Being a religious Christian is good

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear a lot of people speaking badly about religion. They usually say the word as if it's only empty rule following.

I now see this as yet another sign that we (at least here in the west) don't read through the entire Bible or even the New Testament.

Religion isn't always bad.

James 1:27
King James Version
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

I am both spiritual and religious. Pure religion is helping those in need from faith, not a sign of self-righteousness or pride.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I hear a lot of people speaking badly about religion. They usually say the word as if it's only empty rule following.

I now see this as yet another sign that we (at least here in the west) don't read through the entire Bible or even the New Testament.

King James Version
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

I am both spiritual and religious. Pure religion is helping those in need from faith, not a sign of self-righteousness or pride.
True. There is nothing in James 1:27 about the ton of other religious observances that some are burdened with. You can eat fish on Friday without seeming irreligious or impious.

Reactions: marks and Wynona

Windmill Charge

Dec 16, 2017
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am both spiritual and religious.

I've never understood this saying.
Christianity is about Jesus those who talk about spirituality usually mix all sorts of pagan no sense in with their religion of Christian rituals.

It's how we interact with Jesus that is important.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never understood this saying.
Christianity is about Jesus those who talk about spirituality usually mix all sorts of pagan no sense in with their religion of Christian rituals.

It's how we interact with Jesus that is important.
Hi there! Would you say Christianity is not spiritual? Or does the saying make you think of people who mix pagan stuff in?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

King James Version

I agree!! As long as we look to Scripture to define what our religeous observance is.

Much love!

Reactions: Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is not just spiritual, it is also about how one lives, it affects ever area of ones life.
I suppose I usually think of both. My pet peeve phrase is "spiritual but not religious". I dislike how often Ive heard that one.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I dislike the word religious , but not because of the word but because of what it has come to mean within society. When someone defines me ‘ as being religious ‘ they mean, I believe in God and go to church and am a goody goody. They use the term for anyone that goes to church and follows certain rules.
I prefer to be known as a Christian, someone who follows Christ.
I left the denominational churches because I could see a difference, and felt a conviction, about how many man made rules had crept in, being religious - doing things a certain way because you are told to by someone else. Now the latter comment is truth but for me it was man that dictated the rules.
i.e sitting in rowes, having communion every month on the first Sunday, having notices then prayer, then a hymn, then the sermon, another hymn ect ect. Only the pastor, and who he decides to speaks,
membership where the congregation decides if you are worthy enough to join , you can only do certain things in the church if you have proved yourself ( ridiculous when you move and have to start all over again. …………
Now don’t get me wrong, there has to be structure, but it was something I started to feel was false !

Reactions: Wynona