Friendly Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 1

The words are to "O Theophilus" meaning "friend of God." Which is to say, to one who was then in the local context friendly to God. But now being part and parcel as the eternal word from God, the greater context is also to include all who are friends of God. In other words the book of Acts was not to enemies "already at work" within the church, but specifically to those who are friends of God (1 John 4:3, 2 Peter 2:1, 2 Thessalonians 2:7).

Remembering that there are two different contexts for what follows, one local of that time, but also for all included until the end of time: then came the confirmation that Christ gave of His sending the Holy Spirit, soon to come.

The narrative then goes immediately to the transition point between flesh and spirit, showing Jesus becoming "firstfruits" of those born [again] of the spirit of God. When Jesus came saying, "Follow Me"--this is where He was going--and this is where all who would be born again of the spirit of God are to be lined up and following. The indication of this is made known by Jesus being taken up and a "cloud" receiving Him. Another indication is the enactment and mention of "forty days." Forty days is a reference to the forty years Israel wandered in the desert before entering into the promised land. Which Israel had done in the world and in the flesh, which pointed to that moment of Jesus entering into heaven (being the spiritual realm and rest of God). The "cloud" signified this just as it did in the desert, by day. These things were made manifest here again by God to show what is otherwise unseen according to Jesus' explanation of "everyone who is born of the spirit", meaning: invisible (John 3:8). The distinction here that is most commonly made in error, is that because these things were made manifest and visible for a witness, is that He entered or inherited the kingdom in the flesh, against what Jesus had previously explained. In other words, you can't have it both ways, and no, Jesus did not contradict Himself. As the greatest act of spiritual transition unto God as firstfruits--not the firstfruits of flesh but of the spirit--He could have just made it all only visible in the spirit and otherwise invisible to men of flesh and blood. But then there would have been no clear direction as to all that was intended and included in "Follow Me." This was the "like manner" by which Jesus would return, referred to by the two men standing by in white apparel. All of which was to be included in the witness given unto the ends of the earth.

The explanation then given by Peter regarding Judas was in reference to Satan, who just as Jesus was cut off in the middle of the times of this world, was also cut off...in the middle (Acts 1:18). Just as Jesus would then go to the Father and come forth in spirit to those who would answer His knocking at the door (Revelation 3:20), as the fulfilment of God pouring out His spirit upon all flesh as foretold by Joel (Joel 2:28), announced by Jesus, and confirmed by Peter--Satan too was poured out. Thus, these times of the gentiles where the Holy Spirit and the spirit of antiChrist coexist as wheat among tares.

Interestingly, Peter quotes part of Psalm 69 that seems to fit the context of those current, local times. Except for our times and that of the greater context of the times of the gentiles, one ought to look at the details of the Psalm. Peter gave a double entendre, again, having two different contexts. "Let his dwelling place be desolate, and let no one live in it" as opposed to: "Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents" (Psalm 69:25). Meaning--for the greater context--let none assume to dwell in their flesh. ... Does that mean Peter misquoted or broke context? No, on the contrary, he executed the context to the full on all accounts.

Both contexts, of their times and of ours, was then given by God in the replacement of Judas (of Satan) with Matthias (meaning "gift of God"). Which is to say, God replaced Satan...with the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azim

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Acts 1

The words are to "O Theophilus" meaning "friend of God." Which is to say, to one who was then in the local context friendly to God. But now being part and parcel as the eternal word from God, the greater context is also to include all who are friends of God. In other words the book of Acts was not to enemies "already at work" within the church, but specifically to those who are friends of God (1 John 4:3, 2 Peter 2:1, 2 Thessalonians 2:7).

Remembering that there are two different contexts for what follows, one local of that time, but also for all included until the end of time: then came the confirmation that Christ gave of His sending the Holy Spirit, soon to come.

The narrative then goes immediately to the transition point between flesh and spirit, showing Jesus becoming "firstfruits" of those born [again] of the spirit of God. When Jesus came saying, "Follow Me"--this is where He was going--and this is where all who would be born again of the spirit of God are to be lined up and following. The indication of this is made known by Jesus being taken up and a "cloud" receiving Him. Another indication is the enactment and mention of "forty days." Forty days is a reference to the forty years Israel wandered in the desert before entering into the promised land. Which Israel had done in the world and in the flesh, which pointed to that moment of Jesus entering into heaven (being the spiritual realm and rest of God). The "cloud" signified this just as it did in the desert, by day. These things were made manifest here again by God to show what is otherwise unseen according to Jesus' explanation of "everyone who is born of the spirit", meaning: invisible (John 3:8). The distinction here that is most commonly made in error, is that because these things were made manifest and visible for a witness, is that He entered or inherited the kingdom in the flesh, against what Jesus had previously explained. In other words, you can't have it both ways, and no, Jesus did not contradict Himself. As the greatest act of spiritual transition unto God as firstfruits--not the firstfruits of flesh but of the spirit--He could have just made it all only visible in the spirit and otherwise invisible to men of flesh and blood. But then there would have been no clear direction as to all that was intended and included in "Follow Me." This was the "like manner" by which Jesus would return, referred to by the two men standing by in white apparel. All of which was to be included in the witness given unto the ends of the earth.

The explanation then given by Peter regarding Judas was in reference to Satan, who just as Jesus was cut off in the middle of the times of this world, was also cut off...in the middle (Acts 1:18). Just as Jesus would then go to the Father and come forth in spirit to those who would answer His knocking at the door (Revelation 3:20), as the fulfilment of God pouring out His spirit upon all flesh as foretold by Joel (Joel 2:28), announced by Jesus, and confirmed by Peter--Satan too was poured out. Thus, these times of the gentiles where the Holy Spirit and the spirit of antiChrist coexist as wheat among tares.

Interestingly, Peter quotes part of Psalm 69 that seems to fit the context of those current, local times. Except for our times and that of the greater context of the times of the gentiles, one ought to look at the details of the Psalm. Peter gave a double entendre, again, having two different contexts. "Let his dwelling place be desolate, and let no one live in it" as opposed to: "Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents" (Psalm 69:25). Meaning--for the greater context--let none assume to dwell in their flesh. ... Does that mean Peter misquoted or broke context? No, on the contrary, he executed the context to the full on all accounts.

Both contexts, of their times and of ours, was then given by God in the replacement of Judas (of Satan) with Matthias (meaning "gift of God"). Which is to say, God replaced Satan...with the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Nice thesis - thanks for your effort.

Now many folks in this study are just needing to read the text prayerfully, and pondering on what He might be saying.

It might be better to bring your good and interesting offering a little later in the piece when folks have had a chance to ponder for themselves.

The general culture of this study group is to seek the participation of all so the 'least' can be heard. We are also attempting to glean personal transformation by the Living Word of the Spirit as we study.

But hey, I particularly appreciated your explaining the audience being the friends of God - that's us :)

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I still think it’s a shame that others are not really contributing to this study. It reminds me of the many mid week groups where most people stayed silent.
Well this is what Acts 1 relays to me as I have reflected on it this morning.
It makes me aware, as in the gospels, that Jesus spoke more than is recorded in the 40 days after his resurrection. It was a time of learning for them, more so in light of what they had witnessed with his resurrection.
The 40days took me back to Jesus’s time in the wilderness after he had gone through the waters at his baptism. This period of time was about preparation of the coming battle ( temptation through Satan using the same kinds of lies as he told Eve )

There is already evidence of the apostles changing, no longer running away and Peter is definitely more confident and being led by the word.
There is still evidence though of them thinking in human terms with regards to the restoration of Israel - I don’t know that kind of made me think about how so many still do that ( just something that I felt when I was reflecting on this chapter )
There is still this mixture of worldly verse spiritual thoughts , they were “ a sabbaths day walk away ‘ ( the law ) they cast lots ( cultural )
The cloud ‘ hid him from their sight ‘ ( he hadn’t gone , just couldn’t be seen )
The new kingdom was a spiritual one, in a different realm.
The whole thing about them looking up into heaven just reminds me of the impression we often have of God being in this far off place above us - that has kind of grown over the years within the church and culture - we look up - the angles told them not to do that ! ( have no idea if that is even relevant ! )

Reactions: Azim and ScottA

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I still think it’s a shame that others are not really contributing to this study. It reminds me of the many mid week groups where most people stayed silent.
Well this is what Acts 1 relays to me as I have reflected on it this morning.
It makes me aware, as in the gospels, that Jesus spoke more than is recorded in the 40 days after his resurrection. It was a time of learning for them, more so in light of what they had witnessed with his resurrection.
The 40days took me back to Jesus’s time in the wilderness after he had gone through the waters at his baptism. This period of time was about preparation of the coming battle ( temptation through Satan using the same kinds of lies as he told Eve )

There is already evidence of the apostles changing, no longer running away and Peter is definitely more confident and being led by the word.
There is still evidence though of them thinking in human terms with regards to the restoration of Israel - I don’t know that kind of made me think about how so many still do that ( just something that I felt when I was reflecting on this chapter )
There is still this mixture of worldly verse spiritual thoughts , they were “ a sabbaths day walk away ‘ ( the law ) they cast lots ( cultural )
The cloud ‘ hid him from their sight ‘ ( he hadn’t gone , just couldn’t be seen )
The new kingdom was a spiritual one, in a different realm.
The whole thing about them looking up into heaven just reminds me of the impression we often have of God being in this far off place above us - that has kind of grown over the years within the church and culture - we look up - the angles told them not to do that ! ( have no idea if that is even relevant ! )

Thanks Rita for your thoughts.

It is interesting that Jesus didn't disagree with their question about the Kingdom being restored to Israel - He just said that it was not for them to know when. Some think it is happening now but his doesn't sit well with me unless there is a massive revival among the Jews.
However I have no calling to study or teach end times, I tend to think this can be a distraction that takes our eye of what we are called to do today.

Yes the choosing of Mathias by lots is interesting, particularly in light of...
Proverbs 16:33
The lot is cast into the lap, But its every decision is from the Lord.

Yet as the Church grew there is a growing ability to hear what the Spirit is saying to the gathered. I don't think lots get another mention.

40 Days is certainly associated with preparation. It so happens that I was shown I would need to wait 40 years before moving into my appointed ministry.

Looking into heaven... event is more appreciated when we read Daniel 7:13... and see what happened from Heavens perspective. (one of my favourite passages.)

Hey thanks again for your input - I hope others follow suit.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just for reference that was in fact the last time lots were cast , when Stephen was chosen it says nothing about casting lots.

Also my reference to restoration of Israel was not really about end times, it was more to do with the focus being on earthly victory and restoration rather than on Spiritual restoration and victory. They were still under the impression that Jesus was going to do certain things culturally to bring about a release from Roman rule. They were not focussing on the spiritual victory that Jesus had come to achieve in people lives.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We will wait a few days for others to join in and comment.

@Rita just wondering if you had time to view the video on the revival in Mexico I posted for background 'reading'

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We will wait a few days for others to join in and comment.

@Rita just wondering if you had time to view the video on the revival in Mexico I posted for background 'reading'
I have just checked as I forgot about the video, but the link you sent goes on to Wikipedia and info about George Müller

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm currently going through Acts myself with the young adults bible study I lead. Some things that stood out.

Verse 11: "“Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

Made me think of Revelation 19:11: “Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.”

In verse 15, Peter takes lead finally among the apostles and disciples. As we go further into Acts, Peter begins to quote a lot of the Old Testament. I noticed this connects back with Luke's gospel, verse 24:44-45: "
44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” 45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures."

As for using lots to decide who would take Judas' place among the apostles, I originally thought this was them gambling, which is something we aren't suppose to do. Looking into it, I found God allowed the use of casting lots in the OT, and even instructed the Israelites to do so at times. For example, in the book of Numbers, God had His people cast lots to divide the land between the 12 tribes. In Chronicles, lots were used to divide duties between the priests.

As I'm currently further in to Acts, one thing I'm finding interesting is the similiar experiences the believers encounter, which Jesus did during his ministry. There are interesting parallels for sure.