Continuing Education

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I study the Bible.
Typically, the NT, and often Paul's Epistles, and this informs my Theology.

For spiritual refreshment, that is not "bible reading", i like to study the Spirituality of Famous Saints.

Most, Recently, as in.. like today..... that is 5 different books on the Life and Teaching of : St Bernadette.
I like to go from book to book, as you get more insight inside the subject, this way......seemingly, when you "see it" from the perspective of different authors.

Fun.

Reactions: Debp and Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I asked you.. "when you were a Pastor", and as you told us that you are now a "retired Pastor"... would you be able to share with the members here, what Denomination you belong to that hired you to be a "Pastor".

You dont have to answer, but, there is no need to hide from the Question, unless you feel that urge.

I’ve already answered your question publicly, elsewhere, in other threads, on Christianity Board. You aren’t the first to ask it.

"Free Will Baptist"?

Is this your Denomination?, as you recommended a College that is a part of this Denomination.

I recommend continuing education.

Why are my recommendations of such great importance to you? They are suggestions, not commands. Take them or leave them. Make recommendations of your own. That is what this thread is about.

You may have heard me say that I love Roman Catholic Schools and expressed my regret that I didn’t attend them in my youth. I’m not now, nor have I ever been a Roman Catholic. I have learned an enormous amount from Roman Catholic institutions of higher education - particularly in the area of Church history and post-biblical development of doctrine - which has benefited me. I would recommend them to others.

I have suggested that there are other ways people might continue their education. I’ll be more specific here and recommend reading the extant writings of the early Church Fathers. I’ve spoken in other threads about reading / re-reading them.

If someone inquired about recommendations for continuing education related to civil engineering I would offer recommendations for that field. Just as with my recommendation of the classes I’ve taken online through Hillsdale College, I would be recommending a course, or a particular professor, or educational institution. No one should gather from that that I recommend every course, or every professor, or everything connected with an educational institution.

My knowledge and experience is limited. Even my recommendations on courses or professors or institutions of continuing education shouldn’t be taken to mean that I’m in full agreement with them. I may or may not be. A person who follows my recommendations may or may not be in full agreement with them.

Continuing education. I highly recommend it. Where and how people do it is entirely up to them to decide. My advice to all is the old Jewish booksellers advice to me (see post #13) -> eat the meat and spit out the bones.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I’ve already answered your question publicly, elsewhere, in other threads, on Christianity Board. You aren’t the first to ask it.

But you didnt tell me what denomination you belonged to .. as of....today, when i asked you.
And had i known, i would not have asked you.
I'll surmise that 98% of the people on this forum, have not seen your previous answer to my question.

Why are my recommendations of such great importance to you?

Your recommendations ??????? .... ive only stated that you would have Christians """consider""""= "other religions" whereas God would not want that at all for His Children.

Also, you have not made any "recommendations" to me...

And..

I did state that for a while now ive been enjoying studying the life and teachings and most of all the Spirituality of this unique Saint.

St Bernadette
-
-
Bernadette 1.jpg

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
But you didnt tell me what denomination you belonged to .. as of....today, when i asked you.
And had i known, i would not have asked you.
I'll surmise that 98% of the people on this forum, have not seen your previous answer to my question.

I’ll further surmise that 98% of members of this forum couldn’t care less about it.

Your recommendations ??????? ....

I’ve made them in this thread, as well as in many others, which you have read and commented on.

ive only stated that you would have Christians """consider""""= "other religions" whereas God would not want that at all for His Children.

I’ve considered many other religions. It has been part of both my formal and informal education. Comparative religion courses are common.

Also, you have not made any "recommendations" to me...

And..

I did state that for a while now ive been enjoying studying the life and teachings and most of all the Spirituality of this unique Saint.

St Bernadette
-
-
View attachment 46821

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about the following proposition: “Continuing education is desired, not required.

There is a measure of truth to it, but it isn’t applicable in all situations.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I’ll further surmise that 98% of members of this forum couldn’t care less about it.

You can also consider why the other 98% would not try to hide it, if i asked them.

I’ve made them in this thread, as well as in many others, which you have read and commented on.

I didnt comment on any recommendation you made in the current Thread.
Remember?
This is the ?Thread where i asked you about your Denomination, and you didnt want to tell me.

I’ve considered many other religions.

You are confusing "studying" with "considering".
And i explained that had you told the members to "study" other's in the context of why these "religions" and "belief systems" are not related to Christianity, then that is a good "study".
But you were defending Baha'i, and that is why we had our discussion.
I pointed out that you were suggesting that a believer "consider", other religions, and to consider them, means to evaluate them for USE.. .and that is not the same as studying how they are different then what God offers through Christ. @Mattias.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You can also consider why the other 98% would not try to hide it, if i asked them.

It isn’t hidden. Links have even been provided, multiple times, to the website, in multiple threads. What is your motive?

I didnt comment on any recommendation you made in the current Thread.
Remember?
This is the ?Thread where i asked you about your Denomination, and you didnt want to tell me.

You are confusing "studying" with "considering".
And i explained that had you told the member to "study" other's in the context of why they are not related to Christianity, then that is a good "study".
But you were defending Baha', and that is why we had our discussion.
I pointed out that you were suggesting that a believer "consider", other religions, and to consider them, means to evaluate them for USE.. .and that is not the same as studying. @Mattias.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
It isn’t hidden. Links have even been provided, multiple times, to the website, in multiple threads. What is your motive?

Well, now my motive is to find out why you want to talk about links, and so forth, in 4+ subsequent posts, ... that are somewhere on the forum...(the link or links)........instead of just naming the denomination that is your's regarding being a "pastor"... in the first post, the first time i asked you. @Matthias

We can talk about it more.
Just let me know.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well, now my motive is to find out why you want to talk about links, and so forth, in 4+ subsequent posts, ... that are somewhere on the forum...(the link or links)........instead of just naming the denomination that is your's regarding being a "pastor"... in the first post, the first time i asked you. @Matthias

We can talk about it more.
Just let me know.

I was sent to Eastern Kentucky one day, early in my engineering career. There was quite a commotion going on near Butcher Hollow and my assignment was to speak with the people, listen to them, find out what the problem was and then offer a solution.

When I arrived a couple of hours later, I was met at the site by the local Sheriff and a State Highway Patrol officer. We hunkered down behind a bulldozer, as bullets were ricocheting nearby, and fires were burning. I told the Sheriff that I had come to talk to the people - some of whom were Loretta Lynn’s kinfolk. The Sheriff replied, “They’re talkin’ to you boy. Can’t you hear ’em?” Yes, I heard them. The message they were sending was loud and clear. I asked the Sheriff what he was going to do about it. He said, “Nothin’. Them’s my relatives.” So I turned to the State Highway Patrol officer and asked him what he was going to do about it. He replied with a question, “How fast will your car go?” I told him, and he recommended that I do it. He followed closely behind. I returned later and solved the problem.

Their motive was clear. So, too, is yours.

This thread is about continuing education.

• Haha
Reactions: Debp

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Their motive was clear. So, too, is yours.

I stated my motive. @Matthias

I was curious to find out about you denomination, as related to your being a "Pastor".

There are a lots of types of "pastors"...

For example, Anton LaVey is one of those..

I also have a "prayer request" up and running for a "Pastor" of a Pagan following, who is located in Europe.

He Defines himself as "inter-faith" as you do.

So, lots of "pastors" out there...

Your answer.... is that there is somewhere on this fourm, a "Link", that explains whatever type you are........ vs, just answering my simple question.
So, whatever is your MOTIVE for not just answering a question, vs, stating there is a "link".... is what you decided.
And im certain that you have a "motive" for what you've done.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about the following proposition: “Continuing education is desired, not required.

There is a measure of truth to it, but it isn’t applicable in all situations.

For example,

The Commonwealth requires me to obtain 6 hours of continuing education credit each year in order for me to remain on the board which a Circuit Court Judge appointed me, after I passed a background check and completed some training which was provided by the Commonwealth.

The continuing education was desired by both parties and required by one.

The required continuing education is desired by both parties and is acquired in various ways. The Commonwealth doesn’t require a particular way but does require that the way be pre-approved by the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth offers continuing education courses which are pertinent to the appointment but is amenable to accepting continuing education courses offered by and through some private organizations.

The content of the continuing education opportunities which are offered varies widely. Some of it is very good, some of it is okay, and some of it borders on the demonic.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is an introduction for the next course I’m planning to enroll in. The professor teaching this class isn’t the professor that I’ve had (and have greatly enjoyed) for all of the courses I’ve taken online through the college thus far.

P.S.

I enrolled in the course this morning and just finished listening to the first lecture.

Why did I do that? What prompted me to take action now on something that I’ve planned to do for a while but have put off doing?

A little encouragement. Something as small as a person pausing briefly to express interest. @Debp you are that person. Your simple act will work to my lasting benefit. Thank you.

I was simply interested, glad it encouraged you.

Btw, I also wondered about your denomination. I still don't quite understand why you say you are "other faith."

I wonder about the pros and cons of courses offered by a Christian vs. a secular institution. I suspect that a Christian college would tend to slant interpretations toward a particular view. While a secular school might do so too, my hunch is that secular institutions -- especially the more prestigious and established ones whose professors are often world-renouned scholars -- will tend to have a more objective approach.

The secular schools mostly have liberal or liberal leaning professors. It is common for them to end up destroying young Christians' faith. Unless that student is really, really grounded in Christ and some Christian apologetics.

Reactions: Matthias

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The secular schools mostly have liberal or liberal leaning professors. It is common for them to end up destroying young Christians' faith. Unless that student is really, really grounded in Christ and some Christian apologetics.
That wasn't my experience in college.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Btw, I also wondered about your denomination.

Church of God, General Conference. In some foreign locations it is aka Church of God, Abrahamic Faith.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church of God, General Conference. In some foreign locations it is aka Church of God, Abrahamic Faith.

Thanks.

Btw, I was going to pm you but you don't have that function turned on. If you want to, pm me. Maybe then I can pm you.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

You’re welcome.

Despite what some would have you believe, I’m not hiding anything. I gave him what he demanded by giving you what you only gently expressed wonder about.

Btw, I was going to pm you but you don't have that function turned on. If you want to, pm me. Maybe then I can pm you.

My own general policy is to refrain from using the pm function on message boards, because of people like him. As a pastor, I have to guard against those who would seize upon it as an opportunity to accuse me of operating in the shadows.

I will make an exception if I’m contacted by a board administrator or moderator. I‘ve also made exceptions for people who are in desperate need to speak with me privately. These situations and circumstances seldom arise.

Generally speaking, if I have something to say it’s better for me to be transparent and say it openly in the light for all and sundry to see.

Reactions: Pancho Frijoles

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sadly, many people do not ponder/meditate upon the word of God and that is part of continuing education. Attending course is just one form of pondering/mediating upon the scriptures and with the guiding of the Holy Spirit we can chew on the bones to see if there is any meat upon then and then spit the bones out.

Too many within the "Church" accept what others postulate without going deeper into God's words and so they allow what tickles their ears to become their truth without any confirmation from the Holy Spirit and their own personal checking out of the scriptures for themselves. In other words, they have become lazy in their search for the real God.

Some members on this forum believe that they know all of the answers and instead of talking with other people, they tend to lord it over the other members by talking at them rather than talking with them.

Over the years I have developed a number of "proofs" that I use to check out whether or not I should even purchase an author to read their supposed words of wisdom. The "proofs" are easy to discover when glancing through a book before deciding to purchase it. If my "proofs" are not met, then I put that particular book down and walk away from that book.

Yes, it is good to expose ourselves to what others might think, but that only makes our "Christian" walk harder as we chew upon their bones and if we sample too many bones to chew on, then we can become burdened with their apparent truths which often sounds to good to be true.

It is good to have a zeal to reach as many people as possible with God's words of salvation, however we should be listening to God's prompting as to who we should be approaching with His truth about salvation.

Continuing education helps us to reach out to others who we may never have considered to approaching.

Shalom

Reactions: Debp and Matthias

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re welcome.

Despite what some would have you believe, I’m not hiding anything. I gave him what he demanded by giving you what you only gently expressed wonder about.

My own general policy is to refrain from using the pm function on message boards, because of people like him. As a pastor, I have to guard against those who would seize upon it as an opportunity to accuse me of operating in the shadows.

I will make an exception if I’m contacted by a board administrator or moderator. I‘ve also made exceptions for people who are in desperate need to speak with me privately. These situations and circumstances seldom arise.

Generally speaking, if I have something to say it’s better for me to be transparent and say it openly in the light for all and sundry to see.

I only wanted to pm with you because I still wonder why you list yourself as "other faith."

You always seem to give scriptural answers and defend faith in Christ.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I only wanted to pm with you because I still wonder why you list yourself as "other faith."

I did it, primarily, as a peaceful gesture.

The long version: I’m able to confess the Apostles’ Creed but unable to confess the Nicene Creed. Christianity Board is set up for those who are able to do both -> that is the historical litmus test here for who is and who isn’t a Christian. It isn’t strictly enforced. When a few members who met the litmus test objected to me being accepted as a member here, I offered a proposal to resolve the conflict and allow me to remain a member. The proposal was accepted and I voluntarily forfeited the privilege of posting in “Christians Only” forums.

The medium version: I’m a Jewish monotheist, not a trinitarian. A Jewish monotheist cannot meet the litmus test of this board which defines who is and who isn’t a Christian. My God is the God and Father of Jesus, not the Trinity. My God is only one person.

The short version: I’m a Christian who, by the definition provided by Christianity Board, isn’t a Christian. Hence, “Other Faith”.

The blunt version: For practical purposes, I’m not a Christian; I’m a believing Jew.

You always seem to give scriptural answers and defend faith in Christ.

My faith is in Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah, the Son of the living God. My answers are drawn from the scriptures (the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament).

Christianity began as a sect of, and within, Judaism. I’m a primitive Christian. My answers are from a 1st century Jewish (Christian sect) perspective. They will often, but not always, be the same answers that we would find given in the “Christians Only” forums.

Last edited: