Hearing the Lord, and pride vs humility

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preaching the Word of God is preaching Jesus Christ and Him as the Word of God!

Jesus Christ is the Word of God because His Father gave Him all things, including the very words of God. Jesus explained that He does and says only what the Father tells Him, and we also know the His Father also gave Him the throne of God. So, Jesus, the Christ, rules over all things because He is on the throne of God with the very words of God. Therefore, it is expected that all would hear the King of kings and listen to Him!! Not hearing Him when He speaks to you then would be not only disrespectful but is a clear sign a person does not love the Lord, their God.

Now there is a misconception, propagated by the devil, that a person talking about hearing God is full of pride. The devil is a liar, so the opposite is true. It is the not hearing the Lord our God, Jesus Christ, which is a sign of having pride!!!

The prideful person is in fact thinking inside that they and their thinking is wiser and better than God's thinking and wisdom!!

Therefore, it is the humble person who, in fact and action, turns to the Lord for advice, teaching, counsel, and instructions - meaning that they hear from Him!!

And there is another misconception, also the result of the devil, and that is that a humble person doesn't speak often about what the Lord told them. Satan, of course, does not want people listening to the Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, Satan's methods are designed to get us to not seek the Lord, talk about the Lord, and testify about the Lord and what He has done for us. So Satan wants you to doubt that the Lord speaks Today, and gets you to lean on your own understanding and consider yourself to be as wise as God - so you don't listen to the Lord our God!

This shows up in the first approach that snake of old took in the garden:

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?”

Note how the snakes starts right off with the words "Indeed, has God said,"!! That is the doubt that Satan is trying to put into people and is indeed the first approach that the demons normally uses!! So if you think that you might have heard from the Lord, another spirit (evil spirit) will almost always follow with doubt that it was indeed God talking to you!

And to add to the confusion and also to get you from believing and trusting in God, that snake then tries to get you leaning on your own understanding, and to do that the snakes tries to convince you that you can be as smart and wise as God;

Gen 3:4,5 The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!
“For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

So we see the basic strategy of the devil - first to get you to doubt God speaks to you, followed up by getting you to think that you can be as wise as God, "knowing good and evil". And the thing is that we fall for this over and over and over!!

You would think that at some point we would realize that leaning on our own understanding is just not working for us! If we do ever get to that point, it leads to repentance! Repentance is of course the realization that we are messing things up, and so we regret our decisions. That then leads us back to God (hopefully) and then seeking His voice and words to us. It doesn't always lead us back to God, though. We might turn to other people we think are smarter than us, or we might turn to an idol, or a person might just turn directly back to Satan (like in witchcraft and such) So it not only takes repentance but also a leave of belief and zeal for God!

Rev 3:19 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.

So to get back to seeking and hearing from the Lord we have to have both a zeal that comes with some level of faith in God, and also repentance - that idea that we really do need God in our lives because we are not as wise as God. If indeed, both those things happen in your life then you will seek the Lord our God Jesus Christ, open up to Him, and He will come into you with His Holy Spirit and start talking to you, and you with Him!

Rev 3:20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

And this talking back and forth with Him results in a greater faith in Him, and a greater zeal for Him, and a love for Him!!!

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

Ps 119:139 My zeal has consumed me, Because my adversaries have forgotten Your words.

A good example of this is Moses. He was considered a very humble man.

Numbers 3:12 (Now the man Moses was very humble, more than any man who was on the face of the earth.)

And what do we read about Moses - that He was even bold enough to talk to Pharoah about what God said, and to go up on the mountain of God to hear the words of God, and how He spoke the words of God to lead God's people out of Egypt! So this very humble man, even more humble that any other man who was on the face of the earth, was going around talking about what the Lord was saying to Him!

And that brings up back to what I wrote earlier on this post:

Therefore, it is the humble person who, in fact and action, turns to the Lord for advice, teaching, counsel, and instructions - meaning that they hear from Him!!

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preaching the Word of God is preaching Jesus Christ and Him as the Word of God!

Jesus Christ is the Word of God because His Father gave Him all things, including the very words of God. Jesus explained that He does and says only what the Father tells Him, and we also know the His Father also gave Him the throne of God. So, Jesus, the Christ, rules over all things because He is on the throne of God with the very words of God. Therefore, it is expected that all would hear the King of kings and listen to Him!! Not hearing Him when He speaks to you then would be not only disrespectful but is a clear sign a person does not love the Lord, their God.

Now there is a misconception, propagated by the devil, that a person talking about hearing God is full of pride. The devil is a liar, so the opposite is true. It is the not hearing the Lord our God, Jesus Christ, which is a sign of having pride!!!

The prideful person is in fact thinking inside that they and their thinking is wiser and better than God's thinking and wisdom!!

And there is another misconception, also the result of the devil, and that is that a humble person doesn't speak often about what the Lord told them. Satan, of course, does not want people listening to the Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, Satan's methods are designed to get us to not seek the Lord, talk about the Lord, and testify about the Lord and what He has done for us. So Satan wants you to doubt that the Lord speaks Today, and gets you to lean on your own understanding and consider yourself to be as wise as God - so you don't listen to the Lord our God!

This shows up in the first approach that snake of old took in the garden:

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?”

Note how the snakes starts right off with the words "Indeed, has God said,"!! That is the doubt that Satan is trying to put into people and is indeed the first approach that the demons normally uses!! So if you think that you might have heard from the Lord, another spirit (evil spirit) will almost always follow with doubt that it was indeed God talking to you!

And to add to the confusion and also to get you from believing and trusting in God, that snake then tries to get you leaning on your own understanding, and to do that the snakes tries to convince you that you can be as smart and wise as God;

Gen 3:4,5 The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!
“For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

So we see the basic strategy of the devil - first to get you to doubt God speaks to you, followed up by getting you to think that you can be as wise as God, "knowing good and evil". And the thing is that we fall for this over and over and over!!

You would think that at some point we would realize that leaning on our own understanding is just not working for us! If we do ever get to that point, it leads to repentance! Repentance is of course the realization that we are messing things up, and so we regret our decisions. That then leads us back to God (hopefully) and then seeking His voice and words to us. It doesn't always lead us back to God, though. We might turn to other people we think are smarter than us, or we might turn to an idol, or a person might just turn directly back to Satan (like in witchcraft and such) So it not only takes repentance but also a leave of belief and zeal for God!

Rev 3:19 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.

So to get back to seeking and hearing from the Lord we have to have both a zeal that comes with some level of faith in God, and also repentance - that idea that we really do need God in our lives because we are not as wise as God. If indeed, both those things happen in your life then you will seek the Lord our God Jesus Christ, open up to Him, and He will come into you with His Holy Spirit and start talking to you, and you with Him!

Rev 3:20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

And this talking back and forth with Him results in a greater faith in Him, and a greater zeal for Him, and a love for Him!!!

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

Ps 119:139 My zeal has consumed me, Because my adversaries have forgotten Your words.

A good example of this is Moses. He was considered a very humble man.

Numbers 3:12 (Now the man Moses was very humble, more than any man who was on the face of the earth.)

And what do we read about Moses - that He was even bold enough to talk to Pharoah about what God said, and to go up on the mountain of God to hear the words of God, and how He spoke the words of God to lead God's people out of Egypt! So this very humble man, even more humble that any other man who was on the face of the earth, was going around talking about what the Lord was saying to Him!

And that brings up back to what I wrote earlier on this post:

Hearing the Lord, and pride vs humility​

This post did to me cover more the pride vs humility however didn't point to listing for a person how to hear the Lord. I would think people would desire to hear and be directed by the Lord. To me they are not instructed in the basics which help overcome the satan vs voice of the Lord. What is pointed out in how they would also hear via the gospel instructions. They need to know that only God can read your mind knowing your thoughts not Satan. They need to know if they think they hear the Lord but are uncertain to ask the Lord for a second witness but ask in your mind where Satan can't hear then wait on the Lord for the confirmation.

Like an example I had happen to me...I was young late 20's=early 30"s learning to walk with the Lord and drove past a bill board that showed an evangelist in town, dates, time and church he was going to be at. As I looked and read it in my mind, I hear in my mind "GO" haha I didn't say a word, but asked for a second witness for going, we have to ask. I got a second witness being reminded of the bill board, so I went by myself.

When I got there I had to walk a ways to get inside and be seated and my arch of my foot fell, which would happen since childhood sometimes making it hard to walk as I would have to with that foot then be up on the ball of my foot I couldn't put my foot flat down. I just lived with it didn't think about it when it would happen and had never prayed to ask it be healed that I could recall. That evangelist called out that God was healing a foot, I was like.. well I reached my arch to feel it and the evangelist pointed to me.. it had gone I just thanked God in my mind for it as then he continued with other teaching and calling out healings.

So to me in my learning to walk...Father blessed me with a miracle healing. Exciting to know how the Lord will step in when our heart is to hear and follow.

I should put how I was instructed see what you think under another topic maybe. I would point out the scriptures too.

Now because it was something I lived with and didn't constantly happen, it was several months later I realized it hadn't been happening, and as old as I am now... it has never happened again since that date of healing. PTL

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

are you wanting opinions? I did start listening to this as the one reply you had..but only listened to half... most wouldn't take direction from another listening... but hey you have one that loved it.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hearing the Lord, and pride vs humility​

This post did to me cover more the pride vs humility however didn't point to listing for a person how to hear the Lord. I would think people would desire to hear and be directed by the Lord. To me they are not instructed in the basics which help overcome the satan vs voice of the Lord. What is pointed out in how they would also hear via the gospel instructions. They need to know that only God can read your mind knowing your thoughts not Satan. They need to know if they think they hear the Lord but are uncertain to ask the Lord for a second witness but ask in your mind where Satan can't hear then wait on the Lord for the confirmation.

Like an example I had happen to me...I was young late 20's=early 30"s learning to walk with the Lord and drove past a bill board that showed an evangelist in town, dates, time and church he was going to be at. As I looked and read it in my mind, I hear in my mind "GO" haha I didn't say a word, but asked for a second witness for going, we have to ask. I got a second witness being reminded of the bill board, so I went by myself.

When I got there I had to walk a ways to get inside and be seated and my arch of my foot fell, which would happen since childhood sometimes making it hard to walk as I would have to with that foot then be up on the ball of my foot I couldn't put my foot flat down. I just lived with it didn't think about it when it would happen and had never prayed to ask it be healed that I could recall. That evangelist called out that God was healing a foot, I was like.. well I reached my arch to feel it and the evangelist pointed to me.. it had gone I just thanked God in my mind for it as then he continued with other teaching and calling out healings.

So to me in my learning to walk...Father blessed me with a miracle healing. Exciting to know how the Lord will step in when our heart is to hear and follow.

I should put how I was instructed see what you think under another topic maybe. I would point out the scriptures too.

Now because it was something I lived with and didn't constantly happen, it was several months later I realized it hadn't been happening, and as old as I am now... it has never happened again since that date of healing. PTL

Yeah - this thread was not created as a "How To", but rather that we seek and hear the Lord if we are humble - and that we don't seek and hear from the Lord if we are not humble!

Now I certainly don't mind discussing the "How to hear from the Lord topic" and I have done so a number of times on this forum, but writing: "didn't point to listing for a person how to hear the Lord." simply means you did not understand the topic intended to be discussed.

And there are a couple of other things in the post above that I feel deserve a response.

The main one, and this is on topic, is the below comment from the above post:

I would think people would desire to hear and be directed by the Lord.

We might think that, but that is complete opposite to what the Bible tells us!! The main problem if in fact that people don't want/desire to listen to the Lord!!!!

And that is a direct result of our pride and selfishness!! This shows up very early in the Bible:

Gen 3:2,3The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat;
but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’”

So Eve had heard from the Lord, but did she want to listen to Him? The answer turned out to be "NO", she didn't want to listen to the Lord and His instructions but rather she wanted to eat from that one tree she was told not to eat from!

Gen 3:5 “For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

All that snake of old had to do was tempt her with the prospect of being like God and knowing good and evil without God, and so that tree with might make her the wise One, caused her to not listen to God!! That wanting ourselves to be like God and the wise One is exactly what pride is!!!

So anyone thinking that "I would think people would desire to hear and be directed by the Lord.", is wrong and is probably tempted by that old snake, but of course we all get tempted by him! So we, despite our pride, still need to humble ourselves and seek the Lord our God, Jesus Christ as the Word of God, and listen to what He tells us via His Holy Spirit!!

And to humble ourselves we need to realize that we have pride and need to repent of it!! That will get us His words by which He reproves us, whom He loves!!

Rev 3:19,20 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.
‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

And all that goes pretty well with the other point that needs to be discussed in the above post:

They need to know that only God can read your mind knowing your thoughts not Satan. They need to know if they think they hear the Lord but are uncertain to ask the Lord for a second witness but ask in your mind where Satan can't hear then wait on the Lord for the confirmation.

First we need and should already understand that God is spirit!! Therefore we hear from God via His Holy Spirit!! And so the Word of God we preach is found in our mouths and heart!!!

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,
Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

So we are not looking to our 'mind', but to the Holy Spirit of God to bring us the Lord's words!!

Jn 16:13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

So perhaps we do need to discuss the "How To", part with some. Yet His sheep do hear His voice!

Jn 10:4 ,5 “When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.
“A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers.”

So we hear His voice, and we will not follow that stanger's/the snake of old! Yet that does not mean that we are not to test the spirit, not that we can't hear that snake's voice!!

Knowing the Lord and thus having spiritual ears to hear is something like having physical ears. With your physical ears you can hear and evil person trying to get you to do wrong things, like lying, stealing, and murdering, but a Christian is not going to wind up following in that group! In the same way, having spiritual ears means we can still hear from evil spirits!! Indeed we battle with them, right?

Eph 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

So we test the spirits, and to do that according to the Scriptures, we need to be able to hear a response as to Jesus coming in the flesh or not, right?

1 Jn 4:1-3 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.

If you can't hear what the evil spirit says and confesses to or not, then you can't apply the above test!! So who told us, "only God can read your mind knowing your thoughts not Satan"?? Do you not know that all that stuff in your mind is known by your spirit? And do you not know that what is in your spirit is accessible by your mind? Satan would like nothing more that to have you believe that he doesn't influence your thoughts!! Have we not read:

Prov 12:5 The thoughts of the righteous are just,
But the counsels of the wicked are deceitful.

C. S Lewis wrote a book called Screwtape letters. If you did not get the idea of what is going on around you from the Bible, you might want to read it and consider. The battle we have against the dark forces of this world, takes place in us - in our spirit and thoughts!

Reactions: Cyd

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Eve had heard from the Lord, but did she want to listen to Him? The answer turned out to be "NO", she didn't want to listen to the Lord and His instructions but rather she wanted to eat from that one tree she was told not to eat from!
I do differ with this statement.. How I read this God told Adam not Eve, the only thing then is how did Eve know... to me Eve heard it from Adam as God never spoke to Eve until she ate the fruit and God came and spoke to her too.

Other than that was disappointed that you said most people don't want to hear from the Lord sad
:(