Bear hunting OK'd in one city, but watch out...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation allowing people to kill black bears on their property while vetoing a bill that targets slow drivers in the left lane.

DeSantis signs bill allowing residents to kill bears, vetoes bill that fines slow left lane drivers

There are various methods for bear deterrents and killing. But be warned, I saw some potential for injury and possible loss of human life from trying to kill a bear inappropriately. While shot and potentially still alive it can still become aggressive. Bears have very thick skulls compared to humans and an improper shot may bounce off their skulls and then they can charge and become violent in their aggression, causing a worse condition to develop. Bears in approach of a human may be a difficult target to hit in the first place as they are moving targets.

What type of weapon is required to penetrate a bear's skull. See what the following page says on the issue. I don't know if it's totally accurate so use discretion, but it can give someone some ideas about protecting yourself:

An Official Journal Of The NRA | 8 Best Charge-Stopping Bear Cartridges

Mythbusting: Shooting a charging bear in the head - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

If an encounter with a bear can be avoided then avoiding an encounter with a bear is probably a good idea. Calling animal control could be a better solution. They might be able to provide a humane solution and might have better skills at dealing with bears. Hopefully they will respond in a timely manner. If the bear enters the house then self defense is appropriate. Outside the house another issue?

Contact Us <- Florida Animal Control

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BlessedPeace

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Grizzly bears are the fastest of the Ursidae family and can sprint at top speeds of 35 mph to 40 mph. While they can't maintain this top speed very long, their ability to sprint fast and maintain high speeds make them exceptionally effective predators."

How Fast Can a Bear Run? + What to Do in a Bear Encounter

how_fast_can_bears_run_.jpg

Reactions: Debp

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bear hunting is different than home bear encounters, and hopefully the bear hunters are trained responsibly. It can be dangerous!

I pray God help anyone in a bear encounter. Man was given dominion over the animals of the earth. And that is the proper structure of life on this earth regarding man and beast. Some people fail to accept that God given right these days it seems on various issues I see on media and social media.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Florida is home to only one kind of bear, the Florida black bear (Ursus americanus floridanus). The only species of bear found east of the Mississippi River is the American black bear."

FAQs - Florida's fish and wildlife conservation commission.

"What do I do if I see a bear" is a section on the above page. It might be something to read if you live in Florida.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation allowing people to kill black bears on their property while vetoing a bill that targets slow drivers in the left lane.

DeSantis signs bill allowing residents to kill bears, vetoes bill that fines slow left lane drivers

There are various methods for bear deterrents and killing. But be warned, I saw some potential for injury and possible loss of human life from trying to kill a bear inappropriately. While shot and potentially still alive it can still become aggressive. Bears have very thick skulls compared to humans and an improper shot may bounce off their skulls and then they can charge and become violent in their aggression, causing a worse condition to develop. Bears in approach of a human may be a difficult target to hit in the first place as they are moving targets.

What type of weapon is required to penetrate a bear's skull. See what the following page says on the issue. I don't know if it's totally accurate so use discretion, but it can give someone some ideas about protecting yourself:

An Official Journal Of The NRA | 8 Best Charge-Stopping Bear Cartridges

Mythbusting: Shooting a charging bear in the head - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

If an encounter with a bear can be avoided then avoiding an encounter with a bear is probably a good idea. Calling animal control could be a better solution. They might be able to provide a humane solution and might have better skills at dealing with bears. Hopefully they will respond in a timely manner. If the bear enters the house then self defense is appropriate. Outside the house another issue?

Contact Us <- Florida Animal Control
Slow drivers in the passing,speed lane,no threat to the public.

While it's OK for frightened people firing guns in housing communities.

What could go wrong?hmmx1:

• Haha
Reactions: Debp and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Slow drivers in the passing,speed lane,no threat to the public.

While it's OK for frightened people firing guns in housing communities.

What could go wrong?hmmx1:
This story of bear killing rights kind of reminds me of what to do if you encounter a home invasion of some type while in your home, or car for that matter, do you have the right to shoot someone invading your home or trying to take control of your car while your in it or some family member is still in the car and your outside of it and they do the same?

Seems like that sort of thing should be a Federally controlled law, rights given to all Americans equally to defend against perpetrators.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This story of bear killing rights kind of reminds me of what to do if you encounter a home invasion of some type while in your home, or car for that matter, do you have the right to shoot someone invading your home or trying to take control of your car while your in it or some family member is still in the car and your outside of it and they do the same?

Seems like that sort of thing should be a Federally controlled law, rights given to all Americans equally to defend against perpetrators.
The bear factor could be a precedent for that very thing.

Yes your honor, I shot the guy who was trying to carjack my wife when she'd just arrived home from work. But I was aiming at the Black Bear that was just to his left.
:ummm:

Works for me. Either way,threat neutralized.

Besides that,Bears don't arrive to a property armed with their own gun. And they don't drive. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Debp and dev553344

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lived and hunted in Wyoming. The closer you get to Yellowstone, the more likely you will encounter a Grizzly with an attitude. I carried a 44 mag for that purpose. Always keeping in mind the Code of the West .....save the last bullet for yourself. Hunting season the rules were simple. Don't carry into a church, bar or bank. I went into town to get eggs and few more groceries .....Had to cash a check first. Stopped at the bank .......Light coat on .....covered the handgun I forgot to leave in the truck.

Tapped on the shoulder ......other hand on the gun "Forget something?" "I guess I did, mind on other things. Do you mind taking it and give it back to me when I leave?" Guard told me that Hunting season was the worst......"I guess you filled your tag to be here alone ......." "Antelope and Deer, eight point buck this morning...." "See me when you leave." I got the gun and all six rounds back......"Hollow points?" "More bang for the point." "He will at least stop and try to shake it off first ...."

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lived and hunted in Wyoming. The closer you get to Yellowstone, the more likely you will encounter a Grizzly with an attitude. I carried a 44 mag for that purpose. Always keeping in mind the Code of the West .....save the last bullet for yourself. Hunting season the rules were simple. Don't carry into a church, bar or bank. I went into town to get eggs and few more groceries .....Had to cash a check first. Stopped at the bank .......Light coat on .....covered the handgun I forgot to leave in the truck.

Tapped on the shoulder ......other hand on the gun "Forget something?" "I guess I did, mind on other things. Do you mind taking it and give it back to me when I leave?" Guard told me that Hunting season was the worst......"I guess you filled your tag to be here alone ......." "Antelope and Deer, eight point buck this morning...." "See me when you leave." I got the gun and all six rounds back......"Hollow points?" "More bang for the point." "He will at least stop and try to shake it off first ...."
I only load HP's. One pop dropping.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is another aspect of bear encounter safety:

If they are untouched, it's more likely they are abandoned. If mom is still around, leave the babies be. Don't be an “accidental kidnapper,” as some in animal welfare call well-meaning people who scoop up baby animals in a misguided attempt to save them. “Mom provides the best care for babies,” Stephanie said. Baby Animal Season: Navigating Wildlife Encounters - Anderson Humane

And yet another aspect of bear encounter safety:

"Be especially cautious if you see a female with cubs; never place yourself between a mother and her cub, and never attempt to approach them. The chances of an attack escalate greatly if she perceives you as a danger to her cubs." Staying Safe Around Bears - Bears (U.S. National Park Service)

And that is stated as a partial truth on the gov website! The real truth that might keep a person safe is that never approach a baby bear or adolescent bear. Keep your distance and look out for Momma bear as she can definitely become dangerously aggressive in situations where she feels her cubs or adolescents are in danger from you in the encounter. A wise approach is the look around in a 360 degree pattern and carefully increase your distance from the juvenile bear cub.