Mark 5:1-20.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Much love!

I’m not a psychiatrist but I don’t think a person of sound mind would truly hate himself or herself. Hating certain aspects of their life is probably what most people who say they hate themselves are talking about. (That’s been my pastoral experience.) Such persons would surely take care of their bodily needs, to a greater or lesser extent.

A person who loves himself or herself little would love their neighbor little.

We should be able to agree that that’s not what Jesus had in mind.

Before conversion, people love themselves selfishly. After conversion, people should love themselves and others sacrificially.

He wants his disciples to love themselves and their neighbor wholly.

Last edited: