Are you sending your neighbors to Hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Twisting my words for your own benefit.

/

I didn’t twist your words and intentionally twisting the words of others benefits no one.

If I were you, I would direct interested readers to your many posts and threads on the subject of doctrine. Perhaps you will provide the thread titles and forum locations for their convenience.

You also have the opportunity now to restate your position on doctrine here, if you feel it necessary and desire to do so.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Of course only one is correct but I don’t presume to know which it is.
It’s kind of like free will and predestination, you can find scripture to back up both.

“To rise from error to truth is rare and beautiful.” - Victor Hugo

Being Baptist (if I remember correctly), I thought you might appreciate this piece (“In Honour of Edward William Fudge”) written by Baptist Pastor Warren Prestidge.

Pastor Prestidge also wrote a book on the subject of conditional immortality titled Life, Death & Destiny. If you haven’t read, I would recommend it to you.

He also runs a website in New Zealand which contains many articles on the subject. Here is a link to the site, for you and / or others who may be interested.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“To rise from error to truth is rare and beautiful.” - Victor Hugo

Being Baptist (if I remember correctly), I thought you might appreciate this piece (“In Honour of Edward William Fudge”) written by Baptist Pastor Warren Prestidge.

Pastor Prestidge also wrote a book on the subject of conditional immortality titled Life, Death & Destiny. If you haven’t read, I would recommend it to you.

He also runs a website in New Zealand which contains many articles on the subject. Here is a link to the site, for you and / or others who may be interested.

Thank you

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Unquenchable courage”

I’m close to finishing reading The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come; a novel about the Civil War in Kentucky. The author uses the phrase “unquenchable courage” (p. 270) to describe a Union soldier’s admiration of the Confederate soldiers he is fighting against. There was nothing a Union soldier could do, implies the author, that would extinguish the courage of the South’s fighting men. The Confederates - outnumbered and ill supplied - just kept coming. Their unquenchable courage ceased, quenched, on the battlefield only when death rendered them no longer able to act [courageously or otherwise].

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
I'm just pointing out that no Christian is going to pay attention to a non-Christian trying to instruct them in anything because they have no standing seeing they reject the Lord.

To state with confidence that "no Christian" is going to pay attention to X or Y, you would need to have a comprehensive and intimal knowledge of the minds and lives of around 2400 million Christians. Alternatively, you would have to be appointed by those Christians as their representative or spokesperson.

Humbleness starts with recognizing our own position.
I do not speak in the name of God, or in the name of my religious community. My opinions are as fallible as those of anyone else. I am fully responsible for the opinions I post.

I don't come here to "instruct", but to share and, if possible, to help building bridges between believers.

May God continue to bless your life and that of your family and beloved ones, Dan.

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Hell will be FILLED with people who don't believe in Hell!

Rev 20 They will be tormented day and night FOREVER !!!

Notice how the words "FILLED" and "FOREVER" are capitalized in the post that I'm quoting.

Some people seem emotionally attached to a doctrine in which millions of his fellowmen suffer unbelievable pain forever. A hell in which people like @Matthias and me get from God indestructible physical bodies that withstand third-grade burns and Sulphur gas intoxication for the sole purpose of feeling pain day and night. A torture that, because of our beliefs, we deserve.

However, maybe this emotional attachment to hell is mere appearance.
Perhaps what these people are emotionally attached to is not hell as such, but the Bible as a text to be interpreted as literally as possible.
Perhaps the doctrinal tower they have has built, where their self-esteem and religious identity seek refuge, has as cornerstone the text, rather than the Christ which the text was meant to reveal.

Challenge that foundation, and the tower collapses.
The fear of collapsing is so big, that these brothers and sisters are willing to sacrifice rationality, prudence, kindness, love, mental health, everything. How to deal with this situation? Not sure, but I imagine we should stick to the love of Christ.

1717701460184.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps what these people are emotionally attached to is not hell as such, but the Bible as a text to be interpreted as literally as possible.
Perhaps the doctrinal tower they have has built, where their self-esteem and religious identity seek refuge, has as cornerstone the text, rather than the Christ which the text was meant to reveal.

The fear of collapsing is so big, that these brothers and sisters are willing to sacrifice rationality, prudence, kindness, love, mental health, everything. How to deal with this situation? Not sure, but I imagine we should stick to the love of Christ.
Agree.

From the OP (opening post #1)
Fortunately for me, I don't believe in a forever-burning Hell. Not really my problem.
Do you believe in a forever-burning Hell? (nope) If you did...

Or maybe you don't really love your neighbors. Seems to go hand-in-hand.
Christian Universalism has an answer.

- Does Christian Universalism sidestep the justice of God?

- Does Christian Universalism deny the justice of God?

- Where did Christian Universalism come from? - New or old?

'

Reactions: Pancho Frijoles

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice how the words "FILLED" and "FOREVER" are capitalized in the post that I'm quoting.

Some people seem emotionally attached to a doctrine in which millions of his fellowmen suffer unbelievable pain forever. A hell in which people like @Matthias and me get from God indestructible physical bodies that withstand third-grade burns and Sulphur gas intoxication for the sole purpose of feeling pain day and night. A torture that, because of our beliefs, we deserve.

View attachment 46193
Notice how you evaded Scripture.

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
I’m not calling you fool, @Jack. I believe you are a noble, intelligent being. You and me are like waves of the same sea.

We all evade reason when we feel afraid or confused… we evade reason when we feel that our personal attachments are being threatened.
Quoting Scripture while avoiding reason results from making the text the foundation of our life.
God existed before the first page of the Bible was written.
Our notions of good and evil existed before we read the first page of the Bible. Those notions were nurtured by our mothers at home.
Among those notions is the certainty that defending people of all religions from being hurted is good.

Last edited: