Are Mormons Christians? (Latter Day Saints)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No! We don’t need both! We are NOT saved by a book!
She didn’t say anything about being “saved by a book”!
Come on, man.
But Jesus did say this….
This means everlasting life, that they may know You, the only true God, and of the one whom You sent forth, Jesus Christ.” — John 17:3

See the phrase, “that they may know You”?

There’s only one tangible source where that life-saving ‘knowledge’ is found:
The Bible.

Its importance is invaluable in another way, too…
Romans 15:4.

Take care, my cousin.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She didn’t say anything about being “saved by a book”!
Come on, man.
But Jesus did say this….
This means everlasting life, that they may know You, the only true God, and of the one whom You sent forth, Jesus Christ.” — John 17:3

See the phrase, “that they may know You”?

There’s only one tangible source where that life-saving ‘knowledge’ is found:
The Bible.
Right, I said we are not saved by a book. People do not know the only true God by reading a book! They know the only true God by direct revelation. (That's what happened to me.) Why do you pretend only she gets to make a point? Anyone can LEARN ABOUT someone by reading a book but that was never the standard!

Nowhere does Jesus say only by reading a book can you know God.

Life saving "knowledge" is NOT found in the book but by the Spirit of God. It may not be tangible but we become witnesses, who are tangible. The book is not the body of Christ. We are. The book is not heirs to God's kingdom. We are.

I'm holding the line at salvation. There are many things that are good, including reading all kinds of books. But this is not required for salvation.

Reactions: amadeus

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is faith based on?

Knowledge.
You are confused. What faith is and what it is based on are not the same thing. A bridge is based on a firm foundation but a firm foundation is not a bridge.

I see the phrase “that they may know You”. This refers to direct experience. All one may get from a book is knowing about someone. Knowing about someone is very different from knowing that person. I read a book about George Washington. I know about George Washington. This does not mean that I know George Washington in the Biblical sense for it means having a personal relationship with that person - not merely reading about them. You are confusing the map for the territory. To truly know someone, you cannot just read about them, you must have met them in person.

We are not saved by knowledge. Our faith is an extrapolation or confident departure from knowledge. We know what we see. Therefore, the Scripture verse directly contradicts your world view. We walk by faith not sight (not knowledge).

A synonym for faith is trust. A requirement for salvation is NOT we trust our own knowledge and book understanding but distrust our knowledge, i.e., not reliance on ourselves and our knowledge. This is the Original Sin! Hence, the verse to not rely on your own understanding. This is the fatal flaw of that denomination which is not the topic of this thread.

The CJB often substitutes the word faith for trust and we are saved by putting our trust in God. for we live by trust, not by what we see ... 11 So it is with the fear of the Lord before us that we try to persuade people.
2 Corinthians 5:7...11

Notice the importance of emotion over intellect? Trust and fear complete the dependent connection with God, not intellect or knowledge. Faith is going beyond knowledge, walking, TAKING A STEP (in his name) THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW IS RIGHT is what is pleasing to God - not repeating the Original Sin.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, I said we are not saved by a book. People do not know the only true God by reading a book! They know the only true God by direct revelation. (That's what happened to me.) Why do you pretend only she gets to make a point? Anyone can LEARN ABOUT someone by reading a book but that was never the standard!

Nowhere does Jesus say only by reading a book can you know God.

Life saving "knowledge" is NOT found in the book but by the Spirit of God. It may not be tangible but we become witnesses, who are tangible. The book is not the body of Christ. We are. The book is not heirs to God's kingdom. We are.

I'm holding the line at salvation. There are many things that are good, including reading all kinds of books. But this is not required for salvation.
Ec 12:12And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings friend....
But you are not thinking enough. This is very simple.
In Old Testament men took wives and that was how it was done, simple as that.
No ceremony required.

And Wedding Ceremonies being made a requirement by the Protestants in the 16th century is just history.

The fact that the phrase wedding ceremony does not occur in the scriptures is a simple fact.
I think if you look at the places were marriage and husbands and wives and such are mentioned, it's always within the context of what the specific culture considered to be the institution of a marraige.

Perhaps the clearest indication of the existance of a particular standard to be met to be considered married is when Jesus is speaking with the woman of Sychar, "you spoke well, for you have had 5 husbands, and the man you are with now is not your husband." So just "being together" didn't qualify.

"Wedding Ceremony" is something we say, but it doesn't mean that they had no standards of what is and is not a marriage. We can do the deep dive into this if you want, though it's better if you do it yourself.

Much love!