"The world, the flesh and the Devil" should be "the world, the Devil and the flesh"? (priorities?)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So this is a slightly misleading Christianese saying "there are three things you need to be on watch for: the world, the flesh and the Devil". I say misleading, because it suggests that the Devil is the least formidable challenge and a close relationship between the flesh and the world is not a problem. Now I know you can have boldness in the Spirit, but that is when you submit to God. And what did Christ say? "Behold! It is at the Door!" (gospels, from memory) - that is, he who comes for you, is between you and the World. Again Jesus says "the Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" (gospels, from memory) - in other words, the Spirit seeks the world at the outset, but the flesh offers no help. Again Jesus says "He (the Holy Spirit) will convict you of sin, righteousness and judgment" sin being of the world, the devil seeking the world through self-righteousness, and the flesh ignoring judgment. So you see, scripturally, the emphasis should be "be on watch for : the world, the Devil and the flesh".

Now you say "we can't stay on watch for the world and the Devil and then the flesh - we will weary ourselves, the flesh is always weakest, the Devil is always self-righteous and the world is always sinning!" That's the point, the saying is supposed to offer you a chance at coming to the end of yourself. Only if you come to an end of yourself, will you be able to overcome these things - not because you have come to an end of yourself, but because having come to the end you seek God. If God takes on the world, He does so through the Cross; if God destroys the Devil's self-righteousness, it is through Scripture; and if God is resisted in the flesh, He draws us to Jesus (through the Holy Spirit). In other words, God can do it! We should be praising Him for that!

I think if you think about this, you will see its power - I hope it has been of some encouragement.

God bless.