What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of Christendom is baffled by this pop quiz.

Can you figure it out?

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll take some instruction from Acts 4:11-12 here, and say "Jesus." But I also see that Matthew says "name," not "names," when referring to the triad.

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever

John 8:24,58 “if ye believe not that I Am he, ye shall die in your sins. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am.”

Philippians 2:9

“Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Christ Jesus, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus”

Acts 4:9
“by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever

John 8:24,58 “if ye believe not that I Am he, ye shall die in your sins. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am.”
Methinks you are missing a step here. The OP title suggests the question is limited to the name of the Son. We need an explanation for why that "I Am" is the Son's name as well.

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father, the Son, and the Spirit are the I Am, the name above every name, the only name given among men by which we may be saved, YHWH, the only God, and there is no other.

1 Cor 1:10 “Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.”

Isaiah 45:3

“that thou mayest know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, I am the God of Israel. For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me. I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me”

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me make it multiple choice here.

The name of the son per Matt 28:19 is:

A...Son.

B...Jeff.

C...Jesus.

D...none of the above.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 28.19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit...

Nothing baffling here, except that Jesus Only people want to believe that others are baffled by it. They want to believe that the name "Jesus" has mystical powers, and that by invoking that name things like Salvation and miracles take place.

In reality, the "name of" simply indicates "in the authority of." So it is Jesus' *authority* that wields power to accomplish things like Salvation and miracles--not just use of a soundbite like "Jesus," which at any rate could be spoken in different languages, or could be Yeshua, or Joshua, or Jesse. ;)

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 28.19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit...

Nothing baffling here, except that Jesus Only people want to believe that others are baffled by it. They want to believe that the name "Jesus" has mystical powers, and that by invoking that name things like Salvation and miracles take place.

In reality, the "name of" simply indicates "in the authority of." So it is Jesus' *authority* that wields power to accomplish things like Salvation and miracles--not just use of a soundbite like "Jesus," which at any rate could be spoken in different languages, or could be Yeshua, or Joshua, or Jesse. ;)
So, you baptize like this?...

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of YESHUA, and of the Holy Ghost:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of JOSHUA and of the Holy Ghost:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of JESSE, and of the Holy Ghost:

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me make it multiple choice here.

The name of the son per Matt 28:19 is:

A...Son.

B...Jeff.

C...Jesus.

D...none of the above.

E. A & C, and the Father, and the Spirit, and the I Am, and YHWH, and Adonai, and the Almighty, and the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and the Creator, and the name above all names, and the First and the Last, and the Alev and the Tav, and the Alpha and Omega, and the Beginning and the End, and the Cornerstone, and we could continue volumes more, but those with ears hear His voice and are called by His Name.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Jesus" was the name of the INCARNATE Son, and Christendom has subsequently named him "Jesus Christ." The pre-existent Son didn't have a "name" per se -- except to the extent he shared the Father's name as revealed to Moses.

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
E. A & C, and the Father, and the Spirit, and the I Am, and YHWH, and Adonai, and the Almighty, and the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and the Creator, and the name above all names, and the First and the Last, and the Alev and the Tav, and the Alpha and Omega, and the Beginning and the End, and the Cornerstone, and we could continue volumes more, but those with ears hear His voice and are called by His Name.
“Jesus”, right?

Reactions: RedFan

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you baptize like this?...

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of YESHUA, and of the Holy Ghost:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of JOSHUA and of the Holy Ghost:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of JESSE, and of the Holy Ghost:
I baptize in water, if you are a new convert, and do it under the authority of Jesus who called us to be a testimony to others and to teach them the truths of the Gospel. Yes, we do have authority from Jesus to act in his name, to minister in his name. The formula we use can take many, many forms, but it is always done by the *authority* of Jesus, his Father, and the Holy Spirit.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I baptize in water, if you are a new convert, and do it under the authority of Jesus who called us to be a testimony to others and to teach them the truths of the Gospel. Yes, we do have authority from Jesus to act in his name, to minister in his name. The formula we use can take many, many forms, but it is always done by the *authority* of Jesus, his Father, and the Holy Spirit.
So do you say “in the name of Jesus “when you are baptizing someone?